WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather has 14ct gold Union ancre pocketwatch i could not find a lot information about it so i would like to try it here.
I would like to know how old this watch is.

If someone need some additional photos you can pm me.
Thanks

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
I would guess the first half of the 20th century... hummmm... I seem to be guessing that a lot in these things... maybe as early as the last quarter of the 19th century. Not uncommon... there is an almost identical one on eBay right now. Googling seems to indicate it is Swiss or French.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess was around 1900 could i do something with the serials number or the gold hallmark?? I would like to see the one from ebay do you have a link?

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I'd say Swiss for sure, 1890s probably or maybe as late as 1900-1910.
Serial numbers on the case are of little value in identification.
It's a 15 jewel watch which was pretty good for that time. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Once more I have to say this - let me advise you to NOT run the watch too much if it has not been cleaned and lubricated in the last 5-10 years. it's definitely bad for the watch to run dry, and that's too good a piece to mess up.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Item # 320230118433
is one. Another similar one is 110236139802

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
I found some numbers made inside the movement cover by hand, does anyone knows what its means? it looks like 4832
Probably scratched on by a watchmaker after he serviced or mended the watch. They all use their own systems - which may or may not include a date. He would then be able to look back in his notes to check what work he had carried out, and when, next time the watch was brought in.

G

·
Probably scratched on by a watchmaker after he serviced or mended the watch. They all use their own systems - which may or may not include a date. He would then be able to look back in his notes to check what work he had carried out, and when, next time the watch was brought in.
Yep, looks like a service mark ("Reparaturzeichen" we say).

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,158 Posts
I'm sorry but I can see no way that that watch is pre-WWI. The movement has full keyless works and looks like a classic inter-war PW movement. Very likely swiss, reminds me a bit of the old Cortebert calibres, although the exact plate and bridge layout doesn't quite fit..... Compare:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?00&ranfft&0&2uswk&Cortebert_522

I am also wondering whether "Union" has anything to do with the current Union Glashütte.....

Hartmut Richter

G

·
I am also wondering whether "Union" has anything to do with the current Union Glashütte.....
Hi Hartmut,

Yes and no!

In 1883 ALPINA was founded as a cooperative (watch producers and dealers) Name: "Schweizerische Uhrmacher-Corporation" (SUC). Since 1890 the SUC was located in Biel/CH. In 1899 a branch offcie was opened in Berlin. In 1905 some manufacturers from Glashütte joined the cooperative.
The SUC then tried to sell their watches under the brand name "Alpina Union Horlogère Glashütte SA" but these watches haven´t been produced in Glashütte. Kind of "marketing trick".
In 1908 "Union Horlogère"was founded.

I attached their logo and stamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems like its hard to tell how old it is.
Are Union Horlogere and Union Ancre the same company ?
And were these pockerwatches expensive when they were made?

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
You don't see a lot of the enamel dials after WWI - at least you don't on North American watches. Keyless winding was around prior to 1914.

G

·
Seems like its hard to tell how old it is.
Are Union Horlogere and Union Ancre the same company ?
Union refers to the manufacturer.
Ancre refers to the movement (anchor escapement, ancre = anchor = Anker)

Explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_escapement

I´d say yes regarding the weekly salaris you got those times.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
A railroad worker's pocket watch in 1900 cost approximately 2 months salary and was necessary for the job. Most workers paid for them by borrowing the money and paying in installments.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have heard from my grandfather that this pocketwatch was only used on sundays and special occasions, and the owner i think it was my great-grandfather had another pocketwatch for his work.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Well it always helps if you know when your great grandfather lived and was working, if you are trying to date the watch. As Hartmut posted earlier, it might be later than I think it is. It's possible the watch comes from 1920-1930 I suppose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts