WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Obtained a fine condition low serial number Gruen 50th that was perhaps one of many sold first time years later with a fine 14k white gold Gruen made case. White gold gruen 50th usually was 18k. It has fine original round dial not the sometimes pentagon form dial. I have 3 appropriate Gruen marked cases of right age: 18k white pentagon, 14k green pentagon, platinum and diamonds special form. Which, or none, best to use?

Attachments

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
They are all beautiful but the middle one (the yellow gold) is most extra beautiful! :) ... real art.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They are all beautiful but the middle one (the yellow gold) is most extra beautiful! :) ... real art.
It is actually Fred Gruen favorite 14k green gold. The dial was an expensive Euro. made one seen on a few of the best from there 1920-30.
Since existing 14k case number indicates made only a year or 2 later than 1924, and is probably original, I will not change the case.

Here the generally unknown 1953? 50th for Verithin model (1903-53) promotion that I believe may have confused Gruen history writers that report many unsold 1924 50ths unsold into 1950+. Never saw another. Anyone seen others?..... art b.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
After noticing the cheaper 50th Aniversary with plain 14k case had a case number indicatimg the case was not a much later age but only a year or 2 newer than 1924 gold movement I will not replace with a better older case. After finding the 1953? 50th shown here that was such a poor seller that I know of only 2, I believe reports of many unsold or years delayed sales of 50ths may be of the later cheaper model at least partially, and not entirely of the original 1924 50th. The original 1924 50th is known to be provided in a wide variety of customer and Gruen specified cases. art b.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My one Gruen p.w. that is, and may always be, a mystery to account for its resemblance to the 1924 50th. Its years earlier high grade movement is hand engraved with a pattern very similar to the 50th and gold plated. It came to me in a 1926 dated appropriate 18k case that has movement srew marks for a later Verithin movement that were slightly different than for the earlier Verithin. I still believe it was a sample done at Gruen for a new design that ended up being the 1924 50th. Possibly a special order, but not likely. Other alternative is someone at or not at Gruen hand made it in order to have or sell a fake 50th. Not very likely since the 50ths did not sell well and were available much discounted and its engaving style is very much like the final Gruen 50th. I will attempt to resolve its origin mystery with the help of master watchmaker renovator movement analyzer Dave Cooper with a complete takedown and parts examination like he did with my Fred Gruen signed positively real 50th. art b.

IMG_8335a.jpg a.jpg This one offered at little more than scrap value without much comment at Ashland. I have permission to use their photos in forums. They are very satisfactory primary source for many of my Gruens. Asking prices generally high but accomodate reasonable discount offers very well. artb.

·
Registered
494 Posts
A trip thru the cyanide bath would make that look like the day it was made !!! One of my all-time favorite watches .

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A trip thru the cyanide bath would make that look like the day it was made !!! One of my all-time favorite watches .
My favorite also. A mystery of origin and purpose as well as exotic appearance. A thorough cleaning might wipe the thin plating off? art b.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
My favorite also. A mystery of origin and purpose as well as exotic appearance. A thorough cleaning might wipe the thin plating off? art b.
I've heard that about ultrasonics, not about the usual watch cleaning chemicals. Don't know about cyanide, apart from not to drink it! :)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Dave Cooper looked carefully at the mystery Gruen without any encouraging comments. No reason to take apart other than appearance improvement. So remains a mystery and I remain almost convinced it is an appearance design sample. art b.
With Dave Cooper owned & serviced one. His photo: (Note the lower case screw mark in old movement 1926 case.)

DSC05235.JPG IMG_8335a.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts