WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad gave me my grandfather's old Rolex a few years ago. I haven't seen another like it. Does anybody know what model it is? Roughly what year it's from? Any other things you can tell me?

Thank you!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
394 Posts
Are there any numbers on the watch? And what's the size? It looks pre war to me but I don't know to much about those years.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Look inside the lugs for a reference number or send it in for a service and Rolex will tell you. Just don't let them try to polish it or re-finish the dial or anything that will make it depreciate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm not an expert either. It may not be original, but it looks like a Viceroy, late 30's or 40's.
It may not be 100% orginal, but its indeed a viceroy. The case, bezel and crown look all Original. The hands and dial may be replaced. I dont think the viceroy watches were fitted with the Mercedes hands.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The watch is real and genuine and is likely from the 1940's period of time...likely chronometer certified, even through the dial doesn't reflect it.

Sending it to an RSC in the USA would be a lesson in futility and a waste of postage. It's hard enough now to get Rolex to work on 1960's watches, let alone one from the '40's. If you feel the need for servicing, find an independent who's familiar with vintage Rolex and they can perform a service. It's hard for me to give advice as to polishing the case. The watch has family value to you, but not so much value on the marketplace of pre-owned watches. With a service and new gaskets and a crystal, it will run well and look just fine...a case polish will enhance it all the more, in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
It is marked as a tritium dial, something not used in the 40's to my knowledge.

A photo of the movement would be helpful.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It is marked as a tritium dial, something not used in the 40's to my knowledge.

A photo of the movement would be helpful.
The ONLY thing they used WAS Tritium or in som cases Radium. I always wonder why everyone immediate say its a fake watch when its a vintage. The vintage watches have different shapes if the case is not an oyster model.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
The ONLY thing they used WAS Tritium or in som cases Radium. I always wonder why everyone immediate say its a fake watch when its a vintage. The vintage watches have different shapes if the case is not an oyster model.
Rolex used radium lume in the 1940's - they did not begin using tritium until the late 1950's. And if you re-read my post you will see that I did not say it was a fake Rolex watch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the insights. Any advice on a watchmaker to give it an overhaul? It seems to run fine, for what it's worth. I'm in Boston, and local is preferable, though not necessary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts