WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

After quite a while of not acquiring much of real interest, I've acquired two pocket watches.

One is a duo-tone Illinois that I won't mention until I have because the seller's pictures were pretty bad.

The other? Well, you know that already: a Gruen VeriThin.

Seller's pics:

Now, I know that the dial is what the seller calls "usable", but I find this kind of patina and aging quite nice.

Close up of the dial with that lovely original Gruen Font:

But the real beauty is this: the Gruen Verithin movement. These movements were significantly thinner than the vast majority of pocket watch movements, but without giving up stability and performance:

The entire pocket watch, including case and crystal is only 11mm thick. A truly very thin movement!

Will have it in a few days, will post more pictures then...

:)

JohnF

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Looks like a very nice one John. Looking forward to the pics, also of the Illinois.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi -

Same here. :)

I've been looking at Hamiltons, but have decided to concentrate on pocket watches with the damascening, especially bi-tone damascening. The Illinois coming in has a checkerboard pattern, and I'll be specifically looking for some movements to possible make into a mariage watch for dress wear. Not that easy, to put it mildly, as there are some lovely movements out there, but not inexpensive.

JohnF

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi -

And here are the seller's pix of the Illinois...

Like I said, not too much to go on, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless...

JohnF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts