1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Hard to compare the 2, since the only similarity they have is only in appearance. The GW5K's got more under the hood (namely the multiband 6 and screwback), but it also costs a great deal more.

Simply an evolutionary process...:)

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
The new model looks better and works better. The King is dead, long live the King.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
One word, awesome!

Casio is making my dream come true.;-) Bad news for my wallet though! :-d:-d

Now,if only Casio would put sapphire crystal on it, and maybe DLC coated stainless steel band? What about MR-G version, full titanium construction + DLC coating? :p:p:p

Cheers,
MountainMike

·
Registered
803 Posts
Now,if only Casio would put sapphire crystal on it, and maybe DLC coated stainless steel band? What about MR-G version, full titanium construction + DLC coating? :p:p:p

Cheers,
MountainMike
Sure thing, that'll be $8,000, plus tax and delivery. :-!

Reactions: n_wildgirl

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
sure on paper the GW-5000 seems better, but hypothetically speaking what if it turns out to be a bunk module like the G-5600/5700's had???:-s

honestly the GW-M5600's havnt been out even a year yet, and the GW-5000 isnt out at all. so it seems to me that everyone is basing there descisions based on appearance, and supposed function?
mabye you should wait until one half of your competing watches are actually released and people have them before trying to compare them:think:

we should ask this question again in 10 to 20 years to be truly objective. thats just my opinion, but honestly the title should just have read
"how many of you are hyped up about a watch that isnt out yet, i know i am!":roll:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
If only for the absence of the red line bordering the screen, my vote goes to the GW-5000.

The "Riseman" text on my G-9200 is no longer as red as it used to be due to solar exposure, and it's something that can't be helped since we're talking about a solar-powered watch. That same culprit could ruin the aesthetics on a GW-M5600, which is why I'm glad I stuck with the GW-5600J.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Quoting Topher1556 from the original thread that I linked above :

Actually, the module used in the GW-5600 has some rather unfortunate limitations: short CDT (60 mins); 2-band waveceptor (US and Japan); no day/date display at the same time; time not shown in other modes. The case of the GW-5600, whether better or not, is resin.

The new GW-5000 has improved all of these downsides: 24hr CDT; 6 band wavecepter; day/date displayed simultaneously; time will most likely be shown in other modes. And the case is solid SS.

The improvements certainly warrant the price to me.
Maybe this could be added to the first message above ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
hi all!!

In my opinion the new 5000 is a great watch and indeed fulfills many of the G-Shock fans expectations. Nevertheless I can't help feeling a certain bitter taste about the new "king"

The fact is that I have the feeling that Casio is rising a lot the price range of some of the new G-Shocks. The new 5000 will be a great watch, perhaps the quintessence of the G-Shock, it will have almost all the features that G-Shock purists dream of. However, I think that affordability is one of the "must" features of a G-Shock, and those $300-400...

In no case I'm saying that the new 5000 isn't worth the money, but personally I wouldn't wear this model in the hard situations/environments that made me fall into G's. I wear the GWM5600 when I need a G.

The new 5000, a G-Shock for G-Shock purists. :-!

Greetings!!
Toni, Comando G

·
Registered
141 Posts
The GW-5000 is definitely more desirable, the screwback alone makes me drool :D

But when I think of these two watches I'm compelled to look at the bang for your buck, so to speak. The GWM-5600 can be had around 89$ EASILY, and this new GW-5000 will retail for around 300-400? In terms of money and value, I think the GWM-5600 takes the cake hands down. But of course we can't really make judgements until both watches are released.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The GW-5000 is definitely more desirable, the screwback alone makes me drool :D

But when I think of these two watches I'm compelled to look at the bang for your buck, so to speak. The GWM-5600 can be had around 89$ EASILY, and this new GW-5000 will retail for around 300-400? In terms of money and value, I think the GWM-5600 takes the cake hands down. But of course we can't really make judgements until both watches are released.
This new Multi-Band 6 screwback version is likely to have the holy grail G-Shock words engraved on it's back, 'Made in Japan' as opposed to the normal made in Thailand.
Many say that the quality of the 'Made in Japan' models is of a much higher standard, but this seems to come with a hefty price premium. :-(

·
Registered
94 Posts
The GW-5000 looks to be the perfect G-Shock, but that price tag is absurd! You are basically paying at least $200+ for the screwback, right? The differences between it and the M5600 are limited, other than the screwback.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I'm supprised that no one talkes about ever important module functions.

For this to be a real new king of the hil it needs time visible in all modes, 24h CDT and STW with CDT adjustable to the second.

If it misses in any of these departments it will NOT be worth the money... GW-M5600 came close REAL close... but it was sadly missing time visible in stopwatch mode...

It remains to be seen what this module really offers. Casio has been notorious for messing up solar / atomic modules in the past so I'm a bit sceptical that this one will finally deliver.

And yes, let's face it, there will always be question of cost. Numerous topics were created with endless discussions if atomic / solar is actually worth the money so I'd say that jury is still out in that department. And with batteries actually costing so little it will be even more heated debate if any casio is worth 400 bucks regardless of looks and fuctions.

SIDENOTE: Regular 5600 can be obtained for under 50 bucks... but let's assume it's 50 bucks. Also , let's assume that battery lasts 2 years as advertised (even thou it will last at least 4-6 if you don't use alarm on daily basis). Over period of 16 years I can get 8 regular 5600s even if I decide to dispose it after the battery is depleted... I don't think that there is anyone on this forum who has enough confidence that solar module will work with no problems after 15 years... THIS is the real difficulty in selling this model.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Not at $400--no King will live on my wrist.
You're way off on the price. I think you're assuming no discount. There is always a 20-30% discount for a non-limited release.

I'm supprised that no one talkes about ever important module functions.

For this to be a real new king of the hil it needs time visible in all modes, 24h CDT and STW with CDT adjustable to the second.

If it misses in any of these departments it will NOT be worth the money... GW-M5600 came close REAL close... but it was sadly missing time visible in stopwatch mode...

It remains to be seen what this module really offers. Casio has been notorious for messing up solar / atomic modules in the past so I'm a bit sceptical that this one will finally deliver.

And yes, let's face it, there will always be question of cost. Numerous topics were created with endless discussions if atomic / solar is actually worth the money so I'd say that jury is still out in that department. And with batteries actually costing so little it will be even more heated debate if any casio is worth 400 bucks regardless of looks and fuctions.

SIDENOTE: Regular 5600 can be obtained for under 50 bucks... but let's assume it's 50 bucks. Also , let's assume that battery lasts 2 years as advertised (even thou it will last at least 4-6 if you don't use alarm on daily basis). Over period of 16 years I can get 8 regular 5600s even if I decide to dispose it after the battery is depleted... I don't think that there is anyone on this forum who has enough confidence that solar module will work with no problems after 15 years... THIS is the real difficulty in selling this model.
The GW-M also only had a 60min CDT. I'm very interested to see the module details as well.

And I guess I am the one person on this entire forum that thinks in 15 years I won't have a problem with my solar/atomic Gs. Heck...there's no problems with solar models currently 10-11 years old :-!.

Quoting Topher1556 from the original thread that I linked above :

Maybe this could be added to the first message above ?
Wow...I've been quoted b-). Be careful though... I was answering a comparison of the GW-5000 to the GW-5600. There is also the GW-M5600, which has a much better module than the GW-5600 :).

The GW-5000 looks to be the perfect G-Shock, but that price tag is absurd! You are basically paying at least $200+ for the screwback, right? The differences between it and the M5600 are limited, other than the screwback.
Your prices, like others, seem "off".

Okay...to break down the pricing again...

I am not sure whether this was posted before but perhaps just an update.

GW-5000 Tax in 39,900円 - 5月31日 ~ 2,000個
GW-5000B Tax in 45,150円
GW-6900 Tax in 21,000円 - 6月30日 ~ 2,000個
GW-6900BC Tax in 25,200円

So we've got:

• GW-5000 Tax in 39,900
  • GW-5000B Tax in 45,150
  • GW-6900 Tax in 21,000
  • GW-6900BC Tax in 25,200
After you figure a very possible 25% off, it looks like this:

• GW-5000 Tax in 29,925
  • GW-5000B Tax in 33,863
  • GW-6900 Tax in 15,750
  • GW-6900BC Tax in 18,900
After you convert at today's rates (to USD):

• GW-5000 Tax in $298
  • GW-5000B Tax in $337
  • GW-6900 Tax in $157
  • GW-6900BC Tax in $188
And these prices leave room for another 5% off...and they include the Japanese tax (which I don't think are included for non-domestic sales...truly no idea though). So we could be looking at a street price of:

• GW-5000 $265
  • GW-5000B $300
  • GW-6900 $140
  • GW-6900BC $167

1 - 20 of 32 Posts