WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apparently Kobolds are stealthily attaching themselves to people's wrists at an alarming rate based on forum posts.
Greetings. My name is Louis, and I just received a used smg-1 non-tactical from a fellow forum member. Over the past week I've solicited the opinions of a few members including lichmd and mith for their opinions on this watch and thanks to their feedback, I purchased the SMG-1 two days ago. I had debated originally between chronometer's and lawus' tactical phantom, but decided against PVD and wanted a simpler dial, so the smg-1 won out.
The delivery of the watch was a pretty cool experience. I ordered it by USPS express and was worried it was going to be late but then a black mercedes pulled up to my house and the postmaster herself delivered it to me by hand from her personal car because she was worried the delivery truck wouldn't make it before 3 p.m. The watch definitely made quite an impressive entrance.
As for pictures, I am in the process of acquiring a camera since my old one has been "taken out back" after 7 years of rough handling and travels...so pictures will have to wait. My first impression of the watch is that it is incredibly light and the lume is fantastic for my purposes. It is currently on a black widow strap but I may have to change that out as it is a bit too fat for my relatively small wrists. I may switch it to the Ti bracelet, but am not a big bracelet fan in general. Any how, I'm happy to join all of you and hope to contribute to the forum. Good day all.

-Louis

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Welcome Louis! Can't wait to see some pics. The SMG-1 would definitely be one of my few if I could afford one. :-! It uses the same Ti case as my SOA and IMO the case size is perfect. Congrats on a great pick up!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Louis,
welcome to the SMG owners club!
I'm glad to hear it made a splash even before arriving at your place.
I wear my SMG on a Delaurian BW, a GS T Moro, the Ted Su kevlar, A Julien Landa blue jean and my wrists aren't big. I think you'll find it quite comfortable on a Nato as well.
Again welcome to the club and enjoy!
J

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Louis, Congrats! Although you should have purchased my watch.:-d Either way welcome to this addiction. Koboldians welcome you. If your happy and know it clap your hands! :-! Post photos when you can.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the kind words. As mentioned by others in previous posts, the sense of community on this forum is a powerful draw to Kobold watches. Even though my work and studies are in the field of psychology, I'm no more resistant to the allure of joining a group of like minded, intelligent folks who appreciate craftsmanship. Also, I must admit that the diversity of this group made me feel like I could belong here as well. And by diversity I am referring to gender, ethnic, political, and social class differences. It's great to know that we're all united at the very least by admiration of these timepieces.

In just wearing my watch for a few hours, I've already been asked by a few people what kind of watch it is. And you know what? I never at any point felt the need to tell them the cost of this watch or the prestige it has in certain circles...I just talked about the unique owner and the features/development of the watch. I LOVE the stealthy nature of this watch. It matters little to me whether the people thought this was a 50 dollar watch or a 5,000 dollar watch. I bet a lot of people from this forum feel that way...more than people in other high end watch forums, maybe.

Truth be told, in time it'd be nice to meet someone else who appreciates and shares a similar interest with Kobold watches but that might not happen where I live. I saw that people are from Ky, NC, and CA. Anyone from Georgia here?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Truth be told, in time it'd be nice to meet someone else who appreciates and shares a similar interest with Kobold watches but that might not happen where I live. I saw that people are from Ky, NC, and CA. Anyone from Georgia here?
Illinois for me and Blownaway and I think two others.:think:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
New York City for me and Craniotes and Snoballz.
But we schedule at least one GTG a year, so there's always a chance to meet folk about this thing of ours.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks Chronometer for taking an active role in this. I love finding out little bits of information that has already been posted by members such as cars they drive, geographic locations, etc. Although, I am a bit fearful of the addition of a facebook group as too much information can quickly make a community like this a scary place.....I'm not sure I want to know every time a Koboldian changes their relationship status to "it's complicated" or that their favorite singer of all time is Madonna ;-)
I kid. Sort of.
-Louis

·
Registered
10 Posts
Louis,

Glad here about your purchase. I went through similar debate with the various Phantoms for sale then a SMG-1 became available and as this design has always appealed to me as the most striking Kobold I could not resist. Alas I still wait, it is taking a long trip to get to me. Hopefully I'll be able to post about the arrival this week. Congrats again and post those pics,

Al

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Wonder if the three of us are it, not just NYC but all of New York since as of this morning there are only 4 in NY, CT, and RI according to Troy's poll.

-luke
b-)
Well Ed is in upstate NY.
And Liz is in Ct.
J

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.