WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

521 - 540 of 592 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,553 Posts
At the very top of my wish list is the new 2020 Colt Python. It's GORGEOUS. I will have one!
I'm curious - is the Python available in multiple calibers? Or is it....what - .44 magnum? Don't think I've ever handled one in person. And now, of course, gun shops are out of nearly everything.

I currently have a .357 magnum. Don't know if I'd want a .44 or not....but, never say never. ;)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm curious - is the Python available in multiple calibers? Or is it....what - .44 magnum? Don't think I've ever handled one in person. And now, of course, gun shops are out of nearly everything.

I currently have a .357 magnum. Don't know if I'd want a .44 or not....but, never say never. ;)
Colt Python is .357-Magnum. Just one caliber.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts

Pythons are nice, but take a look at Manurhin and Korth. Finding Korth is not easy, but more recent Korth/Nighthawk cooperation revolvers which are available are a step-up from Python, if we forget about collectable value. And although Korth is always thought of as a best mechanical take on a revolver, Manurhin IMO is simply the best .357magnum revolver money can buy.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Pythons are nice, but take a look at Manurhin and Korth. Finding Korth is not easy, but more recent Korth/Nighthawk cooperation revolvers which are available are a step-up from Python, if we forget about collectable value. And although Korth is always thought of as a best mechanical take on a revolver, Manurhin IMO is simply the best .357magnum revolver money can buy.
Those Korths are a pretty penny, if I recall. Like a REALLY pretty penny. The new Python retails at about $1400. I'd be buying it purely as a shooter.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Like I said, Pythons are nice, but I would think twise, if this is for lots of .357 rounds through.
If you want a shooter though, buy something which will live longer. Nothing better than Manurhin with that regard. They are expensive, sure, but they will outlast any other .357magnum out there.
Or with regular money, buy Ruger.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Like I said, Pythons are nice, but I would think twise, if this is for lots of .357 rounds through.
If you want a shooter though, buy something which will live longer. Nothing better than Manurhin with that regard. They are expensive, sure, but they will outlast any other .357magnum out there.
Or with regular money, buy Ruger.
That was true of the old Pythons. The new Pythons are considerably more robust.

That said... most of us don't shoot a lot of .357 (and use .38-SPL) instead at the range... because it's more punishing to the shooter (in a smaller revolver, anyway) and also a lot more expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Reload? :)

I shoot .357mags exclusively in my Manurhin, but I sure do shoot .38spl in my .357mag m66 S&W 3" barrel.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Reload? :)

I shoot .357mags exclusively in my Manurhin, but I sure do shoot .38spl in my .357mag m66 S&W 3" barrel.
No reloading for me. I don't really have the space to set up a proper bench. I shoot a fair amount of rifle rounds (.223 and 6.5 Creedmoor). It would be more worthwhile for me to reload rifle ammo, especially the 6.5CM for precision shooting.

If and when I start reloading, I want a dedicated space and proper bench to do it right. I need the kids to move out first! Then one of their rooms will be my "man cave!" I need a man cave in a bad way!

·
Premium Member
8,553 Posts
That was true of the old Pythons. The new Pythons are considerably more robust.

That said... most of us don't shoot a lot of .357 (and use .38-SPL) instead at the range... because it's more punishing to the shooter (in a smaller revolver, anyway) and also a lot more expensive.
I have a Ruger GP-100 in .357 mag. One of the fun things I like to do is load up the cylinder with .38s and .357s in a random way, then spin it before closing. You don't know what round is upcoming... and it's fun to see the difference in muzzle blast between the .38 and .357. 😂

Back in the day, according to many reports of actual shootings, the .357 mag w/125 gr. hollow point was a premier man stopping round. (still is) Now many guys are shooting other rounds for self defense. I have moved to the 9mm - its ammo effectiveness has come a long way in recent years, and hard to beat the capacity of a 9mm semi or the concealability of subcompact 9s.

Reactions: Racer88

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have moved to the 9mm - its ammo effectiveness has come a long way in recent years, and hard to beat the capacity of a 9mm semi or the concealability of subcompact 9s.
It's good, and it's bad.... the 9-mm craze. It's good that a common caliber that is very manageable by most shooters has improved to the point of being a fairly capable defensive round. I have heard of many gun owners consolidating their guns to the one caliber (9-mm) and selling off their other calibers like .40, sometimes claiming that .40 and .45 are "obsolete, because the new 9-mm HP rounds are just as capable defensively, and have the other advantages (lower recoil, higher capacity, etc.)

And, on the surface, it sounds smart. I don't think it is. And, the current situation illustrates my point perfectly. Right now... you can't hardly FIND 9-mm ammo. If you CAN find it (good luck), you'll pay through the nose. A friend has begged me for a box of 9-mm HPs, because he can't find any to protect his family. Of course, I have plenty (Federal HST - good stuff!) and was happy to give it to him.

If all you have are 9-mm pistols, and the SHTF, and you got caught with your pants down in terms of ammo supplies... you're ****ed.

If I somehow got caught with my pants down and didn't have any 9-mm, with none to be found on the market... I've still got .40, .45, .38-SPL, .357-Mag, 5.7-mm, and even .380 and .22LR.

Right now, you can't find 9-mm. But, you can find .40 and .45.

When it comes to defensive ammo supplies, I believe in diversification rather than consolidation, since most of us are dependent on commercially-available ammo.

Sure.... if you're a reloader, you don't have to buy factory ammo. But, you DO have to buy reloading supplies. And, in past feeding frenzies / panic-buys, there have been shortages of primers and powder.

In any case... I'm glad I have a diverse caliber selection. The chances of me being caught without is nearly nil. :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,553 Posts
It's good, and it's bad.... the 9-mm craze. It's good that a common caliber that is very manageable by most shooters has improved to the point of being a fairly capable defensive round. I have heard of many gun owners consolidating their guns to the one caliber (9-mm) and selling off their other calibers like .40, sometimes claiming that .40 and .45 are "obsolete, because the new 9-mm HP rounds are just as capable defensively, and have the other advantages (lower recoil, higher capacity, etc.)

And, on the surface, it sounds smart. I don't think it is. And, the current situation illustrates my point perfectly. Right now... you can't hardly FIND 9-mm ammo. If you CAN find it (good luck), you'll pay through the nose. A friend has begged me for a box of 9-mm HPs, because he can't find any to protect his family. Of course, I have plenty (Federal HST - good stuff!) and was happy to give it to him.

If all you have are 9-mm pistols, and the SHTF, and you got caught with your pants down in terms of ammo supplies... you're ****ed.

If I somehow got caught with my pants down and didn't have any 9-mm, with none to be found on the market... I've still got .40, .45, .38-SPL, .357-Mag, 5.7-mm, and even .380 and .22LR.

When it comes to defensive ammo supplies, I believe in diversification rather than consolidation, since most of us are dependent on commercially-available ammo.

Sure.... if you're a reloader, you don't have to buy factory ammo. But, you DO have to buy reloading supplies. And, in past feeding frenzies / panic-buys, there have been shortages of primers and powder.

In any case... I'm glad I have a diverse caliber selection. The chances of me being caught without is nearly nil. :cool:
Yeah, you make a good point. Ever since the buying craze began in recent months, popular ammo has been scarce. My local gun shop has been out of 9mm ammo for months. It is still available elsewhere, even now, but is not cheap. Doesn't bother me, I'm stocked up. But yes, I've noticed that my local gun shop had 45mm ammo available thru this period, also some other not-as-popular calibers like 10mm. (which, btw, I'm considering for a future purchase)

Now that I've seen what can happen when demand is high - I will NEVER be understocked w/ammo no matter the caliber. 😉

I've got 4 9mms right now, 1 .357, and 1 .22 pistol, along with many other rifle calibers and shotguns. I'll never be lacking when it comes to self or home defense. 😂

I reloaded my own many years ago. It was kinda fun, but I sold all of my equipment years ago and don't have an interest in getting into it again. Could be helpful though at times like this, as most guys tend to buy primers by the 1,000s, also bullets by large quantities. Used to be into bow hunting as well, and fletched my own arrows also...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a few 1911s, 9mm, .357mag and hands down my favorite is the 1911 platform. And of those, the current fav is the SA Loaded model, for less than $800, the tolerances are extremely tight. Can’t beat it for value!

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts

+1.

Additionally to your list, talking pistols, I also have a 10mm, a .50GI (the best "slow and large" caliber IMO which followed the .45acp appeal), .460rowland to serve as my woods automatic and .44mag (I have a long barrel) for Buffalo Bore powerful loads.

.40sw is often times the easier to find than others. Not too popular, I guess, although I trully like it and have few guns in it. IMO it's a must for 3" barreled gun for home defense.

And I do reload (mostly due to my .50GI addiction. I hope ppl do not confuse it with other .50 calibers. It is different and easy to shoot. Truly the one I love.

True what you said for powder and primers and esp. for .460 rowland suitable powders. Bullseye is mostly fine :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm curious - is the Python available in multiple calibers?

Yep like he said the Python is in .357 only. Mine is a 1964 and my brother in law has a 1970. He was a competitive combat shooter and has put better than 30,000 rounds through his over the years.

The .357 has a nice amount of energy but I always feel like I want just a little more enthusiasm out of it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fine shootin iron, it just leaves me wanting more.

The Anaconda is another story. I mix up Special and magnum rounds in the cylinder and it’s a hoot not knowing what’s coming. A Special feels like a nice step up from the Python, then when I get a 240g magnum round, it sets the handle hard back into my hand and it’s a real nice satisfying thump all the way up my arm and shoulder. It just feels ........ “right”. Funny thing, when I mix up rounds like that it eliminates all the flinch when I squeeze one off.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Yes, Pythons are very nice aesthetically and capable weapons. Still this is what Manurhin MR73 is designed to do as the weapon of choice used by the GIGN :
"Each member is required to fire 150 rounds of full-power .357 ammunition through their MR73s every day. In fact, during the initial proof-of-concept tests, 170,000 full-power cartridges were fired through an MR73…and the revolver was still functioning perfectly when the tests were finally suspended. "

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
es, Pythons are very nice aesthetically and capable weapons.
The new Python isn't the old Python. Of course, time will tell. But, the construction of the new Python is quite a bit more robust than the old one and reportedly capable of handling full-load .357 routinely. The old Pythons were known to NOT have that level of build.

521 - 540 of 592 Posts