WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone out there owns a Greubel Forsey?

I've followed the marque with some interest for a couple of years and I tried one on last week and thought it was stunning.

Pictures attached. Its a GF DoubleTourbillon Technique. I'm seriously thinking about it. It's the only 47mm case watch they make which suits my wrist better than the 43.5mm of their other watches.

I’d love to hear from any owners out there if there are any.

Also, I’d like to hear from the community on what their thoughts are on the brand vs. say something better known like a high end Patek (5004 maybe).
I’m sure the Patek is a better investment and it is a beautiful watch but I think the GF is something really special.

At this sort of price, it would be nice to know that a watch will at the very least hold its value but I’ve always liked things that very few people have got and it seems GF fits the bill.

The watch I tried in question was in black. I would be looking at either this colour or the rose gold as the white gold doesn’t suit me as well.

I’m sure I know what the forum would say on Authorised dealer vs. independent but it’s hard to ignore that I found an independent that has a rose Gold in stock for 40% less than the Authorised Retailer. The Indy is also on another continent so I would have to fly over to see it first. Not that that's a deal breaker. I've done it before for the right watch!

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I admire the craftsmanship but their style just doesnt do it for me. My friend and I reached some kind of thought that there are two types of watches, namely "magazine kings" and "timeless beauties".

Whereas magazine kings are drool worthy pieces..you would not want to buy one because in the future it will most likely lose its craze and like every magazine cover...they change.
Timeless beauties...you can just tell they won't make it on the front page but they will look just as good in 10 years as they look today.

To me, GF seems to be magazine kings and they might be cool to have but i prefer to put my money elsewhere.

·
Registered
386 Posts
GF is extremely niche. Many AD's even only have 1 or 2 pieces in at a time so it really makes it hard for an average collector like myself to look, compare and research.
I have a good friend who is a big WIS who lives in NYC who owns the GF GMT.
He told me that it's essentially a beauty-queen piece of the collection and rarely gets wrist time. It's distinctive and a "statement" watch but certainly not something he would wear if he has to hop on commercial flights on a business trip (which is the "intended" use of the piece). And servicing the piece is also a big headache too as last service ran him close to $8k.
The AD in my area automatically offers me a 25% discount off MSRP even just asking to see the 2 watches he has in inventory. I am sure if you really want to buy one you can always ask for a bigger discount. So yea, as far as price retention, I would never recommend buying at MSRP. Since these are big money pieces, depends on the inventory level and other factors, sometimes big discounts can be had if a dealer has to churn the stock. The market is very thin, so as far as investment potential is concerned, I wouldn't recommend buying it if you are worried about losing a bit of money. If you buy from an independent make sure the warranty card is stamped.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Interesting watch and I admire you for looking into something different. I am on the same path looking at Roger Dubuis. Very nice watches and very unique. Problem is value retention. RD's can take a 70% depreciation. Thus I would never buy one new. I am looking at a used RD but still doing research. I'd say buy what you appreciate but don't take a huge financial hit. Good luck.

Sent from my 16M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts