WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Best early 1904-18 Gruen made gold cases in my experience for open face 17 ligne sized p.w. movements were semi-hunters. My questionable name. I have 4. Saw a 1905 Lange of similar arrangement. Front and back hinged with internally hinged cuvette. Not sure if similar old o.f. American cases were other than for key winders and setters. Not like the common swing out front movement arrangements. 3 gruens, and a dealer photo of 1905 Lange dial and case arrangement like the Gruens. European case style influence on Dietrich Gruen?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "semi hunter" here...they look like typical open-face type watches. Unless you're referring to the fact that the front is hinged? As you note, that's a hold-over from the key-set days (although I suppose it has some value for lever-set watches too), which can also be said of the use of an inner dustcover. But I don't thing that would really make the case any sort of hunter. There is a style that's known (to me anyway) as a "demi-hunter", which is a typical hunter with a small crystal in the hunter cover to allow viewing of the hands. This doesn't replace the inner crystal though (and typically, the outer cover will have some form of engraving in the metal to indicate the hours/minutes).

From my experience, the two key things that identify a case as a "Hunter" are 1) the additional protective cover over the front crystal and 2) the use of a spring on the front cover, in combination with some form of release (usually tied to the crown, but I'm hedging here since I can imagine there are some "hunter" cases that use a separate button to release the front cover).

I'm guessing that the classic "hunter" design is based on the logic of wanting to protect the fragile crystal while still making it possible to check the time with only one hand.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A hunter is full protection, no glass. Demi hunter has small central glass in lid. What is a short word for an o.f. with thick full width glass in a hinged lid? Key setter case? Lever set case? Blind man case? Antique style case may be best choice?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Not sure that you'd use a "short" word for it; if I was describing it, i'd call it it an Open Face case with a hinged bezel. I've heard the term "three hinged case" or "triple hinged" before though. I guess my only point was that using the term "hunter" to describe the case would almost certainly cause the listener to make several immediate assumptions about the case design that would be incorrect.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure that you'd use a "short" word for it; if I was describing it, i'd call it it an Open Face case with a hinged bezel. I've heard the term "three hinged case" or "triple hinged" before though.

Hinged bezel seems good to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts