WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I am a little late on this one, but I finally got the GW-T5030. No unboxing pics or anything like that, because we already have those thanks to other members. I was a little stressed about this shipment because when I checked online this morning the tracking info said that it was out for delivery. Then at 11:00, I checked again and it said online that delivery was attempted and a notice left because no authorized recipient was available. This was simply not true... I was home... So I tried calling the post office but no one picked up. I got in my car to drive to the post office to arrange for a pickup (I wasn't going to take any chances on this one going missing). I drove half a block and spotted the mail van, so I parked and approached the carrier. I asked her and she admitted that she didn't actually attempt delivery! She said she just put that in the system so she wouldn't get in trouble for not having it delivered by noon. She said she was going to go and deliver it by 3 or 4 pm, and told me some story about her back being hurt and having to take time off... I asked if I could just get it now, and she said okay because she knew me. She let me sign for the package and take it from the van.

So, long story short, I got it and took it out of the box. I was not sure at first if I was going to wear this one or let it sit new for a while... But after holding it for about a minute, I couldn't help but peel off all the stickers and try it on. I decided that not only would I wear it, it would be my new daily wear G-shock.

But not until I inspected it further...

I took it apart and examined it. At first I thought, "I paid too much for this to be taking it apart and playing around with mods." But then I remembered a girl from high school who got an expensive pair of boots and drew pictures on them. I remember saying to her, "Don't you feel like you paid too much for those to be drawing on them" and she said, "I paid too much for these NOT to be drawing on them."

I can confirm what is and what is not titanium, based on weight and magnet tests:

Case: titanium
Caseback: titanium
Bezel screws: titanium
Keeper: titanium
Buckle: titanium
Buttons: titanium

Spring rods: steel
Buckle spring rod: steel
Button springs: steel
E-clips for buttons: steel

I straightned out the caseback to my liking and decided that I would NOT wear it with the titanium keeper (don't want to scratch it). I will wear it with the original buckle, but on DW-5600E resin, not the original band (which is very soft). I like a firmer band.

Buttons are definitely much easier to press than GW-5000 :)

I screwed on a GW-5000 caseback just to see what it would look and feel like. It was much heavier with the GW-5000 caseback. Very noticeable. I considered keeping the GW-5000 caseback on it, and preserving the Ti caseback, but I decided against it because the coefficient of thermal expansion for Ti and Steel is different, and exposing the watch to heat could cause permanent damage to the screwback threads if one part expands faster than another. I think this is also the reason Casio used Ti screws rather than steel screws.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Wow you are the man Kung!

I don't think many members on here would have the b***s to dismantle a new and expensive watch.

That is great information about the composition of the watch.

You were sensible not to put the SS back on. Titanium is a more noble metal than SS and can cause it to rust due to galvanic reaction. You could have ended up with a seized on caseback.

Mitch

·
Registered
479 Posts
Brilliant. Well done for having the guts to do this and many thanks for sharing with us.:-!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Congrats kung!

Well, considering you did put together your GW5000 from the ground up I'm not entirely surprised that you have the confidence (or the curiosity for that matter!) to take apart this T5030 for close examination...but thanks for showing us all something cool :)

Good job on intercepting the post van too. Probably makes it all the more memorable acquiring this piece :)

Wear it in good health!

Sent from the 'droid.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome shoots there and you are indeed a brave man!:rodekaart:-!

What tool did you use to remove that case back without a mark on it?:think:
Thanks. I used a jaxa tool. Tool on the floor, watch on top. Press down hard and turn. It is on pretty tight from the factory and it squeals when it is unscrewing for the first time!

Btw, I also installed a composite bracelet but switched back to resin because I wanted all the metal parts to be titanium. The wrist shot is with the bracelet

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool thread. I had similar experience about that they left the notice without even try to ring the bell. And then the van chase down story.

Anyway GWT5030 has very interesting build and parts. Does the ti case get DLC?

In this case, she didn't even leave a notice, she just said that she left a notice on her computer when in fact she didn't even stop by. Yes, the case is all DLC coated

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,354 Posts
Congrats on your latest. I like this particular model a lot. I also had a similar experience with the delivery person simply sticking a note on the door and bolting. He or she was a Fed Ex delivery person; I was at home anxiously waiting, having periodically checked the delivery information page for my Sinn online. No bell was rung (I live in an apartment). I even called one of their service centers to see if they could arrange another attempt, especially since I was home at the time of their so called attempted delivery.

Maybe these delivery personnel have a system for cutting corners?

Anyways, I digress. Thanks for opening the caseback. Does doing so compromise water resistance?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Huge congratulations and thank you for showing a different point of view of the GW-T5030. I don't imagine there are many people who would take the stickers off let alone dismantle one as soon as they received it. Very impressive.
If you are wearing it with the 5600E resin, does that include switching the bezel or just the band?

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Huge congratulations and thank you for showing a different point of view of the GW-T5030. I don't imagine there are many people who would take the stickers off let alone dismantle one as soon as they received it. Very impressive.
If you are wearing it with the 5600E resin, does that include switching the bezel or just the band?

I am keeping the bezel original since the letters match the crystal. I think it might be the same as the DW-5030C, so I am going to buy a couple DW-5030C bezels.

Water resistance should not be affected if you screw the case back on tight enough

BTW, I already did a mod on this watch internally. I thought that the antenna looked kind of small, so I opened my GW-5000 and compared. The antenna on the GW-5000 is much bigger! This is strange considering they are supposed to have the same module. Anyways, I want this to be my ultimate G-shock, so having a small antenna was no good...

I disassembled the module and swapped the circuitry with that of my GW-5000, so now the GW-T5030 has the big antenna. I don't know if this will really make a difference with atomic reception or not, but I didn't like the idea that Casio is skimping on antenna length now, especially considering this is a premium model.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here is another shot of the GW-T5030 board next to a different GW-5000 board from my parts box. In this case too, the GW-5000 board has a monster antenna. I think Casio is making the antennas smaller now

·
Registered
8,354 Posts
This thread is definitely not for the faint of heart. You really took it apart now!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Exactly what I was wondering as soon as I saw the pictures.
And here I am, looking at what I think are marks left behind by the jaxa prongs!

I do love these disassembly/mod threads, Kung. Nice high-res photos. Nice crazy ideas ;-)

The module looks like it has a telescoping spring pushing out toward the case back. Post #1, third photo down, to the two o'clock of the oscillator tuning cap. Does the GW-5000 have one too? First time I've seen one, it's pretty cool.

BTW even though it looks like the threads on both are DLC coated, I definitely wouldn't put a steel back on a titanium case (or vice versa). You really don't want galvanic corrosion 'welding' them together!

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This thread is definitely not for the faint of heart. You really took it apart now!

Yeah, sorry I didn't take photos of the screen assembly. I just realized that would have been interesting. I was concentrating too much. It is a transparent LCD with no background, and the screen is a separate piece that fits between the LCD and the backlight. The screen is silver! The LCD has a tint (possibly on the polarizing filter) that makes it brown.

·
Registered
8,354 Posts
Yeah, sorry I didn't take photos of the screen assembly. I just realized that would have been interesting. I was concentrating too much. It is a transparent LCD with no background, and the screen is a separate piece that fits between the LCD and the backlight. The screen is silver! The LCD has a tint (possibly on the polarizing filter) that makes it brown.
It's cool. I imagine that taking it apart would be nerve wracking task. Some of us are curious to see what the interesting sunburst-brown screen is comprised of. Thanks for sharing your insight into that.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And here I am, looking at what I think are marks left behind by the jaxa prongs!

I do love these disassembly/mod threads, Kung. Nice high-res photos. Nice crazy ideas ;-)

The module looks like it has a telescoping spring pushing out toward the case back. Post #1, third photo down, to the two o'clock of the oscillator tuning cap. What is that? Does the GW-5000 have one too? First time I've seen one...

That spring is just the alarm spring. The GW-5000 has it too. What looks like marks are just grease spots. They come off with a Q-tip. The inner parts of the notches are rough and unfinished compared to the rest of the caseback, probably so tools will grip better and not slip out.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's cool. I imagine that taking it apart would be nerve wracking task. Some of us are curious to see what the interesting sunburst-brown screen is comprised of. Thanks for sharing your insight into that.
This model really is a throwback to the vintage DW-5000C. The LCD of the DW-5000C (and other vintage squares from the 1980's) has a clear LCD with a metal sheet that is NOT attached the LCD sitting behind the LCD. Modern G-shocks (all of the them that I have opened) have LCDs with mirror stickers STUCK to the LCD. So this model is like the old ones, where the shiny metallic background is not attached to the LCD.

A lot of DW-5000C's from 1983 have brown polarizing filters, which have discolored with age. I think that is what Casio was going for here, which explains why they call this "vintage brown". I suspected this might be the case earlier. The fact that they applied this tint to the polarizing filter just makes me certain that this was their intention. To pay homage to the discolored look of vintage LCDs

1 - 20 of 36 Posts