WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

What would you do if you could get the same watch, brand new with tags (grey market) or used, when the price difference between the two is less than $100?

For example, I'm currently in the market for a watch with an overpriced MSRP of $1,695. There are two offers on eBay, one for a used one for $630 (it says that the watch is in good condition with minimal signs of wear), and another for a "New with tags" one for $700. Is it worth to get it new? Wouldn't it be better to get the used one and use the extra funds for a strap (comes with a black strap and I want to see how it looks with a brown one)?

BTW, do you think it is a good price for a watch with a 7750 Valjoux movement?

·
Premium Member
20,801 Posts
If it was from a reputable grey market dealer, then I absolutely think it would be worth a 10% premium for a new watch vs. a preowned watch.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
by buying new, you save money in terms of delaying the need to get service. and $700 is a good deal for a valjoux7750. The absolute cheapest 7750 based watch I have ever seen is around $500, and they can go all the way up to several thousand on say a baume et mercier or panerai.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The service part is a great point. I will go with the new one, since it's only a 10% difference in prices.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
For this small of a price differential, I would buy new every time.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Grey.....Sometimes you even get a factory warranty in there too. Happened to me 3 times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts