WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am planning to replace my Gshock, ga110 used for over 8 yrs and has taken a lot of beating. it’s time to replace it.

I am sure m not the first one asking. I have searched the forum and read most of reviews and updates discussed for these watches.

that has confused me further.

Although I like the look on gravitymaster. It has a great countdown alarm that can come handy. And light is pretty bright. But it doesn’t come with all the bells and whistles other watches come.

Rangeman on the other hand has everything you can ask for but is digital. Looks kiddish (my personal opinion) plus it cannot go with anything except casual. Otherwise it has a great tactical look to it. And is very easy to operate.
Protrek PRG-600. It comes with all bells and whistles. And has all except multiband. Which is not of much use in india. I dislike the crown. It’s more of an hassle. Rest the watch feels good. I feel the bezel will scratch easily. Along with glass as it’s flushed.

I need your advice on which of the these watches should I buy now in 2020. I have narrowed down to gw9400 gshock and protrek prg 600 and Grb100.

I need a beater kind of watch that I can wear to office, outings, play basically doing all works.

definitely a plus is if a watch is easily readable quickly, as my job keeps me busy a lot with a less time to spare and keeping everything time. My job involves field work as I am from armed forces and aviation background. So constant vibrations and rough weather are part of it. Where I work Temp goes upto 50 in summers to -1 deg celsius in winters.

m looking for a solar watch to not replace batteries often. Any other suggestion might also help.

I m specially averse to metal bands.
thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Unless your actually going to use the additional features the protrek & rangeman offer (compass barometer altimeter) then my pick from those would be the gravitymaster. If you do want a feature rich watch cant go wrong with the protrek, id choose it over the rangeman only beacause I think it's more versatile with it being analogue/digi.

I'd also look at a few others in the gravitymaster range

GW3000
GW3500 (Ana digi)
GW4000
There's various colours are available for each model

All have the usual Gshock gadgetry (Solar, multiband, stopwatch, countdown timer, world time etc)

These have the benefit of dual time and tough solar meaning it checks the hands every hour for misalignments caused by shock/vibration and corrects itself if need be.

Plenty of great G's out there to choose from

happy hunting.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless your actually going to use the additional features the protrek & rangeman offer (compass barometer altimeter) then my pick from those would be the gravitymaster. If you do want a feature rich watch cant go wrong with the protrek, id choose it over the rangeman only beacause I think it's more versatile with it being analogue/digi.

I'd also look at a few others in the gravitymaster range

GW3000
GW3500 (Ana digi)
GW4000
There's various colours are available for each model

All have the usual Gshock gadgetry (Solar, multiband, stopwatch, countdown timer, world time etc)

These have the benefit of dual time and tough solar meaning it checks the hands every hour for misalignments caused by shock/vibration and corrects itself if need be.

Plenty of great G's out there to choose from

happy hunting.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Thank you for your reply. I like gw3000 as well. But it’s not available in india. So can’t do much. It’s a good looker.

·
Premium Member
8,452 Posts
Of the 3, IMO the most quickly and easily readable watch is the Protrek. The Protrek also has a little more versatility for wearing, in that it could probably fit under shirt sleeves, etc., unlike the Rangeman.

For any other reason, I'd suggest the GW-9400.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of the 3, IMO the most quickly and easily readable watch is the Protrek. The Protrek also has a little more versatility for wearing, in that it could probably fit under shirt sleeves, etc., unlike the Rangeman.

For any other reason, I'd suggest the GW-9400.
What a valid point. I feel it too.. protrek has better wearability comparatively. Can it take beating too?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
At one time I owned 7 Rangeman variants. I think it’s a cool watch, but honestly not the most comfortable for me and eventually I sold them all off. I currently have the PRG-600Y and find it much more wearable. I don’t mind the smart crown, but I guess that is personal preference. I haven’t owned a Gravitymaster to compare that one.

Obligatory wrist shot:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
I find the straps on the Protreks to be softer and more comfortable. Although I prefer a bracelet. As far as being durable my son wears my Prg 330 all the time including swimming and it has help up great. Casio markets the Protreks as outdoor watches and although not as tough as a G I'm sure its close enough for most of us.

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
out of those 3, the ranger is my pick too. parts are reasonably cheap and readily available so after you beat it up for a few years you can throw on a new band and bezel and itll be good as new (y)
if you want something similar but smaller, lighter and cheaper, have a look at the g9300 mudman or the prg270 on the protrek side of things, clean display and easy to press, direct access buttons.
as for protreks in general, they can take a beating just as good as any G

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At one time I owned 7 Rangeman variants. I think it’s a cool watch, but honestly not the most comfortable for me and eventually I sold them all off. I currently have the PRG-600Y and find it much more wearable. I don’t mind the smart crown, but I guess that is personal preference. I haven’t owned a Gravitymaster to compare that one.

Obligatory wrist shot:

Awesome input thank you.. this is what for I started the thread. Ppl to share there personal point of view. As I had shared. Thank you. Watch looks impressive on you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I find the straps on the Protreks to be softer and more comfortable. Although I prefer a bracelet. As far as being durable my son wears my Prg 330 all the time including swimming and it has help up great. Casio markets the Protreks as outdoor watches and although not as tough as a G I'm sure its close enough for most of us.
I think that’s what adds up. We don’t do drill with our watch all the time. Just enough to survive the daily life with out any hassle is enough. Thank you for your input thanks a lot.

It seems protrek just fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
out of those 3, the ranger is my pick too. parts are reasonably cheap and readily available so after you beat it up for a few years you can throw on a new band and bezel and itll be good as new (y)
if you want something similar but smaller, lighter and cheaper, have a look at the g9300 mudman or the prg270 on the protrek side of things, clean display and easy to press, direct access buttons.
as for protreks in general, they can take a beating just as good as any G
Thank you for your review. Nothing beats the easy and cheap parts available. I think the watch can look as good as new for a long long time. And nothing beats that part.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Are you okay with suggestions outside those three? If so, the ProTrek PRW-50 is a slightly-smaller cousin of the one you posted, and its more conventional Arabic numeral layout and black bezel make it a little less loud. It has atomic clock-syncing, but you can turn that off if you don’t use it.

Here’s mine this morning on a Barton silicone strap.

Of the three you posted, though, I’d go with the ProTrek. It’s the most versatile to me as a daily watch compared to an all-digital Rangeman.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you okay with suggestions outside those three? If so, the ProTrek PRW-50 is a slightly-smaller cousin of the one you posted, and its more conventional Arabic numeral layout and black bezel make it a little less loud. It has atomic clock-syncing, but you can turn that off if you don’t use it.

Here’s mine this morning on a Barton silicone strap.

Of the three you posted, though, I’d go with the ProTrek. It’s the most versatile to me as a daily watch compared to an all-digital Rangeman.
Oh I love this watch but it’s not available in india. Not even on eBay. Had read so many good reviews about it.
Does PRG 650 dots the bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That looks solid to me. If you were concerned that the Rangeman looks too kiddish, that ProTrek solves that problem!
Well thank you for a quick response.
Which one from the two would be better in protrek. PRG 600/ PRG 650

1 - 20 of 39 Posts