WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The second hand of my gulfmaster is not moving even if i press the buttons

Its stopped moving at 9 o clock.

When i pull out the crown it will move again but its not sync with the second hand

I calibrated the second hand it will back to normal but it will get stuck again..

Please advise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Did you check the charge level? Maybe it's low... and going into power save mode.

·
Registered
694 Posts
My seconds hand stopped moving on mine about 3-4 weeks ago. It stopped exactly at 10 seconds after the hour and was frozen. Got it moving again by doing a hands-reset.

My battery was still on medium, but maybe it was close to low? It freaked me out a little. Felt bad because the poor thing doesn't usually get to go to sleep. So after the hands reset and the seconds hand was moving, gave it some time off. Put it in a G-Shock tin and let it sleep for about 3 weeks, took it out and all is well. Not sure what was going on. Thought the constant ticking without a power save break was the reason? Keeping an eye on it.

If yours doesn't respond to the hands reset maybe bad module or super low battery like others said? Keep us posted on this please.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yep. Your sweety might feel depressed and need sunshine.
Go to another mode, then go back to time mode and see if there is an L on the digital screen. If so: lots of sunlight!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback..unfortunately its already out of warranty.. I pulled out the crown and adjust the home city then the second hand start moving again. But the second hand and the digital time does not sync.. I calibrate the second hand again and so far its still ok..

By the way the battery indicator is still at meduim power..

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Thanks for the feedback..unfortunately its already out of warranty.. I pulled out the crown and adjust the home city then the second hand start moving again. But the second hand and the digital time does not sync.. I calibrate the second hand again and so far its still ok..

By the way the battery indicator is still at meduim power..

its probably come out of the semi hibernate state because youve been adjusting it, give it DAYS of full sun and see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
694 Posts
My Gulfmaster just did it again today! It was sitting on my desk on a clear display stand. Looked at it and seconds hand was stopped at 6 seconds. Something may be wrong with the seconds hand motor or my battery is very close to Low. It is still showing M and all features are working.

Had to do a "hands position adjustment" to get it unstuck again.

Unfortunately we aren't getting any real sun for at least 2 months. So until then no real way to charge it up to see if that's the problem.

Love my Gulfmaster, hopefully it doesn't need repair already. It was a gift received in December 2014. It has been babied with no dropping or smashing. No real outdoor use either. Never gotten it wet or underwater at all.

Will keep this thread updated with progress

·
Registered
694 Posts
some patching sun even on a cloudy day would be better than no sun. it really does sound like its sitting between low and medium.

hopefully youre not "lucky" enough to have one of the first gulfies die on here
Hoping not as it is one of my favorite pieces and love the features. And it looks awesome too.

Will be putting it in the only window that gets any winter sun. It will sit next to it's brother the GW-6900 that went to Low in January.

Being a night owl and not getting a ton of sun is the main problem for me. And I like using the backlight and count-down timer alarm.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Stuck again at 7 secs. First hand adjustment reset did not work this time. It has worked the previous 4-5 times the hand stopped. Tried a second hand adjustment reset right after the first was done. This time hand moved and started working again. How long will it last this time?

Watch has been going to sleep lately for at least a few hours each night. Hoping it is the battery and it needs a serious recharge. Still says medium though. Not willing to put money into this watch, as it will need $150 or more of work which doesn't seem worth it. It is now 3 months out of warranty, so no help from Casio warranty.

Will be waiting for the sun to return in 2-3 months. But going to give it a chance before writing it off completely and tossing it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
You can buy a CTL1616 for about ten bucks.

Stuck again at 7 secs. First hand adjustment reset did not work this time. It has worked the previous 4-5 times the hand stopped. Tried a second hand adjustment reset right after the first was done. This time hand moved and started working again. How long will it last this time?

Watch has been going to sleep lately for at least a few hours each night. Hoping it is the battery and it needs a serious recharge. Still says medium though. Not willing to put money into this watch, as it will need $150 or more of work which doesn't seem worth it. It is now 3 months out of warranty, so no help from Casio warranty.

Will be waiting for the sun to return in 2-3 months. But going to give it a chance before writing it off completely and tossing it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have taken many Gs from M to H by using a desk lamp, with the watch facing it from about 6-8 inches.

But it will take 100 hours or so of exposure.

Works just as well as sunshine, but takes =much= longer.

Minnesotans are well read on solar substitutes, since the sun doesn't shine much in the trackless tundra for about five months of the year :).

If 24x7 exposure to a desk lamp doesn't bring you to H, you need a new battery [I have had a couple solars fail within fifteen months, but it is unusual...and I have more than 100 :)]. If a new battery doesn't solve your problems, you are facing higher costs of repair, and you are the sole judge about whether that is worthwhile.

I have had batteries die an untimely death, but I have never had a module fail...knock on wood. Of course, I am a sample size of exactly [1x100].

Best of luck.

·
Registered
694 Posts
is there a possibility that the second hand is actually a little loose?
happens even with normal watches, sometimes after a hard knock.
No, checked that out. Seconds hand is solid. Though the hour hand can be bumped off of time like other G analogs. It seems like it jumps gears and gets stuck. But since it's a stepper motor, probably not gears, but motor itself. Also this watch has never been dropped or banged hard ever. It is babied.

Concerning the battery - Don't think it's that. Still on medium. Used the 3 sec illuminator 10 times in a row to see if it would drop to Low. It did not. Might be willing to buy a $10 battery for it to try to see, but feel like that might be a waste of money too. Battery issue seems unlikely, pretty sure the stepper motor is dying.

It will definitely be expensive to fix and at this time not willing to do so. Would rather buy 1, 2 or 3 cheaper Gs instead. That would be a much better use of money and would be far more enjoyable for me as well.

·
Registered
694 Posts
New update on my Gulfmaster. Left it in a window that gets sun for the last 2 weeks. Now my GW-6900 and Gulfmaster are on "High" level charge. Had been checking the watch daily for the seconds hand problem to reoccur. Checked watch today and it is stuck today. This time stuck on 7 seconds again. Finally got it to move after 3 hand adjustment reset procedures.

Starting to wonder about the longevity of stepper motors in these analog G-Shocks, especially the seconds hand motor that is always moving. Moving forward won't be buying any of the analog G-Shocks that cost over $175. Then it won't feel bad about throwing them away when they break. The AWG models are perfect for me in this regard, going to stick to them as my analog options.

This $400 Gulfmaster only lasted 1 year and 2 months for me, with no abuse or drops or bangs against door frames, etc. It was purchased in mid December 2014.

Not fixing it. Nor would I fix any of the more expensive G-Shocks imho, it just won't be worth it. They are disposable watches when the repairs are so expensive in comparison to cost of watch. A $400 Gulfmaster that needs $150-$200+ to fix, isn't a good decision to repair (unless you still are in the 1 year warranty period). Might as well buy a brand new Gulfmaster instead, which I also won't be doing.

Fully digital and cheaper moving forward. The build quality and mechanical troubles I had with the GPW, Gulfmaster, and Mudmaster have killed my enjoyment of these higher end G-Shocks. Never again.

This is a very sad thing for me. The Gulfmaster is a beautiful watch, one of my favorites, with lots of great features. It was also a gift. Was hoping the battery was the issue, but clearly it is not.

Signing off from this thread as the battle is over with this watch for me. I have given up on it.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
New update on my Gulfmaster. Left it in a window that gets sun for the last 2 weeks. Now my GW-6900 and Gulfmaster are on "High" level charge. Had been checking the watch daily for the seconds hand problem to reoccur. Checked watch today and it is stuck today. This time stuck on 7 seconds again. Finally got it to move after 3 hand adjustment reset procedures.

Starting to wonder about the longevity of stepper motors in these analog G-Shocks, especially the seconds hand motor that is always moving. Moving forward won't be buying any of the analog G-Shocks that cost over $175. Then it won't feel bad about throwing them away when they break. The AWG models are perfect for me in this regard, going to stick to them as my analog options.

This $400 Gulfmaster only lasted 1 year and 2 months for me, with no abuse or drops or bangs against door frames, etc. It was purchased in mid December 2014.

Not fixing it. Nor would I fix any of the more expensive G-Shocks imho, it just won't be worth it. They are disposable watches when the repairs are so expensive in comparison to cost of watch. A $400 Gulfmaster that needs $150-$200+ to fix, isn't a good decision to repair (unless you still are in the 1 year warranty period). Might as well buy a brand new Gulfmaster instead, which I also won't be doing.

Fully digital and cheaper moving forward. The build quality and mechanical troubles I had with the GPW, Gulfmaster, and Mudmaster have killed my enjoyment of these higher end G-Shocks. Never again.

This is a very sad thing for me. The Gulfmaster is a beautiful watch, one of my favorites, with lots of great features. It was also a gift. Was hoping the battery was the issue, but clearly it is not.

Signing off from this thread as the battle is over with this watch for me. I have given up on it.
This is a real shame. I'd be upset too.

Many credit cards double the manufacturer's warranty. If you paid with a credit card, this might be something to check into since it's in the year after the 1-year warranty period.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I had a PAW5100 do something similar, except with the hour hand. I don't recall dropping it or causing any severe shock, but one day the time was out of sync and after cycling the hands for a full 12 hour rotation I found that they would get hung up at the same point every cycle. I never had it repaired as it was also about 18 months out of warranty. Honestly, this is the one thing that keeps me from getting a Mudmaster. Now seeing a Gulfie bite the dust really dampens the want.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Man that sucks, sorry to hear that. What happened with your Mudmaster? I have the white Gulfmaster on my buy list, but so are some higher end automatic dive watches that are ISO....not really sold on the analog G's fully yet...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts