WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... haven't been here in awhile. Bought a used MRG-7000 from someone here in 2005, but my login no longer exists so I had to recreate it.

Anyway, just bought a GW2310FB. Really like the all black bezel and already ordered a black butterfly clasp for it. What I'm not liking so much is the negative LCD.

Ordered a GW2310-1 that will be here Monday. Was planning to try each of them for a couple days then return one. Then got to thinking that maybe I could perform some surgery and get the all black look that I like on the case with a positive display.

Looks like there are a couple paths I can take:

(1) Return the GW2310FB and order black inner and outer bezels and front button from PacParts to put on the GW2310-1.

(2) Swap the modules, keep the extra band as a spare, sell the GW2310FB module and GW2310-1 case for parts.

I'm no stranger to taking things apart, but have never done a watch. Is either of these options more complicated or risky than the other? Does anyone know of a 2310 disassembly guide?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
same thing as other Gshock,

remove springbars to remove straps,

unscrew the 4 screws at the bottom, remove the plate, lift up the rubber, lift up the module, put in the new module, make sure it stays attached to the buttons and responsive, put back the rubber, make sure the gasket at its place, put back the plate, screws the 4 screws, install the straps

i am sure there is a link here for other Gshock, it's pretty much the same

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
I did a little of what you suggested. I got myself a GW-2310 and put an FB inner bezel on it. I also installed the outer bezel from the BD model, as I liked the smaller lettering. And of course, no matter what bezel you get you can fill in the lettering with black paint for a stealth look. The only thing you can't really deal with easily are the colored graphics on the dial, but since they're so small I didn't really mind. Here's the result:

WUS_wruw-0509.jpg

I don't mind the negative display of the GW-2310FB, but since I already had the GW-2310 and plenty of negative display G-Shocks, I decided this was the way to go. I'm pretty happy with the results. I may at some point down the road paint the lettering black, including the "G".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
same thing as other Gshock,

remove springbars to remove straps,

unscrew the 4 screws at the bottom, remove the plate, lift up the rubber, lift up the module, put in the new module, make sure it stays attached to the buttons and responsive, put back the rubber, make sure the gasket at its place, put back the plate, screws the 4 screws, install the straps

i am sure there is a link here for other Gshock, it's pretty much the same
That sounds easy enough... thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a little of what you suggested. I got myself a GW-2310 and put an FB inner bezel on it. I also installed the outer bezel from the BD model, as I liked the smaller lettering. And of course, no matter what bezel you get you can fill in the lettering with black paint for a stealth look. The only thing you can't really deal with easily are the colored graphics on the dial, but since they're so small I didn't really mind. Here's the result:

I don't mind the negative display of the GW-2310FB, but since I already had the GW-2310 and plenty of negative display G-Shocks, I decided this was the way to go. I'm pretty happy with the results. I may at some point down the road paint the lettering black, including the "G".
Thanks very much for that pic. Looks great. Is that before or after the BD outer bezel? I'm not sure what you mean by smaller lettering on the BD outer bezel... looking at pics online, they all look the same size to me across all the 2310 models. I guess I should make sure I have my terminology correct... by outer bezel I mean the outermost plastic with mode, adjust, forward, back lettering on it.

What was involved in replacing the inner and outer bezels?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mix and match parts from these stock 2310s

Dilemna is whether to switch the inner bezels or switch the modules.
Great pic! That's really the question I have. From a cost perspective, it seems like sending the FB back and just ordering the FB inner and outer bezels and front button would be the least expensive approach. That's assuming that removing and reinstalling the bezels isn't any more difficult than swapping modules and has no higher risk of damaging something.

Then the other concern is that when looking at the glass, not all of the lettering is on the same plane, like there's "upper glass" and "lower glass." It looks like the "upper glass" is part of the case and I'm assuming that the "lower glass" is actually the module itself. So, swapping modules will leave the "upper glass" lettering... Casio, start/stop, select, set, split/reset... looking dark, and not sure if it will look right with the brighter GW2310-1 module lettering. That would be another factor that might make swapping bezels and front button a better option than swapping modules.

Also, it's hard to tell from online pics, but some shots make it appear that the 2310-1 is a very dark gray rather than the jet black of the 2310FB. Is that true or is it just varying lighting?

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Also, it's hard to tell from online pics, but some shots make it appear that the 2310-1 is a very dark gray rather than the jet black of the 2310FB. Is that true or is it just varying lighting?
The black bezel and strap are the same shade of black (other than the lettering) on all 3 shown above (I don't have a BD).

I was leaning toward the straight module swap as then one has the darker "eye" and glass lettering plus the blacked out lettering on both inner and outer bezels of the FB with the positive module of the -1.

Additionally one could also swap the outer bezel to get the subdued gray lettering instead of dead black letters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The black bezel and strap are the same shade of black (other than the lettering) on all 3 shown above (I don't have a BD).
Thanks for the info.

I was leaning toward the straight module swap as then one has the darker "eye" and glass lettering plus the blacked out lettering on both inner and outer bezels of the FB with the positive module of the -1.
Oh wait. So the eye and all the lettering on that same plane of glass isn't part of the module? I was thinking it was, and therefore what I was mentioning above about mixing dark and bright lettering. If changing modules makes the FB look exactly how it does now, including lettering and eye, and only inverses the LCD display itself, I think I'd be tempted to switch modules rather than putting FB bezels on a non-FB.

But all the same, I'd still like to know what's involved in an inner and outer bezel swap.

And if someone could photoshop all the permutations of all possible bezel / module combinations, so I could see in advance how it will turn out, that would be grand. LOL, j/k

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Thanks very much for that pic. Looks great. Is that before or after the BD outer bezel? I'm not sure what you mean by smaller lettering on the BD outer bezel... looking at pics online, they all look the same size to me across all the 2310 models. I guess I should make sure I have my terminology correct... by outer bezel I mean the outermost plastic with mode, adjust, forward, back lettering on it.

What was involved in replacing the inner and outer bezels?
The photo I provided is after the modification. The before photo would be more like this: GW-2310. As you can see, the original inner bezel is chrome. The lettering on the outer bezel (black resin) on the BD looks a little thinner/smaller than on the original GW-2310. It's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable to me.

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
I wish Casio made a version such as your mod. I would have bought it instead of my GW2310 with positive display and chrome ring. I 'm not up for tracking down small parts and attempting a mod yet.

Have a great day,

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
I wish Casio made a version such as your mod. I would have bought it instead of my GW2310 with positive display and chrome ring. I 'm not up for tracking down small parts and attempting a mod yet.
Just wait until you've got the need to order a few CASIO watch parts from PacParts, then get the bezel along with the order--this way you avoid a separate shipping cost for the bezel. That's the only part you really need... well, you can also order the double-stick tape along with the bezel, which is a good idea (you can use other adhesives though if you forget). You can fill in the lettering on the existing bezel with black paint. I got the replacement outer bezel because my original had some slight gouges in it.

Incidentally, while digging through stuff in my toss-or-save project this weekend, I managed to find the Testors black enamel paint I'd had tucked away long ago. So I applied it to the "G" and the outer bezel labels... man, is it sweet! I should have done this the moment I installed the black IP inner bezel. Now it looks even closer to the GW-2310FB, but with positive display. I'll wear my GW-2310 tomorrow and take photos.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
GW-2310_mod1.jpg
View attachment 1242751

I need to fill in the "ADJUST" one more time, and I'll give the "G" one more fill as well. Otherwise, I'm really liking the modification--much more than before. Really gives it a stealth look while still maintaining a positive display.

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
The final mod looks great.
Testors model paint. Man, that and some model glue bring back memories from 30 years ago. Ha-ha. Everyone smell that, that's our childhood of a by-gone era.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Very smart fella. I really like them swapped over - the chrome is enough of a highlight on the neg display version and the positive display enough for the black surround on the other.

Great work and v tasteful. A much unappreciated G too I might add. I have a GL-170 (the g-lide version) and think it rocks. It shows the full date above the time - 2013 10 - 7 - which not many of the 2300s do.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'm the proud new owner of Steven's ingenious GW2310 hybrid.

Thanks again Steven!

I'm not really into positive displays but the other hybrid of Stevens, with the blacked out case of the GW2310FB with the positive display is enchanting. I may have to do the swap some day.

Steven, was it as easy as removing the modules and re-installing them in opposite cases?

Did you have any problems getting the modules in?

Any problems with the buttons not working after module was re-installed?

Any tips to make it a painless swap?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts