WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been following a 1963 Smiths with original box and papers on eBay. The auction was ending at a time when I knew I wouldn't be able to bid so I set up a snipe on Gixen. Unfortunately it threw an error and didn't go through. So I missed out a watch I really wanted that went for less then I was willing to pay. :(

I am really looking for a 1963 Smiths to match my 1964 Spitfire (built in 63) as Smiths was the gauge maker for Triumph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
You will eventually get one ;)
And You could make use of Your iphone and ebay app in the future for situations like this :)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I would but it ended at an hour I knew I would be asleep.
In which case, I'd assume, you didn't really have to have that watch, did you? *ggg*

Best,
Tomcat

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In which case, I'd assume, you didn't really have to have that watch, did you? *ggg*

Best,
Tomcat
Yeah I mean I don't really "have" to have any watch lol. I have used Gixen a couple times before and never had a problem. Guess that is the last time I do that...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It'll happen to everyone at some point. Does make you feel like punching a pillow or something at the time, and then you realize things happen for a reason.

By the way, as an admirer of the venerable Triumph brand, and have owned several, you really want a Smith's watch? I get the relationship, but those gauges weren't know for utmost accuracy

PS: I've owned several TR7's. My father is still active in our state's local Triumph car club. He used to race a TR4 back in the 60's. I even had a Triumph triple road bike, the 1999 Sprint. Really a nice bike.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way, as an admirer of the venerable Triumph brand, and have owned several, you really want a Smith's watch? I get the relationship, but those gauges weren't know for utmost accuracy

PS: I've owned several TR7's. My father is still active in our state's local Triumph car club. He used to race a TR4 back in the 60's. I even had a Triumph triple road bike, the 1999 Sprint. Really a nice bike.
Well it is an excuse to buy another watch. :p Mine actually won't have any Smith's gauges as it is a vintage racer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lol I still think about a Hamilton they discontinued a few years that I saw on eBay this spring and decided that it wasn't worth ~$400 it got bid up to… Haven't seen another since… Have 2 Rolexes, an Omega and a Hamilton. But wish I had the one that got away although it probably wouldn't have appreciated in value or been worn much...

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,822 Posts
eBay have been making some changes recently which have meant some snipes have failed. Doesn't mean that all of them will nor that sniping is a bad idea. Shoving in a max bid is often just a way to ensure that someone will incrementally bid you up.

Remember too that just because it sold for less than your maximum doesn't mean that it your maximum was higher than the buyers so no guarantees they you would have won it.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
There is now a new owner that has gotten the watch unknowingly for less so be happy for this person.
:-!

Exactly! And stop clamoring on the deals you missed - be happy about those which worked out!

Best,
Tomcat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts