WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at my collection in more detail over the past few weeks I realised that many of my watches had a strong element of being chosen because of potential future status as desirable collectibles.

This was brought into real focus last week where reading a thread here about dress watch etiquette got me thinking that I don't really have a truly subdued watch that would pass this test.

So I considered watches from JLC, Patek, Zenith. Price was open. As I looked at the watches I noticed I was drifting in attention towards some other watches in the boutiques and again I was looking at chronographs and limited editions. There was not a single watch in the cases that I thought I would realistically wear over watches I already have. The only watch I can say even remotely caught my attention was a Heuer Carrera Calibre 18 limited edition panda dial.

While I shopped for these I had on my MarineMaster and all the watches I tried looked outrageously small and thin. I decided I needed to do more research and after a week I went out again and after looking at many candidate watches including a gold 62GS remake I just couldn't find a better watch for me than the Grand Seiko range... Again.

I tried on the SBGH001 and it was nice but was always going to be available; the SBGJ003 was nice with new hi-beat GMT but looked constrained on my arm and I knew the black dial and sporty red didn't qualify. The Snowflake dial was gone - someone had bought it in the last week and I had not been impressed by it anyway.

In the end this was the one that spoke to me...

image.jpeg

I really and truly think I am done for a while now. I was missing a white dial watch and the fact this has the special box sapphire crystal and the hi beat movement was a real plus in rounding out my collection.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Damn son you're on fire! Love the 62GS case, let us know how the timekeeping is once you've had it a bit :)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn son you're on fire! Love the 62GS case, let us know how the timekeeping is once you've had it a bit :)
As you know my focus is mostly sporty tool watches and I wore this yesterday mostly indoors on an overcast day here.

Today I took it out and was treated to the amazing dance of light in the razor sharp mirror polish hands and the depth of the applied markers and logos.

The silver sunburst dial has a gleam that amplifies all of that and more.

And if all that weren't enough the box sapphire edge creates yet another specular focus with entering light and the case facets....

It's the quietest, stealthiest masterpiece I have had the pleasure of owning.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
That's one beautiful and versatile watch. The hi beat movement adds interest to the watch as well. Congrats on your Grand Seiko!

Reactions: zuiko

·
Registered
815 Posts
Amazing,what is reference for this one?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thanks mate I thought so,is that Lexus CH200 as a ride?
Match made in heaven,spring drive and Hybrid fantastic.

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
I really and truly think I am done for a while now.
heheheheheeeeeee

he think's he's done....

such a silllly person.....

:)

(couldn't resist :) I wonder how it'd look on black croc...)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here's one from this morning. Overcast rainy day.

Just look at the beauty of the subtle domed box crystal and the 3D of the dial (look at the Seiko for example) and hands. It continues to surprise and delight...

image.jpeg

·
Registered
215 Posts
Congrats OP! the dial work is murderously clean and timeless, much envy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts