WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Here is a picture finally of the movement:
Anything you can tell me about it is very meaningful to me, as this was my grandfather's watch,
and it is now in working order and I will be wearing it with pride.

Longines.jpg

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Looks like nice work by the watchmaker...everything very bright and clean, no new scratches on the bridges, etc. I think the serial number can be used to date the movement exactly but I don't remember where to do that with Longines. Glad to see a beautiful watch back in service.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
The 10L and bigger brother 12L, are some of the best handwind movements made (up there with Omega 30T and a select few others). The finishing is top quality. They appeared in a pile of Longines watches from the late 1930s-50s and really make a watch enthusiast drool. Probably the most famous watch that shared the movement with yours was the Longines Weems.

If you send an email to Longines through their website, they will let you know the day the watch was shipped and possibly to whom. As it was only the USA market with the 10L and 12L designations - it would have gone through Longines-Wittnaur in New York, and of course this is also what the LXW code on the balance cock means.

A 12L becomes a 12.68Z (for the rest of the world) and the 10L becomes a 10.68Z. Here is a photo of my 12L, and as you can see - it is just a little bigger. Mine is a 12.68ZS which means it is fitted with a 'hack' mechanism - if yours 'hacks' then it will also be a ZS suffix.

P.S. your case screws seem to be missing. I would ask the watchmaker, perhaps they were fitted after the photo was taken.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks so much for the information, I sent them off an email with the photos.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Been following this thread. Only thing I can add to the great info you have gotten already is that the caliber designation should also be stamped into the plate under the balance wheel and should be 12.68Z or 12.68ZS, depending. Likely need a loupe to see it.

Also, there is a Longines 11L or 11.68z, which is by far less common then the 10 and 12 sizes. What I've not seen (though I've not been looking hard) is a 11.68zs. May not exist.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
As you can see, the movement is a Longines 10L. Which in general would date the watch to the mid 40's. However, you can email Longines the serial number on the movement and they tell you the actual date it was purchased.

And your watch repair place did a great job, the movement looks almost brand new!
Hope it is keeping good time for you.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I should receive the watch soon, I'll post some pictures when it arrives. I'm really happy to have my grandfather's watch.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Re: My Introduction

Looks great. The dial has a nice aged character to it. Good to have a nice watch with a family connection.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Here is a picture finally of the movement:
Anything you can tell me about it is very meaningful to me, as this was my grandfather's watch,
and it is now in working order and I will be wearing it with pride.

View attachment 592930
Here is a website that can tell you the approximate year of production for your Longines watch.

Vintage Watches - Collect...Identify...Discuss

I tried it, and it would seem to have been made in 1944. That would be consistent with the styling. This website also has kind of a picture book by year, but since 1944 was during WWII no new watches were supposed to have been sold in the US. It very could have been sold just after the end of the war in late 1945 or 1946. However, this particular database doesn't have much information from the immediate post-war period.

An e-mail to Longines might solve the mystery. Use their contact form via their website and specify "Museum" in the drop-down menu at the top of the form.

Contact us form - Contact Us - Longines Swiss Watchmakers since 1832

Longines generally responds very quickly to these requests. They have great respect for their legacy. I wish all of the Swiss watch companies would emulate them.

Hope this helps, and please let us know what Longines says,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

So I'm trying to figure out the size in mm of my grandfather's watch, I'm allergic to nickle, like I really break out and it sucks,
and the Speidel band on my grandfather's 1940's Longines is awesome, but the back makes me break out... I'm thinking it's a
16mm because I did find this one on ebay in silver thats pretty much the same band:
Old Speidel QuadraFlex watch band White Gold Filled 5/8 | eBay

What do you recommend? Can I use the tool I bought from your store to change this band as well?

·
Registered
738 Posts

I would just get a nice black or dark tan leather strap and put the band away for safe keeping. The silver band will probably make you break out too because the back is made of stainless steel.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

Ya, it will, I just picked up a 16mm tan leather band, I think that is best.

·
Registered
326 Posts

I'm interested in helping identify the Gruen watch.

A couple of things that would really help me with the identification are:
1. The caliber-crystal numbers that are stamped in the inside of the back. This is usually a pair of numbers often in the format xxx-yyy. One of those two numbers (if there are two) is the caliber of the movement.

2. The caliber of the movement and the serial number on the movement. While there is no published tables at the moment for Gruen movements, I have been working on a project to map them. It's been a very difficult problem as they had many serial number series running in parallel depending on the family of movements.

Knowing the caliber will also tell us the earliest your watch was made. There is a reasonably accurate table of dates each caliber started production.

Hopefully you can collect this info from the jeweler when it's repaired, or if you can open the watch yourself.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

The Longines has been repaired, but I'm allergic to the nickle in the back of the Speidel band so I'm replacing it with a leather band this week for my use.

The Gruen is with my mom, it belonged to my great grandmother.

Here is a picture of the Longines movement:

·
Registered
326 Posts

I believe the Gruen watch is 1941 model "Cannes", assuming it matches the 14K solid pink gold and the
number of stones

This is the entry from my Gruen Watch Model Identification Guide:

1941 Gruen Cannes.jpg

The prices reflect the price advertised in 1941. The price in the "( )" represents the equivalent number of dollars it would be in today's dollars. It is not what the watch is worth today, only what the price adjustment from 1941 equal this amount.

The strap in the illustration is a corded type, so I am unsure if your's is completely original

Very nice watch!

Rubies and diamonds in a pink case is a great combination.

-mike

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

Very cool thanks, my mom will love to see that!

I had to replace the band on my grandfather's 1940's Longines because I'm allergic to nickle, and though the top of the band is gold, the inside is a silver with nickle in it... which caused me to break out, noooo... this is a before and after shot, watcha think?

Watch-beforeandafter (Custom) (2).png

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

Thanks Trim, I'm really happy with how it turned out as well. I kept the original band of course, I'm going to find something to do with it, artistically in some way. It was my grandfather's and means a lot to me.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts