WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is my 15th wedding anniversary. The "modern" gift these days for 15 years is watches (it used to be crystal)!

I've been debating getting my wife a watch but didn't because she never really mentioned anything about it. She has a Rolex she got when we got married, a Casio Baby-G (white) that we got off eBay last year, and some fashion watch (white) she got for a party earlier this year. And her main go-to watch is a Fitbit Charge.

Anyway, imagine my surprise when she started mentioning how it would be nice to have a watch that wasn't white or gold (the Rollie is gold). Instantly I started looking around but because 1) I had to get paid first and 2) I didn't want to buy it too early and have her see the charge on the bank statement, I waited until yesterday to buy anything.

As luck would have it (or maybe not), I have a co-worker who moonlights at a Coach store and he mentioned they sell watches. With his discount, I would get 50% off. I took a look on the site, found one I thought she'd like, got the cash money, and had him get it for me.

Fast forward to today. I got a watch sized box at breakfast, and upon opening it, it was this:

6tag_150915-065807.jpg

A little Timex Expedition. She usually doesn't do too well with gifts for me (I'm a picky SOB, I'm surprised it's lasted 15 years!) and with this one, though it wasn't a home run, it was a solid 2 bagger. I wore it today and liked the semi-field watch style a lot. An added bonus is that it's 20mm and I have all sorts of 20mm NATOs rolling around the house.

I picked up the watch for her later today and gave it to her tonight. Upon opening the box, I saw a very nice looking, metal braceleted watch. The face was 33mm and would look great on her. Trouble is, even removing the 2 extra sizing clasps on the bracelet, it was simply too big for my wife's dainty wrists.

The past two days, she's worn a few of my watches (THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED). She wore my Seiko 38mm something-or-other (the one with the black/red accent in the 0-20min range) yesterday and a black Old Navy special, also 38mm. Both were big on her, but she could pull it off.

So, I think I'm going to return the Coach watch. Truth be told, it was a little too blingy, I think, despite the nice size. Plus, even at 50% off, it was still $125 and I can get something pretty good for that amount, or even less (we are trying to be frugal-er these days).

Another WUS posted somewhere that his wife liked his 009 and he got her one and she loved it. OMG. That would be awesome. But I think an 009 would be too big. Even perusing the Fossil site shows some cool boyfriend style watches, but at 38mm, I'm wondering if even those are too big.

I guess I'm asking for some help. Here are my asks:

* leather/NATO strap for easiest sizing
* < 38mm size
* silver/steel
* quartz
* easy to read (our eyes suck)
* water resistant good (we are not divers, hardly swim)
* price range $75-$100

Ready, set, GO!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I feel your pain. I may not be helpful in the specific sense, but in the gift arena, here's what I've learned in the last 30 years. I don't surprise my wife with anything she will wear. I take her with me to buy it. I may not buy it while we're shopping, but she will have tried it on, and given it a "seal of approval" before I get it. As to watches, we usually hit up a Macy's or equivalent, and I let her rummage through the case. Once she's found the "grail", I go find it for the best price and get it...

As to your specs, I just got my wife a Tissot from Jomashp. Nice, traditional women's watches in your range. Those might be a smidgen expensive (starting around $150), but very nice with sapphire, etc...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
About 30 seconds after I posted the above, I got an e-mail that amazon has Fossil watches half-off today...

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
For a women's watch, my favorites are the Bulova Winter Park and VSA Base Camp and Officer. I've showed these to my wife in the past, and she didn't care much for them. She likes the Fossil Sculptor however.

So, it may be best to let her help you pick it out. That way maybe the next time she wants to get you a watch, she will let you help her out.

I still want to try to get her the winter park sometime. I think she would end up enjoying it. But I would definitely buy from Amazon in case she didnt.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The Seiko SNK807 is 37mm, and is well under $100 on eBay. But be prepared to spend a bit extra on an aftermarket strap. (18mm)
My gf wears one on a navy blue Hirsch.
It is available in a range if colours, though the blue dial is probably the best bet for a lady, especially if she's hinted at wanting some colour!

This is an Automatic though...
Not sure how much a deal breaker that is!

·
Banned
2,835 Posts
Bulova Adventurer, one of my wifes favs......I buy things for my wife to wear all the time. I know what she likes and what looks good on her.

IMG_20150302_163424_063.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts