WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the deals thread this model was recently referred to as a turd....

What's the story on this model and why is it not appealing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
9,175 Posts

Thanks!
You can look up the thread discussing it pretty much in all details when model was announced and discussion was lively.

Now despite few people who actually bought this one there is not much movement apart from crickets serenading.

To summarize why it's bad:

Size is very questionable and it so far biggest smartwatch out there. It's not bad per se but limiting factor.
Now of important part. GSW is technically 2016 platform. Casio using it 3d time in a row with previous models been out around 2019. There will be no WearOS updates for this one. it's slow and has very limited amount of storage. So not much of music, not much of offline maps either. WearOS 2 is not the best platform to begin with. Frankly it's the worst platform for fitness, sports, adventure etc. Lack of native tools, miserable battery life there are enough of no go on Google. Apple at least offers very good app system, interface and native platform integration.

Cherry on the top is price.

So far any other competition is better in one form or other: faster, newer and cheaper or all of above and the only thing going on for it yep it's a G-Shock. If you count Garmin which priced similarly you get far better functionality and battery life longer by factor of X7.

It safe to say if Casio would of opted for new platform with option to upgrade for WearOS3 it would of been different story. Also to put so much effort into G-Shock smartwatch and literally waste it on old platform which is 3 generations old as now... is a sad sight.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can look a thread discussing it pretty much in all details when model was announced and discussion was lively.

Now despite few people who actually bought this one there is not much movement apart from crickets serenading.

To summarize why it's bad:

Size is very questionable and it so far biggest smartwatch out there. It's not bad per se but limiting factor.
Now of important part. GSW is technically 2016 platform. Casio using it 3d time in a row with previous models been out around 2019. There will be no WearOS updates for this one. it's slow and has very limited amount of storage. So not much of music, not much of offline maps either. WearOS 2 is not the best platform to begin with. Frankly it's the worst platform for fitness, sports, adventure etc. Lack of native tools, miserable battery life there are enough of no go on Google. Apple at least offers very good app system, interface and native platform integration.

Cherry on the top is price.

So far any other competition is better in one form or other: faster, newer and cheaper or all of above and the only thing going on for it yep it's a G-Shock. If you count Garmin which priced similarly you get far better functionality and battery life longer by factor of X7.

It safe to say if Casio would of opted for new platform with option to upgrade for WearOS3 it would of been different story. Also to put so much effort to G-Shock smartwatch and literally waste it on old platform which is 3 generations old as now... is a sad sight.
I have the GSW and have to agree with you in almost all of your points. If serious about sports Garmin is the one, and with tons of options, not to mention their App is very well integrated with lots of info. Tried using Strava to combine my Garmin and G-Shock Move apps in one, but too complicated, plus Strava charges for some content that Garmin already shows in their App for free. So, because I loved the design, looks awsome, I bought it, and I use it as a fun smart watch now and then, use the steps functionality, and that's that. I guess Casio should've had droped the Wear OS and use only their propietary Move app, as it is better integrated, works good and is the one that I use the most. So far Casio is constantly doing updates to both the watch and App, but not sure for how long. On the mean time, I enjoy the watch, is very cool, has high end materials, and it is a G-Shock.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
9,175 Posts
I have the GSW and have to agree with you in almost all of your points. If serious about sports Garmin is the one, and with tons of options, not to mention their App is very well integrated with lots of info. Tried using Strava to combine my Garmin and G-Shock Move apps in one, but too complicated, plus Strava charges for some content that Garmin already shows in their App for free. So, because I loved the design, looks awsome, I bought it, and I use it as a fun smart watch now and then, use the steps functionality, and that's that. I guess Casio should've had droped the Wear OS and use only their propietary Move app, as it is better integrated, works good and is the one that I use the most. So far Casio is constantly doing updates to both the watch and App, but not sure for how long. On the mean time, I enjoy the watch, is very cool, has high end materials, and it is a G-Shock.
Glad to hear back from actual owner!

That what it technically is - smartwatch for G-shock aficionados.
In this role for sure there are plenty of things to wish for and they to some degree doable but ...
Anyway. I have Samsung and when i bought it i was looking at WSD21 which is technically GSW sans G-Shock.
They all have their ups and downs and there is no golden bullet for everything (that impossible after all). I took very close look at WSD at the time (30/21).

I do think it's impressive to make smartwatch so shock proof. Though it not that needed it's still cool.
I never could come around Casio use of outdated internals at given price point. That where coemption comes into picture.

For real, serious running and training, i used to prepare for marathon, Garmin sure beats many offerings. Apart from something like Coros, Polar and Sunnto but Garmin is juggernaut and has support to match.
For everyday GADA smartwatch there are other options too. Which for sure not a Casio G in looks and feel but that what makes them GADA and they very good at been general smartwatch.

I do think smartwatches are cool. Yet not really buzz generating material. They tool watches to the bone.

Despite all opposition on WUS i found notifications very useful.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

Radicalist hyperbole garbage opinion trolling. How’s that for an explanation? :)

If you get past the loathsome individuals on this forum who, if not for the internet, wouldn’t have an avenue to voice their asinine opinions at all, then you would find a more objective analysis of the GSW-H1000.

The basic concept to apply here is to take the objective specs of the GSW-H1000 and compare them to the specs of other smartwatches.

Now, balance those specs with some features not commonly found on smartwatches - a dual layer lcd, the styling itself, the presence of a microphone on a 200m WR watch, its resistance to abuse (aka “shock resistance”), etc.

Balance that against the price, which determines the opportunity cost of purchasing this watch vs another smartwatch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts