WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching the net for ages I think I have finally found the perfect travel case.

There are of course loads of cases available on the market and there is always the sock option!!

My critera were,

Hold one watch
be able to hold a steel braclet away from the case back
not look to flashy
Have impact protection
Be not much bigger than the watch
Be a decent price

Most of the cases tended to be of a cigar type, I don't like these as they tend not to hold a braclet watch very well, there were also a few watch rolls, again these have the bracelet rubbing against the case back. There were a few other designs available but really they didn't fit the above critera one one reason or another. I did have a small Peli case and while it offered the ultimate protection it was still rather large.

Enter the Oakley Large Watch Vault.

The case material is heavy duty cordura and is semi rigid with a felt lining and zip closure

It holds a Rolex Sub very well, if you do shake it really hard there is a little movement, but if it suffered this much abuse I would have thought most of the stuff in your bag would be broken before the watch suffered any damage.

It will hold a larger watch, I have included a pic of a G-Shock in it and the case closes perfectly. I would guess a DSSD would fit aswell but maybe something like a Graham Chronofighter wouldn't!! A day date might be a little lose in the case but there is a smaller version available that might suit the dress watches etc..

It has a good level of impact protection, a drop from waist height would be no probs and also offers a good level of crush protection, and looks to offer a slight amount of water protection, although thats no prob for a Rolex!!.
It is a great external size and will easily store in any hand baggage, there is also enough room inside for a small cleaning cloth if needed.

It doesn't look too flashy, the Oakley "O" being the only bit of bling, this could be easily dulled down with a black marker if so desired.
Price was £20 in the UK but they are slightly cheaper in the USA. There are not too many places selling them now as I believe they may discountinued so grab one while you can.

I purchased mine from here:
Oakley Sunglasses, Mens & Ladies Shoes, Clothing & Accessories. Buy Online, Next Day Delivery www.jamesandjames.com
Oakley Large Watch Soft Vault Black Mens Watches @ www.jamesandjames.com

So all in all I am very happy and found this the only case I have seen to fit all of my criteria the best.

I hope the review will be of use to others as travel cases often come up in topics.

·
6,880 Posts
I like it!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Great review. I've got two of these and am seriously considering picking up another. I toss them into my messenger bag when I want to make a mid-day change or have another watch during the day.

The one situation where I'm not sure it's the best fit is for watches with small heads on nylon straps like natos. The rigidity of the strap or bracelet helps hold the head of the watch in position, and with floppy straps like nylons there is a small potential for the watch to move around in the case.

Great travel case, though. Worth every penny and pound.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
Looks really decent. I might need to try and hunt one of those down. Thanks for the review. :-!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've been trying to find something like this forever! Never thought to look at Oakley. Googled the "Oakley Large Watch Vault" and came up with several good options for purchase here in the US. I just picked up two at DicksSportingGoods.com at $20 each.

Thanks for the heads up jdub.

·
Banned
1,219 Posts
Thats pretty cool that, I commute by motorbike to work pretty much every day of the year bar snow and ice and pop my oysterdate precision in a rigid glasses case wrapped in bog role as I am a tight fisted yorkshireman but I might stretch if one of them was in the sale :-!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I purchased a small one on a whim to see if it would be a better fit for my smaller stuff, figuring I'd get rid of it if it didn't work out, but now I find myself wanting to ditch my large ones, instead. I find the small version a much better fit for Sub/GMT-sized pieces.

For an idea of scale, I can even fit my Core inside the small case, though it's just snug enough to activate the menu button. That's the only watch I own that I'd want the large for. Everything else fits really well inside the small. It really ought to be considered a medium.

Trivia: the small just fits inside the large, like an Oakley matryoshka doll. Useful to save some space on trips.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Useful review cheers...

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Have ordered a couple, cheers!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi Jdub,

Many thanks for the great review. I like to further add my review on your thread if you don't mind.

I'm really fortunate to be able to travel a bit in my work. And I always primarily face two dilemmas:

- At the airport, where to put my watch for a body search (so it doesn't get tossed around / or get scratched)
- During travels, especially long hauls...wouldn't just having one watch be boring and maybe out of occasion, in case I needed a combination of a dress watch and a diving watch for example.

I had begun looking for a nice portable, durable case and most of what was available pointed to the Oakley 07-234. Then came the search to find it locally in Singapore but to no avail. Decided on Amazon and it cost USD20, shipping was USD9.98.

It finally came and I had brought it along two trips already before writing this review.

I would say the design is a simple clam-shell. Light and compact. Somewhat durable and sturdy (elephant sitting on it would definitely squash it) but in your luggage or haversack...a breeze to bring around. Would classify it an Oakley trademark - designed for outdoors. It is certainly of good quality.

The material inside is soft and would be gentle with your wrist possession. It fits almost big shape and sizes BUT only one piece.

This now provides an option of carrying at least two watches on my travels. Overall am very delighted with this case.

PROS

- small and compact, light
- gentle inside enough for your watch, hard enough outside to prevent knocks

CONS

- small could be achilles heel for some people. Negligible, prone to misplacement if careless
- pricey (subjective - but worth it in my opinion)

Recommended for travellers especially

Reactions: Quotron and nigelw

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oakley makes these in two different sizes. I have a couple and my wife uses one when we travel to keep jewelry in, like her pandora bracelets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Apparently they aren't making the large ones either, everyone is out of stock and they are $80-100 on eBay...

^ They don't make the small ones anymore. If you have any, hold on to them.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts