·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
18,182 Posts
No apology necessary David! Anyone who loves TAG's innovative approach to watches must love Swatch Watch :-d

·
Registered
35,950 Posts
Still very scarce in the UK but starting to filter through.

Will have to get me one when they reach my backwater :))

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
yeah, 'cos there was a completely unbiased article, with no axes to grind.

I lost track of how many times the word plastic was used as if it were a swear word.

I think a lot of nose-in-the-air types have lost sight of some basic facts. Selling watches is a business. Watches are a luxury item these days, as nobody nneds a watch when all its basic functions can be acomplshed by other devices that folk are likely to need to have, like a mobile phone.

Personally I appluad the first Swatch revolution and its 2.5 million units sales that arguably saed an industry from going under. I hope that the Sistem 51 WILL appeal to the young hipsters mentioned in the article, as they are the ones who will be the watch industry's future if they are to have one

For a different spin on the process, here's a recently posted exclusive look at how this alleged "P.O.S" gets made

EXCLUSIVE: An inside view of the ETA high-tech Swatch Sistem51 production in Boncourt in the Swiss Jura

I'm sorry I missed the launch. I have two Sistem 51's now in my collection, and they both keep better time than the claimed +/-7 seconds a day, and are closer to some of my COSC certified pieces.

At the end of the day it must be remembered it is a Swiss made piece of disposable fashion, that will hopefully engender a new generation of watch appreciaters

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
yeah, 'cos there was a completely unbiased article, with no axes to grind.

I lost track of how many times the word plastic was used as if it were a swear word.

I think a lot of nose-in-the-air types have lost sight of some basic facts. Selling watches is a business. Watches are a luxury item these days, as nobody nneds a watch when all its basic functions can be acomplshed by other devices that folk are likely to need to have, like a mobile phone.

Personally I appluad the first Swatch revolution and its 2.5 million units sales that arguably saed an industry from going under. I hope that the Sistem 51 WILL appeal to the young hipsters mentioned in the article, as they are the ones who will be the watch industry's future if they are to have one

For a different spin on the process, here's a recently posted exclusive look at how this alleged "P.O.S" gets made

EXCLUSIVE: An inside view of the ETA high-tech Swatch Sistem51 production in Boncourt in the Swiss Jura

I'm sorry I missed the launch. I have two Sistem 51's now in my collection, and they both keep better time than the claimed +/-7 seconds a day, and are closer to some of my COSC certified pieces.

At the end of the day it must be remembered it is a Swiss made piece of disposable fashion, that will hopefully engender a new generation of watch appreciaters
Yes, there's definitely bias in it given its from a someone who appreciates mechanical movement. The same person in me cringe as well as I read through it. Although the biggest question I have is how the heck do you service it given how it is sealed up? It is mechanical after all and would need servicing if one wants longevity...

That said though I agree with you, I am a swatch fan, I buy it for the fashion statement. I buy a lot of them for my wife as well. Most of them wear out pretty quickly and I just buy a new one that catches my eye.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts