WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm not a watch collector, and neither is my husband, but for our wedding anniversary this year I was thinking of buying him a watch. The Grande Class Rserve de Marche Dual time caught my attention because 1) my husband travels across time zones a lot and 2) it looks nice. Any thoughts on whether this is a good watch? Any other dual time zone/ world time watches that you would recommend?
Thanks,
Jan

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,201 Posts
The watch you are interested in has the "Elite" movement. As an in-house calibre (like all the current Zenith movements), it is high-class, high-quality but also a little expensive to buy and maintain (i.e. regular servicing every five-odd years). As far as I know, dual time watches can be divided into two classes: those for the "travellers" and those for the "home-bound". The former have an hour hand which can be quick-set (to adapt to the new time zone) whereas the latter have the quick-set on the dual-time hand. In both cases, the "other" hour hand can be set the slow way by changing the time (including resetting the minute hand, that is). I believe - but am not certain - that the Zenith is more for the "stay-at-homes". The archetypal "traveller's" dual time watch is the Rolex GMT Master. Not my personal choice, though - a little too flashy, yet at the same time rather common (Rolex put out well over half a million watches every year and a fair number of those are GMT Masters.....).

Not sure to what extent I (especially as a moderator!) should be recommending other watches here but if I were to get something like you propose, it might be more a world time watch (with a ring showing time zones) rather than a dual-time watch. The non plus ultra here would be the Patek Phillippe World Time watch but being interested in wrist alarms, I have always been interested in the new Vulcain Cricket with world time zones. Warning: the normal Cricket alarm is loud enough to raise the dead!!!

Good luck in your search!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Well, since I am the other co-moderator, I guess I better put my two cents in! :-d

The Reserve De Marche Dual Time is a very attractive watch. Certainly, if your husband was in a business where he needed to dress sharp, that is the watch I would recommend. As a "watch nut", I like the aspect of having a second time zone and the Reserve De Marche. The fact that it can be had in either gold or stainless is a real plus.

So what do I, Mr. Co-Moderator wear? First of all, my clients and company demand business casual. So when I travel across time zones (not very often) I wear the Omega Seamaster GMT. It has the same timezone type function as the Rolex described by Hartmut, but in my opinion, much more legible and in my opinion, much more attractive.

When I feel I need to dress snappy, I wear a JLC Reverso Duo. If I don't travel across timezones, both sides read the same, but I use the dark side during the day and the light side at night. JLC has yet to figure out how to use superluminova on their watches. Something Rolex, Omega, and Zenith have figured out.

Well, that is more than you asked for, but there it is!

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your input. I stayed up all night reading the posts on this forum. It really is quite interesting and informative! You both are obviously very knowledgeable and I highly appreciate taking the time to provide counsel to a novice like me. I will check out your recommendations before making my final decision. Thanks again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Jan,

I read and re-read your post and it doesnt seem like you're married to the dual time zonr but more like you like the looks of that watch and it has a dual time zone that he can use.

I love Zenith and I really like the watch as well.

I think it's very cool looking as well. That said, I just took delivery this week on a Chronomaster GT El Primero in yellow gold with a brown strap and I'm still in awe; I can't take it off my wrist and I can't take my eyes off it. I think it looks great in SS as well; and it's a Flyback Chrono as well and has the El Primero movement. Have you seen that watch? Maybe you should check it out before you decide

Best Regards,

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts