WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I'm about to be buried under several tons of GS based love all im asking is this..
as I'm new to watch collecting what is so special about a grand seiko compared to just a seiko 5 at 20 times less money ?... all passers by see is the word seiko on the dial and assume cheap watch .. only really keen watch enthusiasts would spot it ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The movement, quality of finishing, and the history of the GS is what makes it special for watch enthusiasts. For me, I don't buy a watch to make others happy. I buy it to make me happy. And in my humble opinion, a wristwatch should be the only piece of jewelery for men.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Do you own research and make up your own mind about the Grand Seiko. It's NOT a typical Seiko at your local malls.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
If you were to see one in person I would hope you could appreciate the design and finishing. Most watch collectors are focused on more than just the name and logo on the dial.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
all passers by see is the word seiko on the dial and assume cheap watch ..
Most passers by think Invicta is haute horlogerie.
I don't buy watches to impress ignorant passers by.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'm jealous. I wish I hadn't been able to see the difference between the great Seikos and the ordinary ones.

;)

Mark

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I'm sure I'm about to be buried under several tons of GS based love all im asking is this..
as I'm new to watch collecting what is so special about a grand seiko compared to just a seiko 5 at 20 times less money ?... all passers by see is the word seiko on the dial and assume cheap watch .. only really keen watch enthusiasts would spot it ?
One day you will, grasshopper.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Watch collecting, as many users have commented, is about appreciating your own watches, not worrying about what others think. Why else would WIS be mostly obsessed with automatic movements, when quartz is cheaper and more accurate? If all we wanted to to was impress others, everyone would be rocking a $20 knockoff Rolex. Grand Seiko makes wonderful, innovative movements, has immaculate case finishing, and does some of the best dials in the business. It is commonly said that if Grand Seiko was a Swiss company, the prices would at least double.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have intentionally avoided ever handling one. I don't want to have to esplain myself to SWMBO. Wear what you like and like what toy wear.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
To the uninitiated I like to use motor vehicle analogies. Many more people seem to "get it" when talking about the difference between say a BMW 7 series and a Ford Fusion. They are both cars that can get you from point A to point B, but the means in doing so are vastly different....

·
Registered
927 Posts
This thread is hilarious.

I think the members above have rehashed all the pertinent points as well as can be said already.

I'll just say that my nearly 50 year old GS is one of the finest pieces in my collection, in terms of finishing as well as accuracy.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
As you are new to watch collecting, you probably won't appreciate them even if you handle one. As you gain experience with watches over time, you may begin to recognize the qualities that make some better than others. If not, no problem, you'll save money.
Couldn't have said it better myself

The Naf

Reactions: wschofield3
1 - 20 of 388 Posts