WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any online grey market dealers who also has a physical presence in NY city? Please let me know and as well as your buying experience with them. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Grey Market dealers tend to be online shops and typically won't let you browse or examine the inventory, if that is what you are getting at.
The reason why they can offer the prices they have, is because they keep overhead minimum - so no premier locations, no showrooms, no fancy shelves or free coffee.

PS. Canal St - not grey dealers - pure "black" market and mostly fakes sold there (although there are some normal jewelry stores and ADs). Note, Canal st has some great used watch dealers - very reputable and with great inventory of interesting vintage pieces (old school Omegas, Rolexes, JLC, etc...). John Criscitiello for example has a vintage watch shop on Bowery St with some excellent vintage watches.

PPS. Diamond district - not grey market. It's more like some middle eastern bazaar over there with haggling, ripoffs, and hairy men with way too much jewelry hawking their merchandise to suckers

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Are there any online grey market dealers who also has a physical presence in NY city? Please let me know and as well as your buying experience with them. Thank you.
I honestly think the answer to this question is no. The others here have told you about the diamond district tango; companies like Joma are online only.

Avoid the diamond district for watches, seriously; it's just a major hassle. Yet, I still consider NYC to be THE town in the U.S. for watch shoppers - more boutique stores than you can count, Tourneau, Wempe, Kenjo (my personal favorite, which, by the way, is having a great sale on many brands), mom and pops, you name it.

·
Registered
36,304 Posts
I honestly think the answer to this question is no. The others here have told you about the diamond district tango; companies like Joma are online only.

Avoid the diamond district for watches, seriously; it's just a major hassle. Yet, I still consider NYC to be THE town in the U.S. for watch shoppers - more boutique stores than you can count, Tourneau, Wempe, Kenjo (my personal favorite, which, by the way, is having a great sale on many brands), mom and pops, you name it.
+1

And not just for watches, NYC is a fantastic marketplace for all kinds of HTF items. Its only rival is Hong Kong.

Be aware the City sales tax is very steep (may be the highest in the entire US) and locals cross the Hudson for common, easier to find items where taxes are far lower in New Jersey. But the rare stuff is in NYC.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
No. But for new you can check out a few Grand Seiko's at 2 or 3 locations. There are way too many places all over the island and boroughs to list for new watches including Macy's. If you find something you like and have competitive pricing most places will negotiate down and tax is no big thing, they will get close. At the very least you can handle the watches you're thinking of ordering.

You are not going to beat the gray market most of the time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the info here. Looks like there are definitely some places to avoid.

How about any leads on reputable pre-owned watch shops? pre-owned Rolex, JLC, Panerai, IWC etc. I saw online there is a European Watch Company in Boston - is there something like that in NYC?

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Like previously stated one of the biggest Joma is in NYC , located in the "Brooklyn Army Terminal" in the Sunset Park section ,the terminal a a vast complex with multiple buildings , I worked out of the Terminal in the Intelligence Division ...and NEVER knew Joma was even there unless you looked hard non-descript un-signed location.
I think most of the Grays are warehouse locations not open to the public.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Like previously stated one of the biggest Joma is in NYC , located in the "Brooklyn Army Terminal" in the Sunset Park section ,the terminal a a vast complex with multiple buildings , I worked out of the Terminal in the Intelligence Division ...and NEVER knew Joma was even there unless you looked hard non-descript un-signed location.
I think most of the Grays are warehouse locations not open to the public.
Can you actually browse inventory there? I asked Joma on the phone the other day if they had a physical location and the rep said no, online only.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Can you actually browse inventory there? I asked Joma on the phone the other day if they had a physical location and the rep said no, online only.
No. it's warehouse and service center.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
You probably couldnt even locate it

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
No. it's warehouse and service center.
You probably couldnt even locate it
Ok, that's what I figured. I think the OP was asking if there were any GM dealers he could visit/purchase from in NYC, so I was getting confused why everyone was mentioning Jomashop, as it doesn't really apply.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I'd recommend staying away from the grey market at all costs.....theres nothing like the certainly of knowing what you have is genuine
Well, there is no way to know 100% that AD sells a genuine watch. To be perfectly safe, I'd recommend only paying MSRP (don't even think about a discount), and tip the sales rep extra 15% to make sure he pulls a genuine watch from the back, else you risk getting same questionable stuff as hoi polloi.
Better yet, for Swiss watches - just buy a ticket to Geneva and buy there to be absolutely sure. For JDM Seikos, some nice places in Tokyo may sell genuine articles.

If one wants a luxury watch, gotta pay... If one wants discounts, good value, convenience of online shopping, access to models not available locally - well this hobby is not for these people.

/end sarcasm

Reactions: kak1154 and drhr
1 - 20 of 23 Posts