WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo all!

I played around with my Gulfman and decided to exchange the inner bezel ring of my atomic Gulfman (titanium lookalike) and blue standard gulfman (black plastics).
I removed the resing bezel and swapped the inner ring of the 2 (its glued on using sticky tape).
See the photos for results.
For me the blue Gulfman is really a beauty now. :)
The "titanium" ring is matching to the silver coating on the dial.
I´m wondering if it was planned this way by the designer but later switched to black bezel ring as a cost cutting action. :think:

The atomic Gulfman becomes a more stealthed one.
Not that appealing for me then the blue one.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Certainly an interesting idea and not a bad result, however I do prefer the atomic Gulfman with the titanium.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah d2mac - both watches impoved their looks big time. Good action and nice pics!
Jurphaas :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Looks great I like the look of both of them, but the blue and silver looks the best out of the two :-!:-!:-!

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
The "titanium" ring is matching to the silver coating on the dial.
I´m wondering if it was planned this way by the designer but later switched to black bezel ring as a cost cutting action. :think:
Ah, you can now put me out of my misery, having taken apart an atomic Gulfman. Is the ring from the atomic one soft plastic like on the G-9100, or is it indeed metal? If it's metal, it should actually be titanium, as 'all exposed metal parts' are IIRC.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There a 2 parts:
The ring is made from metal (no clue if its titanium)
The metal looking part visible left and right of the "G" on the bezel is coated plastic, but not soft.
In the standard Gulfman the ring is all hard plastic, again with an extra part in the "G" position.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Cool Idea! Kudos for doing it!

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
There a 2 parts:
The ring is made from metal (no clue if its titanium)
The metal looking part visible left and right of the "G" on the bezel is coated plastic, but not soft.
In the standard Gulfman the ring is all hard plastic, again with an extra part in the "G" position.
d2mac is correct. The inner bezel is metal(I can't imagine any reason for it not being titanium - titanium isn't expensive), but the material visible through the two small windows at the bottom is plastic.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
d2mac is correct. The inner bezel is metal(I can't imagine any reason for it not being titanium - titanium isn't expensive), but the material visible through the two small windows at the bottom is plastic.
As far as i know, titanium is much harder then stainless steel.
And its almost impossible to stamp parts to a complictated shape in titanuim.
So you will have to mill parts to shape, which means some extra cost for machines and material.

I Casio would choose stainless steel, they could stamp the part.
Since the atomic Gulfman isnt that expensive, i guessed it may be some galvanized stainless steel. :think:

If its a full titanium part- i´m impressed! :-!

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
I think it would depend on the grade of titanium and grade of stainless steel.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Thanks d2mac. As it's an exposed metal part, I'm willing to bet it will be titanium. I seem to remember Casio state that all exposed metal parts on this model are.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The atomic looks awesome with the black ring, it's like a black spots Gulfman. Subtle mods like this are cool, I had no idea the ring would fir both watches, I always thought the bezels were different for some reason.:-!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
The atomic looks awesome with the black ring, it's like a black spots Gulfman. Subtle mods like this are cool, I had no idea the ring would fir both watches, I always thought the bezels were different for some reason.:-!

Thanks for sharing d2mac, i like the changes. i am waiting for the icerc gulfman to come out. soon i hope.:-!

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
So you will have to mill parts to shape, which means some extra cost for machines and material.
That may explain why the two lower bits of trim are plastic.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

I Casio would choose stainless steel, they could stamp the part.
Since the atomic Gulfman isnt that expensive, i guessed it may be some galvanized stainless steel. :think:

If its a full titanium part- i´m impressed! :-!

IMHO,the ring is titanium alright.:-! For the GW-9100, the titanium is polished whereas the G-9100 is "powder coated". If the G-9100 ring is made of plastic, then the whole watch would be much lighter, since titanium density is about 4.5g/cm3 whereas fibre reinforced plastic averaged 1.8-2.0 g/cm3. I belive the weight difference between the 2 models is about 2g at most. This is most likely due to the components in the module.

It is possible to make titanium in a cheaper way by using metal injection moulding (Casio uses this method in the manufacture of titanium bracelets for the MR-G) instead of fully milling it. Metal injection moulding is almost similar to plastic injection moulding.

Stainless steel does not need to be galvanised as the chromium oxide provides the necessary protection against corrosion, hence the term "stainless".

Cheers,
MountainMike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts