WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is one of my first real posts here. Im usually a quiet lurker around Watchuseek. I just really enjoy looking at the eye candy of our members posting images of their watches in my spare time. My pride and joys are my Helson shark, Prometheus Piranha, and my Omega Planet Ocean.

I just bought a new house so I do a lot of home improvement and out door chores. I'm also a master coffee roaster for Starbucks. Irish I had a desk diver life, but I wear beater watches on NATO/Zulu for the majority of my daily wears. I rotate between my orange monster, Seiko007, and an Orient Mako.

I'm looking for another beater to add to the rotation and looking for suggestions, if anyone could be so kind to help me. I was considering getting another monster in another color but decided against it. I prefer automatics, but will consider Quartz it it's cheap enough. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
36,111 Posts
Might consider something from the Citizen Eco-Drive line. Or something from Orient.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Borealis just came out with a cool new diver!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are you stuck on a diver? I'm assuming that you are looking around in maybe the couple of hundred range?

If you are not stuck on a diver then I'm sort of on track with Vintageguy in thinking about the CWC line.

Why not a true military issue watch? In my instance my first thought went to my CWC G10. Very rugged (obviously as it is made and has seen military service), quartz, battery hatch on back so simple to change batteries, hack seconds. Mine was issued 1984 and still going strong. Granted, lume is fading a bit now, but one of these days when I'm not so lazy I'll send it off and get it redone. Just love my old watch and it is like a part of me now as I've had it so long. A trusted, reliable friend. Looks great on pretty much any NATO strap. Black, really looks good on a grey or olive drab and looks really good on a Bond if you like those. A proper piece of kit.

You can buy new non-issue units through Anchor I believe. Keep in mind that the newer ones are thinner if that makes any difference to you. Or, you can find plenty of serviced, genuine issue (Royal Navy, Airforce or Army) ready to go units on eBay. The older you get the thicker the watch case is and the more sought after. Also, those issued during conflict periods tend to bring slightly more money. Just do your research on the seller's feedback and review their listing etc. I say this because they are, like so many things, being faked. Last I heard the fakes are so bad that they don't even bother aligning the battery with the battery screw cover on the back! A little research into the seller's offerings and past dealings will soon point you in the right direction of a quality supplier of vintage g10's. Also keep your eye on the serial number stamped on the back. If a seller is listing multiple watches or has sold a few, look back and see if the serial numbers all appear to be the same. If so, pass on them. Luckily it appears that there are more genuine g10's on offer than fakes, but just wanted to put the word there if you were remotely interested in them.

Here is what they look like. This watch isn't mine (net picture for example for you) as I've just never got around to taking pics of any of my watches on my arm. Guess I should. As I said, can be lazy when it comes to some stuff.
cwc_g10.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts