WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tough choice to make. Usually ill buy from an AD, especially a local AD if its an expensive piece since I like to see and touch what im going to buy.
Anyways, this one watch im after is a limited edition. Limited to only 500 pieces.
My local AD isnt able to source one, and im having a tough time finding one through a online AD. But I did find one through a grey market site claiming its authenticity. It wont come with manufacturers warranty as you know. But is itworth it going for this particular piece through grey market considering the grey market price is in the $8k range?
Its a real tough choice for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If they're willing to meet you in an AD to authenticate it then I would be ok with the deal. There are a lot of very good replicas out there now which even some jewellers would have trouble distinguishing from the real thing. Which watch is it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its an online grey market dealer and im nowhere near them. So going to get it authenticated isnt possible. I'd cry if I paid that kinda money and got a replica. Thats why ive always been hesitant buying watches online.

Its a Zenith El Primero 410 in the dark grey dial. Theres a white dial version as well that isnt limited, but I like the dark grey more.

·
Registered
14,911 Posts
Is the grey established with ratings/past comments? If so, it would make me more comfortable, if not dunno. If they have history, do they have a return policy? If so, I'd (have done it) tell them I will be sending it in for authentication and will return if negative . . . .

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Its an online grey market dealer and im nowhere near them. So going to get it authenticated isnt possible. I'd cry if I paid that kinda money and got a replica. Thats why ive always been hesitant buying watches online.
When you buy any expensive new watch, the first thing you do is take it to a trusted watchmaker for authentication and to make sure that it's running fine. (Even a watch straight from an AD can have unexpected mechanical problems.) If it turns out to be fake, you get that in writing from the watchmaker, charge back your credit card, and come away with no loss.

That said, if the dealer is legit you should be able to figure that out with some research in advance.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
It depends on who the grey market dealer is. Some have proven themselves many times over, and they can be searched here.

If it comes in and you are not pleased, they will probably provide a full refund. Check their return policy.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
If it is a "trusted" GM dealer then you should be fine. Tell us who the dealer is and you can get some references.

The real question for me is can the GM actually source it. Many (most) GM sites list tons of watches they don't actually have, they take your money and try to source the watch often with 4-8 weeks as the time frame, if they can't find it they refund. Before you get too stressed about this call the GM dealer and make sure the watch is in stock and can ship in a timely manner. If it is not in stock considering it is a LE they well may not be able to source it in the long run but it may be worth the attempt if you REALLY want THAT watch.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
If it is a "trusted" GM dealer then you should be fine. Tell us who the dealer is and you can get some references.

The real question for me is can the GM actually source it. Many (most) GM sites list tons of watches they don't actually have, they take your money and try to source the watch often with 4-8 weeks as the time frame, if they can't find it they refund. Before you get too stressed about this call the GM dealer and make sure the watch is in stock and can ship in a timely manner. If it is not in stock considering it is a LE they well may not be able to source it in the long run but it may be worth the attempt if you REALLY want THAT watch.
+1 Never send grey market dealers money unless it's in stock. They will hold your money and look for it and since it sounds rare then they are not doing to find it either.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,052 Posts
It depends on who the grey market dealer is. Some have proven themselves many times over, and they can be searched here.

If it comes in and you are not pleased, they will probably provide a full refund. Check their return policy.
This. Buy the seller before buying the watch.

·
Premium Member
20,801 Posts
If it is an El Primero with a display caseback, then it should be easy to verify its authenticity. However, as others have said, many of the grey market dealers of high-end watches do not have the watch in stock and will only source the watch after a buyer requests it. If you're truly fixated about a limited edition watch, you might consider doing the leg work yourself, and contacting other authorized dealers to see if they have one in stock.

·
Registered
29,121 Posts
I would make sure you know in full detail their return policy and I would also ask for references as for a watch of that price, they should be more than able to provide other buyers feedback.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
You mentioned trying some online ADs, have you tried calling other non-local brick and mortar ADs to see if they are willing to ship? Maybe the US distributor could help you find one in stock. I've had luck doing this with bicycles.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
A lot of these guys feel morally obligated to over pay for a watch so they can say "I got this from an A.D.".
I never felt that way.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great informative feedbacks everyone!

Not sure if im allowed to post the company name, but im going to post it anyways to see if i can get more feedbacks from this particular grey market seller. The name is Luxurybazaar.com. Their website looks promising, but i've never bought from them before.

·
Registered
14,911 Posts
Purchased this through Luxurybazaar, no complaints, turned out well . . .

Attachments

Reactions: mleok

·
Premium Member
20,801 Posts
Purchased this through Luxurybazaar, no complaints, turned out well . . .

Wow, the 15202ST in stainless steel, that's a hard one to come by, I've only seen it once in the metal in an AD in Marseille.

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
14,911 Posts
Wow, the 15202ST in stainless steel, that's a hard one to come by, I've only seen it once in the metal in an AD in Marseille.
Thx mleok! Yeah, when I acquired, it was far and few between (timing I guess) so I didn't hesitate. Now I see it more regularly, primarily on the RolexForums new sales listings. Prices have gone up, glad I got it back awhile . . .

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Got this from Luxury Bazaar...Came directly from a Swiss AD with stamped/ signed warranty card.
001.JPG
Took 3-4 weeks to get it...but well worth it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts