WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GW-5000

I have always felt a G-Shock collector needed a square in a G-Shock collection. My first square was a GWM5600BC-1. This was the Negative Atomic/Solar with Composite Bracelet. Unfortunately as much as I loved the stealth look, it was a bit too dark for my eyes. Not too long after I had purchased a GWM-5600, the regular resin positive display, it was a nice watch, but a bit flatter, smaller, and lighter than what I anticipated. It had great features, but it sat too small on my wrist and felt a little too light for my preference. I also periodically tried on the DW-5600E and had the same feeling. I liked the size of the 5600J but I overall feel for me that a solid stainless steel screwback is more my preference.
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
So I hunted long and hard for a 5600C. With incredible luck, I acquired one New Old Stock in Brand New Condition, not a mark on it. I am still grateful to own this and have no intention of ever selling it. I wear it out periodically for sporting events, and when I am feeling nostalgic. I take excellent care of it, and it is a permanent part of my collection. It is an interesting classic. The bulb lights on the left side, battery lasts for 10-15 years. The resin has more of a harder and darker feeling plastic to it than newer resin used by Casio now. Of course it gives 200 Meter Water Resistance, and displays 12/24 Hour Time, Date, Day, and seconds on the home screen. The first mode features an alarm with ability to set a date. 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] mode is “Dual Time” as opposed to World Time on the newer G-Shocks. 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] mode is the 24 Countdown Timer that allows you to countdown hours, minutes, and in seconds too. 4[SUP]th[/SUP] mode offers a 24 Hour Stopwatch. There is also a funny little reminder feature on the main display that holding in the start/stop/reminder button for 2 seconds creates a blinking cursor reminder. I remember this feature being advertised to act like a string on your finger. A lot of these modes were offered on a lot of sports watches by Casio in the 80’s. It’s 80’s/early 90’s simplicity gives it a charm.

4-5 years ago I read about Casio releasing various 5600 screwbacks. Some Anniversary versions white resin in gold screwback (Not my style) interesting negative display versions, a mirror back LCD version with the clear resin, and what I thought would had been a PERFECT until I saw the signature….the Spike Lee amongst others. I appreciated the fact that Casio answered many collectors’ requests for Screwbacks. They had finally made them accessible.
I guess they found enough success with these; 2 years ago I started reading they were releasing yet another Screwback with the 5000 name….GW-5000 in either positive display in resin, or negative display in composite bracelet. Both with Stainless Steel DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) finishes, and Multi-Band 6 with Solar and Made in Japan. In my opinion…the Perfect G! Also quite pricey! I think they were released in VERY limited quantities; they were not very easy to come by. My interest has also been diversified amongst various types of analogs and digitals, so I didn’t really chase it down that hard. I knew I wanted it, and that I would eventually get it. Whenever I read about it here my interest would strengthen, I would do my diligent searching, see them for between $500-600 on Ebay, search the Sales Forum here….then wait on it again.

Recently, I had started catching the strong interest again, even found one in the Sales Forums JUST listed by a member in Australia….it was gone in less than an hour. I sent a note to Seiya who listed it as out of stock, asked him when he was getting some, he confirmed what other members had heard…April.
I figured I would start saving some cash aside, in the meantime, I had some watches for sale in the Sales Forum, I was offered a trade for a GW-5000. This was an unexpected pleasant surprise. We worked out the details, and 2 days later it was on my wrist. I had read many reviews about this watch. As much as I looked forward to getting it, it exceeded my expectations.

The first thing I appreciated when I first opened the box was the gray gridline marking on the outer display area. The deep black inside of that, is the charging element. I like that Casio has been masking the typical solar purple coloring with either gray or black, it looks sharp. The Display itself is crisp. It is almost white with the time, date, day, seconds, and notification markings being simple and clearly shown. The Receive and Power save indicators are placed to the left of the day. DST displayed under the date, and Snooze, Alarm, Hourly Signal, and Battery Charge indicators below the time and seconds. It is easy to see where everything is, very clean and easy to read with large viewing angles.

The Strap and bezel are not the typical resin as used on most G-Shocks. What caught my serious interest from the reviews, and the reason it was better than I expected is the soft material used. It is a very soft rubber that reminds me of the rubber used on the Giez straps. It appears to be the same as the resin used on the 5600E or GWM5600 models, but it is a soft flexible almost silicon soft, but powder smooth rubber that easily conforms to the wrist. This is great for those that experience wrist swelling in the warmer days. At no point did I feel that it was loose or tight enough to adjust it during the day. The balancing of the watch head is perfect so it does not flop around like the heavier Giez models tended to do to me. The Stainless Steel is so perfectly weighted to weigh enough to know it’s there, but light enough where it stays put.

Speaking of which, turning the watch over is the Polished Black DLC Coated Screwback with laser etched writing of the name and module #, 200M WR, Stainless Steel, Shock Resistance advertised features and serial number. The DLC is extremely scratch resistant, and the Black Polish almost looks like liquid metal. Very unique and high quality.

Not forgetting this it’s Square Heritage, it’s modes are simple. It offers World Time, 5 Alarms, 24 Hour Stopwatch, and 24 Hour Countdown Timer. I have read complaints that the buttons are hard to push, thankfully, I have not found that to be the case.

In regards to comparing it to the 5600C, the looks are VERY similar with minor differences. Obviously the straps feel completely different, as mentioned, the 5600C resin is firmer and holds its shape from years being fastened to it’s display box, the 5000 hits the opposite spectrum in soft rubber and flex. The Strap lengths are equal length, but the inner area along the strap holes on the 5600C have bumps, the 5000 is smoothed.

The lettering on the bezel is white on the 5600C and gray on the 5000. It appears Casio did look to match Casio and G-Shock Logo placement on both watches. The 5000 display is vibrant, bright and clear, the glass on the 5600C is thicker, so it leaves a small shadow. It is not hard to see the 5600C display mind you, I just find the 5000 Easier on the eyes.

The weight of both watches is equal, the 5000 back case is polished as mentioned as was the original DW-5000, the 5600C is circle brushed and most certainly easier to mark it…which I to my best to avoid J

I would easily wear either one any day. I would see myself wearing the 5000 more as I don’t fear marking it as I do a little more about the 5600C.
In my opinion there is nothing not to love about the GW-5000. It is everything I have felt a 5600 should be, as comfortable as it comes, all the functions one would need for most any day, Tough Solar for longevity, Multi-Band 6 Atomic Timekeeping for spot on accuracy, and DLC which should keep this watch looking as brand new as the day you got it for as long as you own it.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Very nice review and pics. I am surprised to hear you say you are more worried about marking up the DW-5600C than the GW-5000! But I guess I understand since your 5600C was brand new when you bought it. A word about the DLC caseback: yes it is hard and resistant to scratches, but it DOES scratch if a piece of sand gets under it and rubs it. I got a couple of spare casebacks for mine from pacparts. They weren't cheap ($50 apiece, and I think it's $59 now) but think about the future and realize that the most beautiful thing about this watch is the caseback. Note also that if you do get a spare caseback, it will NOT have a serial number printed on it.

My ONLY complaint about the GW-5000 is that the buttons are a little hard to press (they are more recessed than the DW-5000 or DW-5600)

·
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice review and pics. I am surprised to hear you say you are more worried about marking up the DW-5600C than the GW-5000! But I guess I understand since your 5600C was brand new when you bought it. A word about the DLC caseback: yes it is hard and resistant to scratches, but it DOES scratch if a piece of sand gets under it and rubs it. I got a couple of spare casebacks for mine from pacparts. They weren't cheap ($50 apiece, and I think it's $59 now) but think about the future and realize that the most beautiful thing about this watch is the caseback. Note also that if you do get a spare caseback, it will NOT have a serial number printed on it.

My ONLY complaint about the GW-5000 is that the buttons are a little hard to press (they are more recessed than the DW-5000 or DW-5600)
Thanks...

I think the 5600C is more likely to scuff or scratch on an accidental bump than the DLC back of the 5000. The sand I understand as I have seen 1 grain reek havoc on sapphire, mineral, and electronic displays than the bumps on doors, chairs, walls, etc.

I had initially thought the buttons being hard to push would be equivalent to a Mudman, the recess I anticipated and wasnt as bad as my initial concerns.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Excellent comparative review, Doug. Bravo. It's great to know the differences in such detail between the DW-5600C and GW-5000. :-!

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
DougFNJ said:
Recently, I had started catching the strong interest again, even found one in the Sales Forums JUST listed in the by a member in Australia….it was gone in less than an hour.
Sorry, that one came to me. Feel a little proud that I can beat the sale forum moderator b-)

GW-5000 is the perfect G for me. Everything is just right. My only wish is it has the dual time. My suggestion to Casio to make it super perfect is the dual illuminator likes mudman.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Really great story and great review :)
This review is what i searched for so long :D

Anyway, That DLC Screwback on the GW-5000 is sooo beautiful! and the dial looks awesomely clear too!
Hmmm, make me think to add it to my long-loooong wishlist :p

And also, do you think DW-5000 is worth to buy? it's definitely cheaper for college guy like me, and has screw back too!

Cheers :D

·
Banned
856 Posts
Thanks for a well done review of a nice watch :-!

This just says so much:

I had read many reviews about this watch. As much as I looked forward to getting it, it exceeded my expectations.
Personally, I highly doubt I'll ever spend this kind of money on a G - in that case, I'd rater step up and get my dream analog. Anyway, I enjoyed reading the review, and it also gave me some kind of understanding of why the GW-5000 is so demanded.

I have a DW-5600E and a DW-5600C in as good condition as yours. The idea of getting the E, was to merge the module into the C - but it soon became clear that the display of the C was much crisper and with good contrast, so the module swap is on hold for now. I'm surprised to read that the GW-5000 is even crispier and better... O-oh, now I even considered getting a GW-5000 :think:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
until about a minute ago, all was fine and all i wanted was a Dw-5000SL somewhere in the future.... suddenly the GW-5000 seems really attractive. Don´t know why, as i´ve read reviews and seen pics here, but this forum might lead to trouble...

·
Registered
70 Posts
will agree with almost everything
-I like it very GW5000
but I have a few complaints

I do not know, maybe now is a little different:
but in my opinion GW5000 has:
-works hard buttons
-numbers very quickly not to read [I hope you know what I said]
DW5000SL, DW5600C - have smaller numbers, but are very readable,

and in my opinion DLC
very quickly scratch

I bought my model in 2009,
So maybe now is a little different:

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I'm surprised to read that the GW-5000 is even crispier and better... O-oh, now I even considered getting a GW-5000 :think:
The GW-5000 crispness and contrast is probably equal to or better than the DW-5600C at optimal viewing angle. However, the vintage LCDs (those without the illuminator, such as the DW-5600C) do look better at odd angles, such as when viewed from the side, or hit with light at different angles.

The BEST looking LCD in all conditions and angles that I've found, all things considered, is the 240 module of the DW-5200C (Hero) G-shock. It is even more legible and contrasty than my Wide Temp 5100 at odd angles (the Wide Temp beats all at optimal viewing angle). I am somewhat obsessed with this model as of late. (The 240 module is also on the original DW-5000C, but that watch is more expensive for collector's value).

The digits on the 240 are fatter and darker than the 5600C. The problem is that most watches with the 240 module have been beat up over the years, so unless you are into restoration or want to pay a lot, they are out of the question.

The main benefit of the GW-5000 over these vintage LCDs is the fact that the GW-5000 not only has very good contrast but ALSO has an illuminator backlight, instead of the old incandescent bulb. The GW-5000 shares the same module/display as the carbon fiber GW-S5600, by the way.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Nice review, thanks, and I agree with everything you say about the 5000 after owning one for several weeks now, just a great watch to wear in all respects.

·
Banned
856 Posts
That was some very good info here, kung-fusion |>

It has surprised me, that the 5600C keeps on growing on me, crispiness is very important to me. And you've just saved me quite some money, if you ever come nearby Copenhagen, I'll buy you a beer ;-)

·
Registered
652 Posts
VERY nice review. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I love my GW-5000 and think its a wonderful homage and companion to the original screwback classics:

I find the GW-5000 has a mystique and interesting psychology around it on these forums. Here's a detailed review I wrote up a while ago.

Enjoy! And cheers!

Dave

PS: here it is again -- worn on a very momentous day last fall: the digital moment of the century. An occurrence none of us will ever see again.

·
Banned
133 Posts
... With incredible luck, I acquired one New Old Stock in Brand New Condition, not a mark on it....
Let me make a wild guess ... auction site ... ~4-5 months ago ... the last bid was around 10:30-11AM Pacific. ... and there was a monster jump in the last 2 seconds. If that's the case .... sorry Doug. But I was pretty sure that my bet was more than good enough to take it.
p.s. I have to thank U for your GS-1300B review . This review and this watch started my G-Love again after ~ 20 years.
P.s.s. Enjoy your GW-5000. This is the KING of all G-Shocks!!!!!! :-!

·
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let me make a wild guess ... auction site ... ~4-5 months ago ... the last bid was around 10:30-11AM Pacific. ... and there was a monster jump in the last 2 seconds. If that's the case .... sorry Doug. But I was pretty sure that my bet was more than good enough to take it.
p.s. I have to thank U for your GS-1300B review . This review and this watch started my G-Love again after ~ 20 years.
P.s.s. Enjoy your GW-5000. This is the KING of all G-Shocks!!!!!! :-!
No sir, I am always happy to point to this post as an incredible gesture of generosity.....

https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/stev...sy-guy-5600c-arrived-modem-burner-169698.html

·
G-Shock Mod
14,272 Posts
Awesome read. When the mood strikes me for a 5600, I always go for the DW5600C, otherwise, GW5000 would have been a great watch for me

·
Banned
133 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts