WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Yes - in New York doing a little watch shopping. Tried on a few sweeeeeet Breguets: my potential next modern purchase, the 5197BB, a very cool 5920, and an extraordinary perpetual calendar. They didn't allow pictures, and neither did the Omega boutique is right next door. The new Aqua Terra fits pretty well though.

The first picture is Windy & I; the second is a friend & I at Faber's - a really great place with a mix of vintage & modern pre-owned watches. Saw a few on my list that were nice, but nothing made me jump to grab it. Oh well, maybe next time. If you're in NY, you definitely should stop there and meet the very courteous staff. :-!

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
:-s Kenjo? We must have passed it because we were in the area, but didn't stop in. Did I miss a good shop?
Yes and no. They have some brands that no one else wants to carry, but the sales staff is extremely uneven - not particularly well informed, but at its best, tolerant and interested, and its worst, a hair too slick - slick like a used-car salesman is slick - for my tastes.

For vintage, though, NY turns out not to be a great town. Odd, because you can find everything else.....

did you stop in at Central Watch in the Grand Central tunnels, or go down and see the very nice fellow whose last name escapes me in the Bowery? They've both sometimes got interesting pieces. Did you visit the bizarre, horrid Plaza Jewelers?

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you stop in at Central Watch in the Grand Central tunnels, or go down and see the very nice fellow whose last name escapes me in the Bowery? They've both sometimes got interesting pieces. Did you visit the bizarre, horrid Plaza Jewelers?
No, just a few spots on 5th plus Faber's. We were very interested in eating at Carnegie's Deli, and it was too cold to keep walking around after sunset.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You missed the Tourneau Time Machine? Some were talking it up on another thread saying it was the largest watch store in the world. Three stories of nothing but watches. Certainly something I will have to check out next time in NYC. I probably wouldn't make it beyond the first floor without drowning on my own drool.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/russian-watches-new-york-city-478396.html

Then again, maybe not.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...neau_Time_Machine-New_York_City_New_York.html

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7156997/new_york_ny/tourneau_inc.html

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
You missed the Tourneau Time Machine? Some were talking it up on another thread saying it was the largest watch store in the world. Three stories of nothing but watches. Certainly something I will have to check out next time in NYC. I probably wouldn't make it beyond the first floor without drowning on my own drool.

:-x:-x:-xMust...resist....provocation....Must...refrain....from....Tourneau...commentary:-x:-x:-x

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
So come on over. There's a big GTG in early May every year.
Man, last time I was in New York, the company put me up right down from the office, at the Omni, which, of course, neighbors one of the smaller Tourneaus. I almost bought a Hamilton Ventura XXL (black) because I woke up early. And an Oris Pro Diver chrono because, what the ...., right?

·
Registered
41,221 Posts
Second largest, Tourneau Time Dome in Vegas is 2K sq. ft. larger.

Then again, maybe not.

Tourneau Time Machine - New York City - Reviews of Tourneau Time Machine - TripAdvisor

Tourneau Inc - New York, NY, 10022 - Citysearch

·
Registered
41,221 Posts
Was there in April, they had three cases of NOS Villemont, Pacardt and Eberhard. Steve Grazi is the guy to talk to there. Couldn't stay long, wife was pulling on me to make the airport shuttle.
:-s Kenjo? We must have passed it because we were in the area, but didn't stop in. Did I miss a good shop?

He gives discounts for repeat customers. The guy I was with is a regular and they extended his to me. Saw a great Piaget caliber 12P and a cool VC too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
ulackfocus: were you treated well in the Breguet store? I'm sure before you even opened your mouth they could tell you were serious about watches but I've found the haute horologerie stores to be very uninviting. (Maybe I look like a thug?)

Second largest, Tourneau Time Dome in Vegas is 2K sq. ft. larger.
It's a very nice, overwhelming store (See: Catatonia.) Though my customer experience has been in league with other comments about the larger Tourneau stores. Customer service is important to me, which is why I asked the question above.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ulackfocus: were you treated well in the Breguet store? I'm sure before you even opened your mouth they could tell you were serious about watches but I've found the haute horologerie stores to be very uninviting.
We were treated like royalty. They offered us a drink, there were high-end chocolates on the table, and the salesperson not only catered to our every whim he also went in the back to bring out a discontinued version of a perpetual calendar with an awesome hand-engraved movement. While my friend & I tried on watches, a saleswoman chatted with Windy so she wasn't bored either. I might have tipped my hand as soon as we walked in. The 5197 was in the first display and I called Windy over and said "There's the 5197!". Ooops.

I'm gonna spill the beans - I'm really considering a large sell-off of one vintage brand in my collection to buy a Breguet. The 5920 was very nice and easily within my reach if I sold just 3 or 4 pieces that I rarely wear anymore. Sadly, the 5197 automatic (as perfect as it was) was double the price and would be too much of a sacrifice at this time.

....maybe. ;-)

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's very nice to hear! Thanks for your quick response. I have lurked this forum for over a year now, (I know, creepy,) and I am familiar with your expertise and passion. Unfortunately salespeople can't see the aura of passion surrounding me, rather my deer-in-the-headlights expression and "Can I really touch them?" budget.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
That's funny, the 5197 would be my pick for a Breguet if ever it became practical. It's got this perfect yin-yang between classic and modern, sobriety and whimsy, and it pulls it off with pure elegance. I gotta go look at that Breguet store.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DUH! Pictures would help. I can't believe I'm talking about specific watches in a thread I created and I haven't posted pics of them. :roll::rodekaart

Here's the 5920. Everything is perfect except the date window - which I can live with.

Here's the 5197. Everything is perfect except the price - which would be tough to swallow for what I'd have to give up. (this is yg, but it would be wg) The silicon escapement is really interesting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts