WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I did what I hoped for since more'n 6 months and bought a GS-1100, the "normal" black and steel one, first G-Shock I ever bought from a shop, here in Antwerp. Beautiful watch.
Even though it appeared to be working fine straight from the counter, I of course just had to fiddle around with the buttons and all...and that's where I ran into the problem of a ...nightmare instruction manual.
So far, I've only looked at the 4777 pdf manual downloaded from the Casio website, but I assume it's exactly the same as the thick little booklet in the box.

I find it very difficult to even identify what "mode" the watch is in! :-x Everything seems very confusing, :think: compared to the digital watches, for instance my 5-wave Gulfman.

For getting started: what would be a foolproof way of putting/forcing the watch in "timekeeping mode"? Once I am absolutely sure it is in "timekeeping mode", I should be able to obtain the 2 beeps (pushing button "A" for 5 seconds) needed to identify "setting mode", after which I can move on to setting the "home" location ("PAR").

I would be thankful for that golden tip on how to put the watch in "timekeeping mode"... and any other "instructions" and tips that may be available on this watch's setting procedures.:thanks

Paul

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Hi Paul,
I'm sure Kurt Behm (hope I spelled his surname right) would know how. He owns several of them now.
Best of luck,
Bruce

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
There are only 4 modes the watch can be in, timekeeping, alarm, world time and stopwatch three of witch have adjustment modes but those don't seem to be the issue here. I think that if left in the adjustment mode long enough the watch will return to the standard mode on its own.

If the top-right subdial is pointing to a day of the week it is in the timekeeping mode, simple enough. To cycle through timekeeping, world time and alarm you push the bottom left button. To enter/exit stopwatch mode you push the bottom right button.

Hope this answered your question(s). If not please post again. I'm pretty familiar with the watches operation.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I think you'll know when you're in "time-keeping mode" when you press (and not hold) the top left button and the 'seconds hand' (not used to count secs in this watch) moves to indicate whether the watch has synced or not. It will move to one of two spots at about 1:30 to 3:00 and either point to a little 'Y' or a little 'N'. If it it does either of those, you're in time keeping mode.

On similar modules, leaving the watch for any period without touching the buttons (except in stopwatch mode) will return the watch to time-keeping mode.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Surely as way of detecting that I didn't think of bluegum. To be more accurate the Y and N indicators are in place of 13 and 17 minute notches on the dial respectively.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Natornate, Bluegum, and the whirly turly second hand dial twisters of analog fame: THANK YOU.

It is "simple" (would the term "empirical" cover the concept?) tips like that that make reading time, or rather the sequence of procedures leading to that attempt, so much easier...

You gotta hand it to that 4777 instruction manual that it excels in neither brevity nor clarity, a statement not aided by poor eyesight, making the lot seem like so much ... perpetually going around in circles, which movement the watch doth appear to faithfully reproduce, whirling clockwise, counterclockwise, and then over again with yet another hand, dial, if not the resulting rolling om my poor eyes succeeded by cold sweat on the brow...

(sung to the tune of "they're coming to take me away, de-dum, de-dum..." :oops:)

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Glad to help. Only hope you figure out how to run the watch before losing your sanity :)

Happy holidays.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again, Nate. No, my sanity I already lost ages ago ;-) and by now it's a matter of keeping it within reasonable limits which, if this appears to be a contradiction in terms, in fact is merely a matter of context and definition.

The watch is fine. I'm wearing it right now, it syncs (at least) daily (as evidenced by the (chrono) second hand pointing to "y" when being called to do so, in timekeeping mode, the time is right to the second, same as my other "atomic" watch, the date (digit and day) is correct, I know how to use the chronometer (indeed, impossible to read the "minutes" subdial).

For now I won't bother with the "DST" setting feature, I'll see how the watch behaves when we switch to summer time...

BTW, I love the looks of this watch, very "classic".
And I can perfectly read the time without wearing (reading) glasses, which is important when arriving at the train station. It is the most "readable" G-Shock I own - but only for reading time, though, the other features are more difficult to register, like day of week and the already previously mentioned uselessness of the "minutes" subdial in chronometer mode.

Right now I seriously think I'm going to stop buying G-Shock watches. I am sticking to my two "atomic" timepieces and the red-jelly GL-200 tough solar (non-atomic) watch. The other ones are going, as I don't think it is good to keep changing batteries (even if only once every few years).

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts