WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Gulfman or Mudman or Other?

Gulfman or Mudman? Which one?

Tags
g9000 g9100
8K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  Austin1983 
#1 · (Edited)
To start, I love the Frogman, but $240 is way TOOOOO much money for me to spend.

I like the 25th anniversary ones the best, but they are too hard to find and also too expenseive.

I can get either the Gulfman or Mudman for $61-62.

I also like the atomic versions, but then you lose the day of the week display due to the 5 band circles.

I own a GW-300 right now which is OK I guess.

So what do you guys think?

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I voted Gulfman, because I think it looks nicer, and the buttons are big and easy to push, unlike the Mudman's rather stiff buttons. I'm not being a traitor to the Mudman which is one of my favourites, but if looks and ease of use are a priority, a Gulfman might be the best choice. On the other hand if it's going to be dragged through mud and/or the dual stopwatch is useful, the Mudman would be the better choice. It's not a bad choice to have to make though, as I don't think you can 'lose' whichever you choose. :-!

#9 ·
I voted Gulfman, because I think it looks nicer, and the buttons are big and easy to push, unlike the Mudman's rather stiff buttons. I'm not being a traitor to the Mudman which is one of my favourites, but if looks and ease of use are a priority, a Gulfman might be the best choice. On the other hand if it's going to be dragged through mud and/or the dual stopwatch is useful, the Mudman would be the better choice. It's not a bad choice to have to make though, as I don't think you can 'lose' whichever you choose. :-!
If you get the mudy. check out the biege one. i like it best but for some reason its hard to find. also orange el is cool. b-) b-)

#10 ·
I voted Gulfman, I prefer the looks. However, I think I prefer the looks of the GW9100 (atomic) even more. Then, I have neither, so maybe I should have voted other....

#11 ·
choosing between the gulfman and mudman is like choosing between mcdonalds and burger king, KFC and Popeyes, Taco and burrito, bulgogi and steak, soup and salad, chicken fried rice and beef fried tice, chicken nugget and eggroll.

but of course, if u buy the Mud, u can join out exclusive Mudman tribe. i got the 3v which is the Ninja Turtle version or the Hulk version.

#13 ·
Do what I did I bought both with the added bonus of becoming an eligible member of the Mudman Tribe. :-d:-d:-d But seriously if the tide and moon phase thing isn't important to you then the Mudman has far better features.

Cheers :-!:-!:-! Besides if you don't by a Mudman you might get attacked by the Mansrow bunny.

#21 ·
You guys aren't helping. The vote seems split.

For those who vote other, which one?

Any opinions on the atomic mudman? 25th Anniversary Mudman?

I still think the Gulfman is better looking, but I have not seen it in person; whereas I have tried on a Mudman already.

For those choosing Mudman-what makes it so special?

#22 ·
You guys aren't helping. The vote seems split.
For those who vote other, which one?

Any opinions on the atomic mudman? 25th Anniversary Mudman?

I still think the Gulfman is better looking, but I have not seen it in person; whereas I have tried on a Mudman already.

For those choosing Mudman-what makes it so special?
Oh great!!! :rodekaart

Now you have opened up several more cans of worms. Good luck with this one.

My suggestions is that if you like the looks of the Gulfman more, then get it. It will likely do everything you want, until you pick your next, and our next, and your next...

#30 ·
I think a lot of the presented opinions between the two watches are written by those who have either one or the other, making the poll a bit biased towards people defending the model they purchased. I get defensive when someone will give a negative review of a watch I own, and that's the nature of G-Shocks they make you want to defend their honor at all costs, I know it's ridiculous.

In all honesty they're equally good watches with tons of useless features for the common person like 5 alarms, tide and moon graphs, and 2 stopwatches that run at the same time. I think the most important thing is you like how it looks and it tells you the time, if your worried you can't figure out how to set the time without the use of another clock get the atomic version.

#31 ·
In all honesty they're equally good watches with tons of useless features for the common person like 5 alarms, tide and moon graphs, and 2 stopwatches that run at the same time.
Probably very true :-d I chose the Gulfman though because of the tide feature. Everyone in the U.K lives within a few miles of the coast and I live just a few yards, I'm very aware of the tides and always have a tide table handy but I know I'll find this feature useful, not as an accurate scientific instrument but when I need a quick easy check to know whether the tide's making or on the ebb and I'm sure I'll find that useful.

The mudman? Very nice, but I don't do mud, it's all sand round here ...... :-d

#32 · (Edited)
I own both the Atomic Solar Mudman and the Atomic Solar Gulfman.

MUDMAN: This watch is the most comfortable watch I own. It comes stealthed right out of the box. It is packed with features and looks awesome on your wrist. The day and date will not show up at the same time, but rarely am I confused as to what day it is. If I am all I have to do is push a button and the day appears. The 5 circles at the top don't bother me at all; I think they actually look cool. If I had to choose only one G-Shock that I could own, it would be this one. Even above my Frogman.

GULFMAN: Is built like a tank and is thicker than the mudman (will sit higher on your wrist). Most people who own this watch believe it is an extremely sharp looking watch. For some reason I am not fond of it's appearence. The digits seem larger and look like they are in a bold font, which bothers me. I also notice smudges on the crystal due to its reflectivity. Of all my G-Shocks, this is the only one that does not sit comfortably on my wrist. Whereas all other resin bands seem to conform perfectly to my wrist, this one is awkward and I notice it doesn't feel right. I will most likely be putting this one up for sale. This is merely my experience with the Atomic Solar Gulfman, but others swear by it. I am probably the minority in giving this watch an unfavorable review.

Good luck in your choice, it is always difficult to do without being able to see it on your wrist before you purchase it.

#33 ·
I own both the Atomic Solar Mudman and the Atomic Solar Gulfman.

MUDMAN: This watch is the most comfortable watch I own. It comes stealthed right out of the box. It is packed with features and looks awesome on your wrist. The day and date will not show up at the same time, but rarely am I confused as to what day it is. If I am all I have to do is push a button and the day appears. The 5 circles at the top don't bother me at all; I think they actually look cool. If I had to choose only one G-Shock that I could own, it would be this one. Even above my Frogman.

GULFMAN: Is built like a tank and is thicker than the mudman (will sit higher on your wrist). Most people who own this watch believe it is an extremely sharp looking watch. For some reason I am not fond of it's appearence. The digits seem larger and look like they are in a bold font, which bothers me. I also notice smudges on the crystal due to its reflectivity. Of all my G-Shocks, this is the only one that does not sit comfortably on my wrist. Whereas all other resin bands seem to conform perfectly to my wrist, this one is awkward and I notice it doesn't feel right. I will most likely be putting this one up for sale. This is merely my experience with the Atomic Solar Mudman, but others swear by it. I am probably the minority in giving this watch an unfavorable review.

Good luck in your choice, it is always difficult to do without being able to see it on your wrist before you purchase it.
This is the best response that I have had so far. The funny thing is that this post comes within hours of me choosing to buy the Atomic Mudman. Ironic isn't it? Just a few more days and I can join the tribe!

#37 ·
I like it a lot. Too much to wear it to work everyday and risk scuffing it up. I may have to buy one to beat up. I just started a job as an video (flat screen)/audio tech and I'm sure my watch would be scuffed up in no time. The numbers are a little smaller than the GW-300 and you have to push a button for the day of the week-the other problem with that is if you want to check time in another country, how do you know what day it is there?

#47 ·
Gulfman is good but it looks too small and it hasn't got the robust look of Mudman.
I've never thought the Gulfman looks small. It's very close in size to the Mudman. It's also quite chunky looking, but the stock photos don't do it justice.

#49 ·
I had a choice between a Mudman and a Gulfman a couple of days ago, and I ended up choosing the Gulfman. I was a little turned off by the red buttons on the Mudman, and I just liked the appearance of the Gulfman. I need the tide part of it like I need a hole in my head though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.