WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, long time stalker first time poster so please bare with me.

I am new to the watch world but have been infatuated ever since I have fell into it!

I currently own: G-Shock Casioak I use as a beater, Junghans Max bill handwind which is my smart casual/dress watch, Longines HC with grey dial and ceramic bezel which is my everyday sporty watch I guess.

Recently I have been eyeing up my first ‘high end’ watch. I appreciate high end is relative and to some these two suggestions wont be high end at all but for me at 19 they will be a considerable amount.

To be honest I am not sure what exactly I am looking for but I know I find myself in a more sporty/casual attire more often than a suit at work and my day to day life.

I find myself attracted to the GS SBGN003 which I can get for around £2200 after a quick look. I have heard a lot of good things about this but not sure wether a quartz would be a good addition. Yes I know the 9F definitely isn’t an ordinary quartz with it’s accuracy and precision with hitting indices not to mention 50 year service interval.

The other piece which has caught my eye is a Cartier Santos 100 which I could grab for around a grand more than the GS. This watch I think would be a huge step up from my current dress watch and I feel it could also be used casually with it’s slightly sporty aesthetics. Also with it having a mechanical movement and arguable a more recognisable brand would this be a better addition to my collection?

I appreciate these are quite different watches and the decision is mine and to go with what I feel (which I will be doing at the end of the day) but it would be good to hear some peoples thoughts/experiences with these two watches. Should I stretch for the extra money for Santos or grab the GS?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Best advice I can give you is whichever you decide to get, ensure you don’t compromise. Never settle for less. You’ll always keep lusting after the one that appeals to you the most. Be true to yourself and follow your heart, cause buyers remorse is a *****. Welcome to the forum and good luck on your journey.

·
Registered
234 Posts
So those two watches are as different from one another as different can be.

You are asking this question in the GS forum, so I would expect most if not all replies will be a vote for the GS.

I have the SBGN003 and love it, so my vote is the GS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best advice I can give you is whichever you decide to get, ensure you don’t compromise. Never settle for less. You’ll always keep lusting after the one that appeals to you the most. Be true to yourself and follow your heart, cause buyers remorse is a *. Welcome to the forum and good luck on your journey.
Thanks. I think I will probably will end up with both at one stage or another, so will wait a few months for things to open up and try each on to see.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So those two watches are as different from one another as different can be.

You are asking this question in the GS forum, so I would expect most if not all replies will be a vote for the GS.

I have the SBGN003 and love it, so my vote is the GS.
Aware they are different which I think makes the decision harder! In an ideal world I would love both but would take a little more saving for now...

I uploaded to the Cartier forum also to see what the response there would be because as you said aware this is a GS forum!

·
Premium Member
63,832 Posts
T1 is right. NEVER settle. They are both beautiful watches but after some thought I think I’d go GS.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would personally go with the Cartier.
If you are new to luxury watches, i would suggest to start with a respective swiss brand which has character and the swiss made recognition/experience.

9F is something i woule add in your collection after having experience with an luxury automatic. Finishing and quality is one thing, but then you have appeal, charm, and this is something where 9F currently lacks due to the fact they are all just dauphine three handers with a date.

P.s. not all 9F's tick markers exactly, and the 50 years interval is nowhere described by GS. In these 50 years you would need to have gaskets changed for sure to keep the water resistance.
Battery change by GS every 2-3 years is around 100USD, which is basically the same cost as service for an automatic after 6-7 years. And the appeal of a beautiful 9F movement that you might never even see yourself..well..thats up to debate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery change by GS every 2-3 years is around 100USD, which is basically the same cost as service for an automatic after 6-7 years.
Thanks for your points.

One question, I was under the impression any watchmaker could change the battery for the 9F due to the movement being encased so the battery is accessible by anyone without having to actually open up the movement. Is this not true then?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ohhhh.... hard choice.
Both lovely watches but if it was me, with the watches that you already own, I would go for the Santos. Seems like you've already got a couple of tool watches and the Santos is a beautiful dressy watch but can be worn with anything.
Good luck with your decision, you can't go wrong with either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for your points.

One question, I was under the impression any watchmaker could change the battery for the 9F due to the movement being encased so the battery is accessible by anyone without having to actually open up the movement. Is this not true then?
They can. The question is, would you let your average quartz watchmaker replace the battery and gaskets on a 2500USD+ watch, scratch and hassle free? Would they test the water resistance too?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
No wrong choice. Get what most appeals to you and enjoy it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to throw in a third watch and again a very different one to the previous two mentioned! It's the Nomos Club 36.

Pros:
+ A good hybrid between the GS and Cartier in it can be dressed up or down by different straps etc. Sure maybe not dressed up to the level of the Cartier but still not bad.

+ Quite a bit cheaper which is also a good thing! Also helps as I am still new to the watch world if I decide to flip, any money lost will be much less. I will make sure I am not settling as previously mentioned and I actually want the watch of course!

+ A basic but 'in-house' mechanical movement I believe.

Would be good to hear your thoughts and any cons of this? Appreciate everyone's opinions and experiences with Nomos etc.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Between those specific two watches, I'd pick the GS. I think the most recent generation of Santos, while more money, is just so much nicer than the Santos 100. I have handled an SBGN005 and thought it was a very fine watch.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I would go with the Santos. Nothing really wrong with the SBGN003 but the Santos has the history behind it (originally developed to aid a pilot) and wears well on the wrist. it has looked good since day one and 30 years from now will still look good and timeless

The Nomos is nice but i would never pay even close to retail on that watch. It is a nice watch but not a luxury watch by any means. You will lose more money selling the Nomos then the Santos. As for the GS, that is a watch to buy and keep as you will have to pay somebody money to take it off your hands (I know most watches have poor resale value but a lot of GS models are as worthless on the 2nd hand market as snow boots in Los Angeles)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi, long time stalker first time poster so please bare with me.

I am new to the watch world but have been infatuated ever since I have fell into it!

I currently own: G-Shock Casioak I use as a beater, Junghans Max bill handwind which is my smart casual/dress watch, Longines HC with grey dial and ceramic bezel which is my everyday sporty watch I guess.

Recently I have been eyeing up my first ‘high end’ watch. I appreciate high end is relative and to some these two suggestions wont be high end at all but for me at 19 they will be a considerable amount.

To be honest I am not sure what exactly I am looking for but I know I find myself in a more sporty/casual attire more often than a suit at work and my day to day life.

I find myself attracted to the GS SBGN003 which I can get for around £2200 after a quick look. I have heard a lot of good things about this but not sure wether a quartz would be a good addition. Yes I know the 9F definitely isn’t an ordinary quartz with it’s accuracy and precision with hitting indices not to mention 50 year service interval.

The other piece which has caught my eye is a Cartier Santos 100 which I could grab for around a grand more than the GS. This watch I think would be a huge step up from my current dress watch and I feel it could also be used casually with it’s slightly sporty aesthetics. Also with it having a mechanical movement and arguable a more recognisable brand would this be a better addition to my collection?

I appreciate these are quite different watches and the decision is mine and to go with what I feel (which I will be doing at the end of the day) but it would be good to hear some peoples thoughts/experiences with these two watches. Should I stretch for the extra money for Santos or grab the GS?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!
View attachment 15331687
View attachment 15331688
I don't think you can go wrong with either watch (GS or Santos), as both are truly beautiful pieces.

However, let me say that at the age of 19, you're really showing an impressive level of good taste and individuality with these two candidates! The Santos in particular would be an ultra sharp choice for a young man such as yourself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts