WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I loved my grandfather. He was funny, intense, smart, a chess champion, he sparked my passion for Chess at an early age, and when I play I play for him. I have some of his clothing, and my mom found his watch today in her safe deposit box and is going to let me wear it...

All I know is it's a Longines with a Speidel band.

I am curious what you will have to say about it, we are going to consider getting it cleaned up and working this week and have no idea yet what that might cost.

Any info on it would be helpful, thanks!

And here is my grandfather's mother's watch which my mom has...

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: My Introduction

I emailed both Longines and Speidel this morning to see if they could tell me anything about the watch.
I was hoping people on the forum would chime in, maybe it hasn't been long enough yet for the right
people to log on.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

You are really in the wrong forum for this. The Vintage forum would be better. I'll move it over there.
The Longines looks like it is from the 1940s and can probably be identified precisely if you have the serial number off the movement.
The ladies watch is a Gruen possibly from the 1930s or 40s. Gruen has been out of business since the late 1950s and not much if anything of their records remain so it'll be very difficult to ID that one.
Costs to repair vary from around $100 for a minimum cleaning up to a substantial amount if you need parts.
Speidel is a watch bracelet maker and won't have any info about the watches.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts

Welcome to the vintage forum. Your Longines is a very nice watch. I would put it a little later than Ray produced more toward the mid-1950s. The vintage forum has several Longines collectors/experts. I am sure they will be able to help. The ladies Gruen is also quite impressive. I would think that it was produced in the 1940s - but ladies watches can be tougher to date. Gruen manufactured high-quality watches. Several Gruen experts around here too.

Cost of service/repair is highly variable across the U.S. In my area servicing a mechanical watch without complications is about $150.00.

It is nice to have heirlooms associated with great memories. Let us know how everything works out.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I will. Thank you so much for your response.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts

Welcome to the forum :)

I'd also date the Longines to the 40's or 50's, judging by the style. We can't do valuations on here (read the "sticky" thread at the top of the forum as to why, but you could try looking at completed auctions on ebay to see what similar watches are selling for?!!

Are you able to open the watch to get the serial no' from the movement?? If your not sure how to, best to leave it to a jeweller to do!!

If you can, post up some clear close up photo's (macro mode) of the dial and mov't :)

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I didn't find any like it on Ebay, but I could look a little harder. My mom is taking the watch to a jeweler this week and then sending it to me,
but I can ask her to get a picture of the movement when she takes it in I imagine. Good idea.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thank you, I read the rules and they make perfect sense and have edited the original post to remove the request for valuation.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts

I didn't find any like it on Ebay, but I could look a little harder. My mom is taking the watch to a jeweler this week and then sending it to me,
but I can ask her to get a picture of the movement when she takes it in I imagine. Good idea.
With the Longines, once you have the picture of the movement then you can send them the serial number and they can tell you the exact date the watch was purchased. They have amazing records.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Awesome, I'll let my mom know, thanks John P.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

My grandfather's 1940's Longines watch gets back from the Chronographer today after a cleaning and whatever they do there... I'll post pics soon.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The "Before" pictures are in my original post, but I will post "After" pics too.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts

The little Gruen is possibly a custom job. An unusual case. It will have the usual good quality Swiss made movement, but Gruen made, or had made, many fine jewelry specials sold through their authorized dealers that were often the best in town. Would like to know marking on inside of case back to confirm.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

Okay I'm confused, they couldn't take pictures of the inside I guess they had a crappy camera, and they said they couldn't clean the dial, is that usual? They said it would destroy it? I'm completely confused by this... I spent $125 and I don't even know what they did. So, the face has dots on it like liver spots they said they couldn't clean.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts

Okay I'm confused, they couldn't take pictures of the inside I guess they had a crappy camera, and they said they couldn't clean the dial, is that usual? They said it would destroy it? I'm completely confused by this... I spent $125 and I don't even know what they did. So, the face has dots on it like liver spots they said they couldn't clean.
That is not unusual for the dial to remain aged. If it can't be cleaned through normal procedures, it would have to be "re-dialed," which a lot of collectors frown upon. The fact that your watch repair place didn't try to damage the dial further is a good sign.

I would image what they did for the money spent was to take the movement apart, clean and oil, replace any damaged parts, put it back together, regulate the time and polish the crystal and case.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Thanks John, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Update: Mom picked up the watches from the Chronographer and is shipping grandpa's watch on Tuesday. So I should be able to show photos by end of week!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts