WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Grey Market Watches

10K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  mpalmer 
#1 ·
Soooooo im planning to get a grey market watch off Jomashop and I have 2 questions.
1.If there is no manufacture warranty can I still take it there for repairs? if not what do i do after the 2 year warranty off Jomashop expires?

2.I read Jomashop is a legit seller but read some of his feed backs and some claim he sold them fake watches could this be true? or just a jealous competitor?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
You will not be able to take it to the manufacturer for repairs but depending on the brand grey market sellers sometimes offer BETTER warranties than the manufacturer.

Jomashop does not sell fake merchandise, I don't believe it's jealous competitors leaving fake reviews, It's most likely misinformed customers getting a defective watch getting pissed off and ranting and making up the worst review possible.

#6 ·
You will not be able to take it to the manufacturer for repairs but depending on the brand grey market sellers sometimes offer BETTER warranties than manufacturer
This is actually the only thing I would worry about. While gray dealers do have their own warranty, they do not have access to OEM parts thus possibly getting rejected by the actual manufacturer to work on if you send the watch in at a later time.

#3 ·
I only buy grey market because I would never pay the OUTRAGEOUS prices that you pay for any watch at an AD.

THAT said - I am not buying high-end pieces - and I consider the warranty to be out the window. BUT If I was buying a watch over, say $500, than I would want a warranty and would then go to an AD.

As for Jomashop - I have had a bad experience, and a good experience, but I would have no reason to think that they would sell fake watches.

In fact, when I read reviews about "fake watches" on Amazon or wherever, I always consider it nonsense from angry customers or people who don't know what they are talking about. Especially when it is a $50 watch, or the company has had thousands and thousands of transactions over many years. Are they really gonna slip in a fake Seiko to ruin their profitable, long standing business? Very unlikely.

#4 ·
Jomashop is a fine store, I wouldn't worry about them.

After Jomashop's warranty expires, you can always take your watch to an authorized service center and pay to have any work done. There are also good watch service people in many places that will be able to service your watch. You just have to find the good ones.

Reactions: LeeroyDaBoy
#8 · (Edited)
1) In some cases the Jomashop warranty is even better than the manufacturer's warranty, because it's two years versus one year for many. After the Jomashop warranty expires you can send it to a manufacturer's service center for repair. You will simply pay the cost of repairing it exactly as you would if it was purchased from and AD and the warranty was expired. The only difference is that, up until the warranty expires, you will send the watch to Jomashop for warranty service rather than the manufacturer's service center. After the warranty expires, you can have whoever you want service it (manufacturer's service center or local watchmaker).

Jomashop will not provide you with a manufacturer's warranty card. They will instead provide their own warranty information so there's no confusion (you wouldn't be able to use the manufacturer's warranty card, anyway).

2) Totally untrue; spoken by people who don't know what they're talking about.

You will not be able to take it to the manufacturer for repairs...
This is correct only if you're trying to get a grey market market watch serviced under warranty by the manufacture (which they won't do). You can send a grey market watch to the manufacturer for service at any time (they won't turn you down); you simply pay them for the service the same way you would if you took it to any other place for repairs.

#14 ·
Could you name some, ones that are sold by AD's outside of Europe?
Although most major brands have been moving to longer warranties in recent years, a small number (IWC comes immediately to mind), still offer a 1 year warranty. Jomashop, however, will cover IWC with their own warranty for 2 years. Micro-brands commonly have 1 year warranties, but you typically won't find micro-brands sold through grey market dealers.

#10 ·
I live on the other side of the pond so to speak and have heard only good things about Jomashop. That's the downside of the internet - some idiot with an axe to grind can start the warning signals flashing but hopefully there have been enough posters on this thread saying positive things about Jomashop to put any fears you may have to rest.

#28 ·
I have purchased from Jomashop from my wife. Jomashop is legitimate and sells authentic watches. I have never heard anyone say they received anything but authentic watches from Jomashop, so I have my doubts about the credibility of your source.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.