WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently purchased A gv2 triton in gold from e reputable English company brand new. I have a query in terms of the movement as I never had a watch with a movement like this before and just wanted to check something in case if its faulty or thats just normal for this watch. Basically when adjusting the time, if I go backward rather then forward the second hand stops working or freezes. When going forward its fine, just backwards its freezes. Also the rotors at the back and especially the two rotors on the side moves just a bit, not freely. Its almost unnoticeable. Apart from this the watch is keeping time correctly and no issues at all. Still with tags and everything. Maybe its just the way it is, but I just wanted to check with you before going back to the shop which I bought it from and I dont think they are aware as much. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
The term you are looking for is „back hacking“ - depending on the movement, the behaviour is to be expected and is completely normal :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and than you for replying. The movement is Technosablier Caliber MD3G Swiss Automatic Ruben & Sons . I was just worried it might be a faulty one as its a few thousand bucks watch and I didnt wanna be left with a bad one :)

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
I assume this is a non-hacking movement (seconds hand keeps moving when the crown is in the time-setting position)? If yes, this behavior is "normal" in that it is expected. As the previous poster stated, it's sometimes called "back hacking" (look it up, there are some good YouTube videos explaining it).

From what I've heard/read, "back hacking", or adjusting the time backwards on a non-hacking movement, is not good for the movement and should be avoided.

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
Hi and than you for replying. The movement is Technosablier Caliber MD3G Swiss Automatic Ruben & Sons . I was just worried it might be a faulty one as its a few thousand bucks watch and I didnt wanna be left with a bad one :)
Alright, so now someone makes a Swiss Made clone of the Miyota 8215..

-> https://calibercorner.com/ruben-and-sons-caliber-md3g/

Metal Tool Auto part Measuring instrument

(pic from Caliber Corner)

For that movement, a back hacking seconds hand is perfectly normal.

A Gevril watch with a Swiss Made Miyota 8215 clone movement that sells for $3400 on the other hand, that's pretty shocking. What in the name of..??

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
I like the turbo thrusters.

Reactions: ffritz

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havent adjusted the time back but I only was trying to adjust the time and instead of forward I went backward with just 1 minute for a second or two but not more , then after spotting it I was thinking HMM IS THAT NORMAL and I did it again with just 1 minute backwards but only for a few seconds. I hope thats not going to harm it much

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
I havent adjusted the time back but I only was trying to adjust the time and instead of forward I went backward with just 1 minute for a second or two but not more , then after spotting it I was thinking HMM IS THAT NORMAL and I did it again with just 1 minute backwards but only for a few seconds. I hope thats not going to harm it much
"Back hacking" once in a blue moon is unlikely to damage anything. There are people who, anecdotally, routinely do this with no obvious ill effects. Newer movements may be more tolerant to it. Still not something I'd make a habit of.

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
No worries. It's a Miyota 8215. That's a super robust and reliable movement. And should you somehow manage to break it even though, you can get a replacement for $45.

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
That's "several thousand dollars?" It sells for $750 at Jomashop. If you paid several thousand, you way overpaid. And right now, they have a sale on the watch - only $450.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Alright, so now someone makes a Swiss Made clone of the Miyota 8215..

-> https://calibercorner.com/ruben-and-sons-caliber-md3g/

(pic from Caliber Corner)

For that movement, a back hacking seconds hand is perfectly normal.

A Gevril watch with a Swiss Made Miyota 8215 clone movement that sells for $3400 on the other hand, that's pretty shocking. What in the name of..??
It's not confirmed to be Swiss Made, only rumoured/claimed to be...

Seriously, why would you? ETA and Selitta make prefectly useable movements, why go through all the pain of the tooling/assembly simply to be able to claim Swiss Made on a movement that originated in Japan.. Makes little sense.

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
Seriously, why would you? ETA and Selitta make prefectly useable movements, why go through all the pain of the tooling/assembly simply to be able to claim Swiss Made on a movement that originated in Japan.. Makes little sense.
Because it's cheaper to make an 8215 clone than a 2824 clone anywhere in the world, and many customers are obedient to the Swiss Made tin god. No matter what actually ticks inside. Makes perfect sense to me.

Wait until we see the first Swiss Made Tongji..

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
It sounds like you got the answers you need, so I just wanted to say welcome to the forums. That’s a very unique and interesting watch, I’m diggin’ it. Just out of curiosity, does the head pivot to different positions?

If you have some time, I’d love to see some real life pics (including different angles of the case sides) and a wrist shot.

Again, very unique and cool aesthetic. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts