WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so aside from not getting a manufacturer's warranty on the watch, what are the other downsides? If it's one of the more reputable sites (if there is such a thing) are the watches at least 100 percent authentic? Basically I'm trying to talk myself out of pulling the trigger on a new watch thats 33 percent off of retail. It's a breitling navi. Has anyone heard of or had any bad experiences on any of these sites like jomashop? Serial numbers not where they are supposed to be, fakes, horrible time keeping and such? Only bad reviews I can find on the site are bad customer service experiences and long waits for servicing but I can deal with that to save 2500 bucks. Thoughts? Advice?

Reactions: rdigate

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I bought a few grey market Rados from Ashford. Definitely not fake, lots and lots cheaper than in the rado shops here in hong kong.
Ashford offers the guarantee if it breaks.
Perfect for me.

·
Premium Member
40,622 Posts
Non-manufacturers warranty is the main thing as far as I'm concerned. As long as you know that and you do your homework regarding customer service, stock/shipping availability/times then you're good to go.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I do it in some instances but I feel guilty sometimes because a friend is an AD for a brand I like. I try to buy from him first.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I ask them they say they buy from an authorized dealer in bulk (probably in europe) and that's why they can sell them at such a discount. They also say that 'dealer' keeps the warranty cards on file and that all repairs are sent in to the manufacturer just like you would if you sent in yourself but you use two middlemen instead hmm.

Reactions: JaySayKay

·
Registered
426 Posts
I understand you my friend. I'm thinking of buying a PP or a JLC, but I'm really unsure weather to trust Gray market dealer. But those discounts are really attractive. If I save 20-30% on a watch that's worth 30-40k it means having money for another beautiful watch. Tempting

·
Registered
544 Posts
Authorised dealers supply grey market dealers. They are only going to supply them with the stuff they can't sell, whether it's due to lack of demand or bad examples, let's say a member of staff dropped the watch, or something was not right, they may move that watch grey market.

I bought a Tudor from the UK's most trusted grey dealer. It arrived with some straps missing and a dent on the lug. Luckily I filmed myself unboxing it so they could not claim I did it. Got my money back and bought from an AD. Only ended up costing me a few hundred more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Authorised dealers supply grey market dealers. They are only going to supply them with the stuff they can't sell, whether it's due to lack of demand or bad examples, let's say a member of staff dropped the watch, or something was not right, they may move that watch grey market.

I bought a Tudor from the UK's most trusted grey dealer. It arrived with some straps missing and a dent on the lug. Luckily I filmed myself unboxing it so they could not claim I did it. Got my money back and bought from an AD. Only ended up costing me a few hundred more.
Hello, could you tell me which dealer is that UK's most trusted dealer? since i'm thinking about my next buy and it may be from grey market, I have a couple of sites but i think one of them is based in Germany, I just want to know who did you buy from to avoid.
thanks

·
Premium Member
70,279 Posts
Many of the grey market dealers have a reputation to uphold so the last thing they want to be associated with is funny watches. If you stick to one of the big suppliers you're almost guaranteed the real thing.

·
Registered
15,879 Posts
Depends on comfort level I guess, these are all bought new from gray/resellers, some with manufacturer warranty, no complaints/problems, very satisfied and will continue to do the dance with them for future purchases if/when available, do what you can live with . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Depends on comfort level I guess, these are all bought new from gray/resellers, some with manufacturer warranty, no complaints/problems, very satisfied and will continue to do the dance with them for future purchases if/when available, do what you can live with . . .
Could you share the name of the dealer? Great collection you have there! Thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
These sites get watches cheaper for a reason.
Some ADs are obliged to move somewhere the watches that were not sold for more than a year. So you can buy a "new" watch which was produced several years ago.

·
Registered
15,879 Posts
Could you share the name of the dealer? Great collection you have there! Thanks for sharing
These came from PrestigeTime, TimePiecePerfection, Watchmaxx and davidSW . . . I've also used LuxuryBazaar for others . . .

Reactions: crash525

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Ok so aside from not getting a manufacturer's warranty on the watch, what are the other downsides? If it's one of the more reputable sites (if there is such a thing) are the watches at least 100 percent authentic? Basically I'm trying to talk myself out of pulling the trigger on a new watch thats 33 percent off of retail. It's a breitling navi. Has anyone heard of or had any bad experiences on any of these sites like jomashop? Serial numbers not where they are supposed to be, fakes, horrible time keeping and such? Only bad reviews I can find on the site are bad customer service experiences and long waits for servicing but I can deal with that to save 2500 bucks. Thoughts? Advice?
search dude!!! this is only the millionth time this has been brought up

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Bad examples? I certainly hope that doesn't mean defective or broken?

·
Premium Member
6,299 Posts
No manufacturer warranty - Might not matter if you plan to use a local watchmaker but when you sell your watch, you're take a hit for not having it.

A friend of mine brought a Tag Heuer from a reputable grey market website, the serial number was polished off.

I brought an Omega Seamaster from a reputable grey market website, it turned out to be a fake. Almost got scammed but I disputed the amount with my credit card company.

Search "Jomashop" on WUS and there are dozens of nightmare stories involving poor customer service, customers being sent used watches.

I would pay more, buying from an AD, for some peace of mind. With some minimum amount of negotiating skill, you can get almost the same discount at an AD. I would even suggest using a watch broker to help you. The legit ones will source their watches from an AD anyways, are factory fresh and comes with the warranty and serial numbers intact.

It's also good to establish a relationship with one or two local AD's especially if you plan to grow your collection. You might pay a bit more for your first watch, but you'll end up saving more on your subsequent purchases.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I bought from a very well known UK source of used..often nearly new....watches and had a dreadful time; I couldn't get my money back and felt very poorly treated. As people have said, ADs sell these watches on because they want to get rid of them.
There are no free lunches; In future I'd try hard to buy from an AD.
I know a lot of people feel quite comfortable with the grey market, I'm not one of them.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts