WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently visited for the first time the Audemars Piguet house in Madrid with the intention of ordering a 41mm RO blue dial. I had already tried one at my local AD but i wanted it in blue. The watch that i really wanted was the RO Jumbo, but i wasn’t going to spend $25k in a watch w/o trying it on first and did not wanted to wait years for it nor paying a premium. I had already spoke over the phone with one of the sellers so he already knew my intentions. Once arrived i was greeted by him and right away we started to talk about watches. After an hour or so talking and accompanied by a bottle of Glenfarclas 30, the seller told me that he did not had a Jumbo in the boutique, but that he had one in the city that it was used for events and photo shootings. That if i was willing to wait he could get it so i could try it on. After 2 more hours and a lot more Glenfarclas, the watch finally arrived. Once i put it on i knew that it was the watch that i wanted. I ask him how long would it take for me to get one. He answers me by saying that he only sells that watch to people who really appreciates it and know about its history. That many people go there asking for it, but most of them just want it to show it off and because is a status symbol. Finally he said that he will sell it to me. I placed the order and four months later the watch finally arrived. My sincere thanks and gratitude to the seller, I will reserve his name, because i don’t know if he will get in trouble for giving me proirity for the watch. Sorry for all the typos, my english is not very good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Great story, and great outcome. Congrats on your new AP.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
That's a really great story! Congrats on your new AP, and well done to the AP staff member for prioritising a true enthusiast. Wear it in good health!

ps your English seems excellent :)

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Agreed on the comment about the AD only selling to those who would appreciate its history and gravitas (well, at least in the watch sense). More acquisition stories need to go like this.

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
Agreed on the comment about the AD only selling to those who would appreciate its history and gravitas (well, at least in the watch sense). More acquisition stories need to go like this.

Regards,
Alysandir
I'm not sure I agree with that. It makes a nice story, yes, but the rationale given by the salesman is way too black and white. I certainly am not into brand history the way other folks here are, despite really (I think) appreciating the watches. So should I not be able to buy one? And for that matter, other than the brand value/marketing aspect, what's wrong with someone buying an AP because they want to show off? (I mean, I find it distasteful, but from a sales standpoint, should the dealer care?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts