WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We were in Newport today and stopped in at Grenon's. What an outstanding experience. I dealt primarily with Betsy, but Ray and another staff member where there and they were all excellent. I went in initially to see the Ball Chronometer Red 43mm because I've been considering it as an alternative to the more expensive Omega AT. Unfortunately, they didn't have the watch in stock but Betsy was willing to go the extra mile if I really wanted the piece and offered me an outstanding price, far better than what I was offered by a local Boston Ball AD. Definitely something to consider.

After discussing the Ball at length Betsy showed me numerous pieces from some of the other brands in their inventory and even had my lady friend try on some diamonds to keep her entertained while I tried on multiple watches and asked an absurd number of questions. They had some outstanding Belmont and Alpina models (the first time I have seen these brands in the flesh) but I was really drawn to the Alexander Shorokhoff Blue Royal Automatic Chronograph and am now considering it in lieu of the Ball or AT. I want to sleep on it and research the brand a bit more but may be calling Betsy in the near future to give that watch a new home.

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

And while I don't need another dive watch, I also really liked a pair of Schaumburg Aquamatics I tried on.

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

I can honestly say this was one of the best, if not the best, experience I've ever had in a jewelery store. The entire staff was so knowledgeable and friendly. They carry a large number of brands, have a huge inventory (the entire right side of the shop is dedicated to time pieces) and they carry many brands that you don't often see state side. I was so excited when I got home and saw that their shop is a WUS sponsor. They have definitely earned a future customer. I can't say enough good things about them.

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
2nd that, purchased a Schaumburg watch a few years ago from Grenon's, excellent service, great experience . . .

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Second that Grenon's is a top notch AD as I've been in a few times when my daughter was attending college there.

I know you didn't ask for an opinion on the watches you looked at, but the Ball you originally sought plays WAY beyond its price point and should still be considered. The Schaumberg is also a brand that should command way more money.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Second that Grenon's is a top notch AD as I've been in a few times when my daughter was attending college there.

I know you didn't ask for an opinion on the watches you looked at, but the Ball you originally sought plays WAY beyond its price point and should still be considered. The Schaumberg is also a brand that should command way more money.
I'm still interested in the Ball. The problem is I can't track one down to try on in person. I've seen the 40mm but want to try the 43mm.
The Schaumbergs I looked at did appear to be very nice given the price point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts