WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else think it's not OK to get a box made of synthetic materials and a warranty card made of mere and fragile paper when you buy an $8000 watch? Even brands that are much much cheaper like Omega make leather boxes and hard plastic warranty cards. I think it's just not OK, having a great watch in a very low quality box is kinda like wrapping your three star restaurant steak in a happy meal bag...

Thoughts? I would buy a watch box that I like but then I only have two watches and I don't plan on buying more. I would need a place to store my cufflinks and rings though...

·
Registered
91 Posts
IMHO I buy the watch not the box . Box goes in the wardrobe watch in the safety deposit box

·
Registered
91 Posts
Certainly, but isn't storing the watch in a nice box important too?
I can understand what you say but I have never been into the box to much ... I just went and compared my jaeger watch boxes to my other boxes and they may not be up to the standard of my panerai or iwc boxes but the watches are far better IMHO .. Enjoy the rest of your day

·
Registered
40,936 Posts
:roll: There's nothing wrong with that box, sold a bunch and I liked them. The most famous box of all
is pretty much of a piece of crap overall, Cartier. As to Omega, nothing special there.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'm no expert, but it seems to me that JLC may think they are "above" having to worry too much about the box! In a roundabout way, that could be considered flattering to the purchaser.

·
Registered
40,936 Posts
:think: About 10 years ago, Breguet has some boxes the cost about 1200 USD. That of coarse was factored
in with the price of the watch. I don't care to be flattered in quite that way.
I'm no expert, but it seems to me that JLC may think they are "above" having to worry too much about the box! In a roundabout way, that could be considered flattering to the purchaser.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure, I don't want a $1200 box but I mean come on, it smells like it just came out of a plastic toy factory. Instead of lining outside of the box in paper thin synthetic leather they could have used real leather or fabric or even made a wooden box.

·
Registered
40,936 Posts
With your next one, have them wrap it in butcher paper and maybe your new watch will smell like a steak.
Sure, I don't want a $1200 box but I mean come on, it smells like it just came out of a plastic toy factory. Instead of lining outside of the box in paper thin synthetic leather they could have used real leather or fabric or even made a wooden box.

·
Registered
124 Posts
JLC should take a good look at what GO is offering, watch is stored in a leather pouch which can be removed for portable use or for traveling and has a small hidden compartment for storing small items. A great ingenuity.

·
Registered
40,936 Posts
Or the Corum - Bubble Privateer that came in a make believe pirates' treasure chase.
JLC should take a good look at what GO is offering, watch is stored in a leather pouch which can be removed for portable use or for traveling and has a small hidden compartment for storing small items. A great ingenuity.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i do understand that nice watches should come in a nice box, its the whole package that makes it feel special buying one. afterall, buying an expensive watch is not your everyday activity and you would expect it to be special.

but that said, i dont really care much for the box. i mean, i dont keep my watches in their boxes. heck i dont usually see the boxes after taking the watch out, almost at all. i do believe JLC gives great value for what you're buying, wouldn't hurt to let them cut cost somewhere. better the box than the watch.

·
Registered
209 Posts
JLC could honestly wrap it in toilet paper and I'd still take it.

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have two Jaegers that came with boxes - the other two jaegers are vintage travel tabl top alarms clocks.
In my honest opinion, there seems no logic to it. Both my Jaegers are Limited Edition. The first i bought was the Tides of Time W-Alarm. It comes in a pale wooden box, very rough, like driftwood, and very rough unfinished silk inside. It's unique, but not what I was expecting or hoping for on a limited edition piece.

On the other hand, the box for my Diving Chrono GMT Navy Seals is gorgeous and impressive and has all the detail touches to complete the buying experience.
JLC really is a unique brand :)
At the end of the day, bit are in the cupboard and have hardly been touched since purchased : )

·
Registered
209 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts