WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to learn more about the GW2000 and found this old thread from four years ago.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/gw-2000-owners-please-stand-up-481966.html

I learned that it has a 24 hour stopwatch and 24 hour countdown timer.

I also learned that not many people own this model.

Most that do, or did, liked it.

I just purchased mine, new - never worn with a (I think) Japanese tag.

From reading this thread I assume it was first made in 2009 but by the time (Dec 2010) the above thread was started it was discontinued in the US, not sure about everywhere else.

One poster here stated his was a Japanese version (black bezel and black resin band) is that what makes it the Japanese release? Most I see have a stainless bracelet and silver bezel.

I haven't worn it yet, haven't even played around with it much yet. I planned on wearing it today but changed my mind. It syncs at night in the drawer with it's friends with no problem.

Just trying to learn more about this model, there is very little on the internet about it. Please share if you can help me learn about it more.

Why so short lived? Too small? It seems to have a great module.

Pics of mine.
GW2000B-1-001.jpg

Lume is better in darkness but like all Casio lume it dies quicker than it should.
GW2000B-1-002.jpg

G1200 on the right wing for size comparison.
GW2000B-1-003.jpg

Same
GW2000B-1-004.jpg

GW2000B-1-005.jpg

Along side a GA110
GW2000B-1-006.jpg

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Might have been quickly superceded by the GW-2500

My only regret is that the 2500 has no sweep second hand

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
cellphone came out in full effect, plenty and affordable, people thought they didn't need to wear a watch anymore - or wear automatic watch with gold and diamond to to show off how rich they are ...

casio, texas instrument, and most of watch makers almost died LOLz

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I really wanted to like it. I bought and sold it twice, but I just never bonded with it. I thought it was kind of thick, compared to its width, so it looked out of proportion--kinda top heavy. I also didn't like the chromed buttons and the bezel was too busy for my liking. Too much type. But the module was great and it was super comfortable to wear on the bracelet.

I wound up replacing it with my MTG-1200B which has the same functions as the GW2000 but with a Tough Movement module. And a much more stealth look.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
I really wanted to like it. I bought and sold it twice, but I just never bonded with it. I thought it was kind of thick, compared to its width, so it looked out of proportion--kinda top heavy. I also didn't like the chromed buttons and the bezel was too busy for my liking. Too much type. But the module was great and it was super comfortable to wear on the bracelet.

I wound up replacing it with my MTG-1200B which has the same functions as the GW2000 but with a Tough Movement module. And a much more stealth look.

Nice, but expensive....more than double.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might have been quickly superceded by the GW-2500

My only regret is that the 2500 has no sweep second hand
That is possible, but given the choice I would rather own the GW2000 for the reason you stated, the second hand. And if I'm correct, the digital of the 2500 does not light up. Am I correct about the light? I think I read that, don't own one myself.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cellphone came out in full effect, plenty and affordable, people thought they didn't need to wear a watch anymore - or wear automatic watch with gold and diamond to to show off how rich they are ...

casio, texas instrument, and most of watch makers almost died LOLz
Sorry, no, I agree there is some truth to what you say but many other models from the same year sold and are still around.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well I'm not sure if I'll be keeping this one either. I like it but at 59 and still not needing glasses for anything (except this watch) I agree the text is a bit small. I can read it but it takes a squint to see the small stuff.

But I do like the module from the little time I have spent playing with it. I like how the second had tells you with a push of a button it has synced with a yes or no.

I'm used to larger watches so if I sell it it will be because of it's size. There should be many looking for smaller GShocks.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
That is possible, but given the choice I would rather own the GW2000 for the reason you stated, the second hand. And if I'm correct, the digital of the 2500 does not light up. Am I correct about the light? I think I read that, don't own one myself.
The 2500 has a light, top right pusher

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The 2500 has a light, top right pusher
It does have a light, but it doesn't light the LCD, it only helps see the analog dial.

I don't think the GW2500 superseded it... just like the GW3500 didn't supersede the GW3000. It just appeared to be a trend with ana-digi version of the analogs. Some of us hoped to see a GW4500.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The variant is resin band on left, and metal bracelet on right. I have the metal bracelet version. My take on it is that it is a great looking watch, but the metal bezel isn't well protected so the black IP (or whatever the coating is) will take a beating and look bad pretty quickly. So it is more of a watchbox queen for me.

Apparently there was a variation on the black bezel versions

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If you are looking for some fun, I believe the MTG1200 bracelet will fit on it and you can find good deals on eBay for it. I am still sorting this out as I first used the end piece from the GW3500 and it is a bit too wide but fit with some pressure. But I have the MTG adapters on order and hope to have that sorted on PacParts time (e.g. 1.5 months from now). One added benefit is that it has two pads on the clasp to keep it from scratching while desk diving... the stock part doesn't have any pads.

Here is the whole thread: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/gw2500-mtg1200-bracelet-1308114.html

Or here is a quick photo:
IMG_3885.jpg

·
Registered
431 Posts
This is, for me, the best analog module Casio ever made, and the best looking analog g-shock Casio ever made. The module is simply great and I still get an awesome kick and feel boyish happiness every time I activate the timer and see that seconds hand start ticking backwards or when I switch between time keeping and active timer and/or stop watch and see the hands move smoothly and precisely to wherever they need to be. Also, I was very worried about scratching the metal bezel, so I bought a bunch of replacements, but so far there was no need to replace anything-no scratches to speak of. And my 2 GW2000s have been my daily wearers for the better part of the last 3 years so I can only praise their sturdiness and toughness.

Also, I can very highly recommend putting this watch on Keoni's aviator strap adapters. I use Keoni's adapters with Casio's original end pieces because they cover the ugly gap that would otherwise be visible between the bezel and base of the watch. Fitting Keoni's adapter over the end-piece requires some work-you will need to file away extra material (about 1,5 mm from each side)-not exactly the easiest task-when they say strong material, they apparently mean it, but the final result is very pleasing (I get a lot of compliments, even from my wife who otherwise hates g-shocks). Here is mine today on Strap Code's 20 mm canvas in olive drab:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
I had one. Really liked it. Just that was too small. Great functions with Casios 5 motor tech.

24hr CDT, Alarm, world time, dual time, 24 stop watch, Multiband 6, auto DST...and the nice thing about is you can swap world time with local time by pressing and holding the mode button and button at the 2 o'clock.

If it was larger I would've kept it. Pretty much the most traditional analog design Casio has ever come out with.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just noticed you guys posted a lot of good info that I somehow missed. I've been busy.

And now my wife just said we have family visitors walking up the front steps now so I have to run. I'll be back.

Merry Christmas!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts