WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals. First post here. I considered purchasing a watch 3-4 months ago... who would have thought this would become my new obsession. Anyway, I've been looking for a watch a can wear to work, travel in 3rd world countries, at the beach, with a suit, etc... I guess I've narrowed it down to the black SMP and the PO (leaning torwards the PO though). I initially got interested in Omega's b/c of the quick change gmt function but I just don't care for that half white/black dial on the black faced gmt. Plus, the PO is pretty slick (wish they had a PO GMT, maybe somewhere down the road). I'm gonna ride down to my local AD and try em on to help me decide. But I'll probably end up buying one on the sales forum here. Looks like I can get a PO around 2k and SMP for 1.2k.

Oh, I guess one thing that turned me off from Omega initially was that I wanted obscure watch that not many other people had or heard of... but omega seems to fit the bill and decent value. Must be why so many people have them!

I'm kind of rambling here but my girlfriend is sick of me talking about watches so I figured I'd post here instead.;-)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Welcome to our little club. You will find this group to be very knowledgeable but also a bad influence :-d:-d
There are several other brands I like but I believe Omega stands out for value and quality in it's price range.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You are guaranteed to learn a lot here.

I like the 42mm PO, but I ended up buying a SMP 2254.50 a little over a month ago. Although I haven't worn it much since I've had it, it has the capability to do it all. While it may be a tough watch, I'm not going to take an expensive watch and wash the car or do yard work. That's what Gshocks are made for!

Omegas are pretty much a mainstream brand. However, if yo are looking for something offbeat that only WISs know what they are, there are a ton of lesser known but quality brands out there.

We'll have to give you the forum Omega AD contact to get prices for new watches. I looked at some used ones myself prior to my purchase, but after getting quotes from him, I went the new route.

Take care

·
Registered
850 Posts
Welcome, you'll find great advice here. I'm voting PO (because I have one).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, yea if someone could send me the forum's AD's contacts that would be helpful. I know the (3 year?) warranty would be a big incentive to buy new over buying used.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Not sure I agree with that. For the most part, these watches are extremely reliable and you will likely not have to rely on the warranty during the first few years. But if you prefer new, then go with one of the ADs that members of the forum have had good experience with.|>

Thanks guys, yea if someone could send me the forum's AD's contacts that would be helpful. I know the (3 year?) warranty would be a big incentive to buy new over buying used.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Welcome! Reading through your post, I couldn't help but notice this comment:

I initially got interested in Omega's b/c of the quick change gmt function but I just don't care for that half white/black dial on the black faced gmt.;-)
Got an easy solution for you...a Great White!

·
Registered
26,409 Posts
Welcome! Reading through your post, I couldn't help but notice this comment:

Got an easy solution for you...a Great White!
Oooooh yeah, that one is great :-!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the positive responses. Just got back from a few watch stores and here's my impression.

I tried on the 42mm SMP, 42mm PO and 45mm PO (all black). IMO the thickness of the PO made the 42mm seem unproportional and the 45mm was just too big on my wrist. the 42mm SMP felt good and looked nice. Plus it's a whole lot cheaper (this is the non-coax one). That white GMT someone mentioned is nice (nicer than the black GMT IMO) but I'm pretty set on a black dial. Actually my favorite out of the GMT's was the new blue co-ax with the little numbers but I still prefer the black non-GMT for looks.

On a seperate note, this store also carried Panerai's and I really like the 40mm PAM00048 but I know that's in a whole different price range. My (surprising) interest in the Panerai led me to a different store that carried Anonimo. I've seen 2nd hand Millemetri's on the sales forum for around 1.2k so that's something to consider.

So, I narrowed down the Omega that I would get but have interest in the Panerai Pam00048 and Anonimo Millemetri as well. Decisions, Decisions. :-s

Oh, thanks to the Father for the PM. I'll keep that in mind as well.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The black SMP is the way to go it sounds. It is a great looking watch, wears well and I think it is great value for money.

I am not so sure about Panerai's. They seem incredibly expensive for what they are and I see quite of lot of them on the arms of 20 year old Essex boy traders (UK people will understand) which puts me off even more. I don't mind the looks but I am put off by the number of models out there and think I would get over it quickly. They always strike me as being expensive fashion watches. If I was going to dump that amount of money on a watch I would consider a Jaeger Le Couture Master Compressor. Great Chrono movement and a great looking watch sold by a brand with real history.

IMHO of course

1 - 13 of 13 Posts