WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guinand 40-50-02 - Lots & lots of pix...

Hi -

This is a quick and dirty set of photos from my recent Guinand acquisition. Guinand, as you may know, is the watch line that Helmut Sinn, of Sinn fame, set up with his company Jubilar Uhren after he acquired the remaining shares of Guinand in Switzerland, which has been around since 1865.

So, to make a long story short, I bought one of his watches and this is what I brought home:

So what is inside? Just this...

And here is the first real view...

There's no denying its German heritage and the relationship to Sinn: there's a lot of the classic Aviator chronograph there...

And let's look at some of the details...

And here's the face...

But what really, really drew me to this watch was this:

That's right, it's a rosé gold plated 7750 TOP. Time keeping has been outstanding: right now it's +11s after 4 days, i.e. under +3s/day. :)

More views of the movement...

But let's get back to the dial...

But I keep coming back to the movement... :)

So, how does it wear: it's a tad high, higher than I am used to, but it's pretty normal for a 7750-based watch...

And it is darn comfortable to wear...

So, enough for now. :)

I'm extremely pleased. Will try and get some lume shots over the next several days, but the lume is subdued, albeit more than adequate (I'm a tad spoiled by my Seikos and Bill Yaos...).

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Re: Guinand 40-50-02 - Lots & lots of pix...

Fabulos watch (and pics!)!!!
Compared to a Sinn, what do you say?
Enjoy it plenty! Janne

·
Registered
114 Posts
There's no denying its German heritage and the relationship to Sinn: there's a lot of the classic Aviator chronograph there...
Nice looking watch! :-!

I agree with you, it has lots in common with my Sinn 103.

I too would be interested in how you would rate this piece compared with a Sinn.

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hi -

Price-performance: Guinand. :)

Design and history: Sinn.

JohnF

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi -

None of the Sinns has the gold-plated movement, which is fairly unique amongst 7750s in general. Guinand in Switzerland provides top-notch 7750s to a number of the higher-end manufacturers with this post-processing of the movement. With the Sinn you get the rhodium-plated movements, TOP as well.

In terms of the rest of the finishing: we'll have to wait for the next Rhein-Main get-together to compare the Sinn 103 with this one. :)

In terms of price/performance, the Guinand is hard to beat: they sell their elaboreé movements, which lack the perlage and other niceties, for all of &*8364;660. That is one hard price to beat, especially for the bicompax watches they offer. They are also committed to keeping prices down by not advertising, and that's nice for us consumers... :)

JohnF

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi -

Same here: I've been contemplating this for more than a year now...was finally time to put up or shut up...

JohnF

·
Registered
74 Posts

Wow, it looks gorgeous! Congratulations! :-!

I've been looking at their 20 and 40 series for a while but never pulled the trigger, your pictures may change this! On their web site, the movements are not gold plated; did you make a special order?

And may I ask what is your wrist size? Mine is rather small so I was more interested on their 20 series due to their smaller width but also for their uncut numerals, however I want the non polished case!... The dilemma! :-d

:thanks

·
Registered
2,909 Posts

Congrats on a great looking Guinand. I really like the look of the rose gold movement and look of the watch. It looks very readable and clean.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Hello John, hope all is well with you and yours.

Absolutely fascinating post John. A beautiful watch and great photos.

I have never seen a 7750 movement that looked that sophisticated and elegant before. I am seriously impressed, and like you, my attention keeps returning to the movement.

Like Shawn, I too prefer these hands to the Sinn hands.

The Sinn heritage is quite clear here and still, it's quite fresh and invigorating in a sea of 7750 chronos.

Congratulations on your purchase and I'm sure your ownership experience will be very rewarding.

All the best,
Tim

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hi -

Seven inch wrist, give or take.

No special order. That is the way they come. Web site needs some serious updating...

JohnF

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi -

Tim, good to see ya. :)

The movement is and was the real surprise. I've googled and there were basically no meaningful hits on "7750 gilt movement".

The mixture of perlage on the base and geneva stripes on the bridges and weight is very nice. The level of finish is simply marvelous in comparison to a standard 7750, which lacks not only the chemically blued screws (note the silver in the slots, reflecting the addition of the slot after the blueing), but also any sort of finishing.

JohnF

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes, it does look gorgeous. What is the bezel made of, please?

I will also be waiting for a comparison with the equivalent Sinn ... what would that be, a 103?

john

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi -

Anodized aluminum. The equivalent would be a 103, but with the display back and sapphire crystal, rather than the solid back and acrylic crystal.

JohnF

PS: Send me a 103 and I'll be happy to compare... :)

G

·
Hi John, the 103 and the Guinand got tested together with the Archimede Pilot Chrono, read "CHRONOS", issue june/july.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Lovely watch John, and pics to match.
That movement is a joy to look at.
One question, why do they still use tritium for the lume?
Isn't that a bit old fashioned? and doesn't it age a lot quicker?

Enjoy,

Daddel.

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi -

Read that one before I bought. :) But I think I'll have to get together with Micha and do up a proper comparison...

JohnF

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi -

Don't know why they do. The lume is hence a tad understated (if you are used, like I am, to Seiko lume), but it does the job very nicely...

JohnF

1 - 20 of 46 Posts