WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

2601 - 2617 of 2617 Posts

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Ok, so finally a few photos. I haven't even taken the tag off yet and I've not had a chance to set it up with the atomic signal (date and time are incorrect currently). I'll do that tonight. Also, I've not taken the protective piece of cellophane off the back yet. At my first glance I thought there were scuffs on the back and then realised it was the protective cover! 😂

Although it's a G-Shock and it can take some rough and tumble, I shall take good care of it.

View attachment 15916011

View attachment 15916015

View attachment 15916016

I know you have a screen name with UK and have a UK flag next to your name but I don't really think you are in the UK. One of your pics shows a sunny day. I have been to the UK several times and I have never seen the sun there........imposter!!!!!!

Just kidding, the watch is nice. You don't need to baby it, when the time comes throw a new strap and bezel on it and it will look brand new again

·
Registered
351 Posts
Anyone in the US interested in buying my GW5000?

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,342 Posts
Reporting. About 6 years of owning mine. Not a perfect watch but close to it for me. Might change out the bezel and strap for fresh in a couple of years. When you guys do that do you use any thread lock on the little screws? View attachment 15936423
Looks well worn! I’ve had mine for about 8! It’s my favorite watch for life. I wear my Rolex and don’t baby it but certain things I won’t wear it to.

For those times and most times really, the 5000 is ideal. Three months ago I swapped out the bezel and strap and it looks new again. Guys who are babying your 5000
— trust me you don’t need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks well worn! I’ve had mine for about 8! It’s my favorite watch for life. I wear my Rolex and don’t baby it but certain things I won’t wear it to.

For those times and most times really, the 5000 is ideal. Three months ago I swapped out the bezel and strap and it looks new again. Guys who are babying your 5000
— trust me you don’t need to.

Yeah they can take anything you throw at them. Designed to be used and last. Been well worn mine has and put through quite alot. Love the thing. Seems a funny watch to buy then baby you're right but each to their own :)

Did you use any thread lock on the screws when you swapped out the resin or just screw it all back as ot was?

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
Yeah they can take anything you throw at them. Designed to be used and last. Been well worn mine has and put through quite alot. Love the thing. Seems a funny watch to buy then baby you're right but each to their own :)

Did you use any thread lock on the screws when you swapped out the resin or just screw it all back as ot was?
I honestly never used thread lock . . . And I’ve removed the screws several times. I don’t know if I should use thread lock lol

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Cool thanks guys, il maybe switch it out this week some time as I have a spare set waiting (y) or maybe il see how long the current set can last lol.
Your bezel and strap are looking fine. I only replace the bezel on a G-Shock when it is torn or falling apart or the rubber swells so bad there is a pronounced gap between the bezel and the case and I cannot get at the buttons easily. I only replace the strap when it starts to crack (i have a spare strap keeper put away just in case the one on the strap breaks (those keepers be the weak points on straps)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your bezel and strap are looking fine. I only replace the bezel on a G-Shock when it is torn or falling apart or the rubber swells so bad there is a pronounced gap between the bezel and the case and I cannot get at the buttons easily. I only replace the strap when it starts to crack (i have a spare strap keeper put away just in case the one on the strap breaks (those keepers be the weak points on straps)
Good to know. Yeah I guess I have a few years to go until my strap or bezel get like that. I think il leave it as it is, get the max out of it. I may have to replace the battery in years to come but fairly sure the watch could outlive me its that well made.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't think they really need thread lock, I never have ;)
Yeah, same here, and I have removed the screws a whole lot of times on my G-Shocks in my "trying to customize exactly like I want 'em" phase :p ... The screws are 100% okay without any thread lock, and like Dxnnis said, no need to tighten them super tight (that does more harm than good in the long run).

When tightening, just apply enough force to feel the resistance of the screw starting to tighten up, then tighten it "some more" beyond that soft-ish "okay, it's pretty much not turning anymore and definitely getting tighter" resistance, but don't go all the way to "now let's secure it as tight as I can" after that, haha. It will be good, and for plenty of removals and retightenings down the road.

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
Will be 9 years old in a couple of weeks. Nice totally reliable watch which handles a lot of abuse with no issues

View attachment 15939838
Still looks pretty good. Love the discreet crystal protector. The bezel even has some shininess from being worn and used. I think the GW-5000 has been the most satisfying watch purchase for me. Don’t regret buying mine from Seiya for like 400 back when they were more expensive.

I do wonder if Casio will refresh this line in the near future. It’s been selling quietly for over a decade now. I know people consider the GMW-B5000s as the successor models but I consider them separate and hope the 5000 may get a few minor quality of life upgrades: sapphire crystal, easier to push buttons (never been an issue for me) and maybe more light duration options.

I actually prefer the resin strap and bezel 5000 over a full metal, and I own three full metal models.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Still looks pretty good. Love the discreet crystal protector. The bezel even has some shininess from being worn and used. I think the GW-5000 has been the most satisfying watch purchase for me. Don’t regret buying mine from Seiya for like 400 back when they were more expensive.

I do wonder if Casio will refresh this line in the near future. It’s been selling quietly for over a decade now. I know people consider the GMW-B5000s as the successor models but I consider them separate and hope the 5000 may get a few minor quality of life upgrades: sapphire crystal, easier to push buttons (never been an issue for me) and maybe more light duration options.

I actually prefer the resin strap and bezel 5000 over a full metal, and I own three full metal models.

I don't think the GW-5000 needs a refresh, i think they need to expand the market for them. I think if this was sold in the USA, Casio would have a hit on their hands and would not be able to keep them in stock even if they sold it for $300-$400. The success of the higher priced G-Shocks (like the Mud Master) should convince Casio that folks will pony up the money for G-Shocks

2601 - 2617 of 2617 Posts