WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a GW300A-1V and it arrived today. I'm planning to use it as my "official" train-watching and camping watch.

When I opened the box, I noticed that the battery charge indicator was on "med". After about an hour in direct sunlight, the charge was reading "high".

Cool.

Less than an hour later, the battery charge went back to "med" again.

Uh-Oh...

Now, I've read about this watch on these forums here, about the module and/or battery having problems. But what the heck, the watch was fairly cheap and I really like this watch.

Sooo, I'm going to set this watch a half-inch under a fluorescent desk lamp for oh, say, 100 hours to see what happens. (I did this exact same thing to my MTG-900 six weeks ago and that watch has remained on a "high" charge ever since).

Stay tuned... :)

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
It is (or was) a problematic model, but that doesn't mean you have a problem.

Remember that 'high' doesn't mean 'full'. It just means that it's more than 66% full. When the battery first gets to 'high' it will drop back again when not in a strong light.

And of course, the watch doesn't need to be on 'high' anyway. Just wear it and expose it to light in a natural way, and the charging will take care of itself.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is (or was) a problematic model, but that doesn't mean you have a problem.

Remember that 'high' doesn't mean 'full'. It just means that it's more than 66% full. When the battery first gets to 'high' it will drop back again when not in a strong light.

And of course, the watch doesn't need to be on 'high' anyway. Just wear it and expose it to light in a natural way, and the charging will take care of itself.
After about two hours under my fluorescent desk lamp, I see that the charge has gone back to "high".

So it must be right on that 66% charge level. Since Indiana USA sees very little actual sunlight this time of year, I'll leave the watch under this lamp for awhile...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'd just wear it... In a few days time you'll notice its on high all the time... At least thats what I'd bet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd just wear it... In a few days time you'll notice its on high all the time... At least thats what I'd bet.
I'm not really worried, it's just that I've heard "bad" things about this watch...

BTW, what I forgot to mention in my original post was that this watch came out of the box with the "auto EL" set to on.

So it's been inside a closed box for a few days being jostled... being delivered and all that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts