WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else find it unusual that the gw5000 has no other variations after all these years? Yes there is the gw5000b with the negative display but it stopped only after a year of production. Seven years and the gw5000 remained in its original form.

I personally would like to see (or insta-buy) a gw5000g with a color variation same as the dw5600eg (gold buttons, buckles, gold letters, gold hue lcd, gold screwback)

Or a gw5000kg

or a gw-t5000

making more variations of this popular watch would make casio more $$$

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I actually think it's somewhat surprising that Casio keeps making the GW-5000. It's truly for collectors and enthusiasts only. I think Casio has probably sold more of each 6900 colourway than all GW-5000s ever, for example.

I like the idea of not having multiple variations. The GW-5000 is the current iteration of THE original G-Shock. It is special because it is the antithesis of what G-Shock has become. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
I'm kind of glad they have kept it as-is.

I have about 50 Gs and Protreks, give or take a few. All kinds of models and sizes. Today, I wanted to wear one that was low-profile (literally, in height), AND super comfortable. What did I reach for? The GW-5000. :-! It's pretty awesome in its current form.

·
Registered
813 Posts
^ Not to derail the thread Time4Playnow, but that's a great collection. Which models do you wear and like the most?

John

P.S. I had a GW-5000 and lost it! Really miss it and hope to buy another.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
^ Not to derail the thread Time4Playnow, but that's a great collection. Which models do you wear and like the most?

John

P.S. I had a GW-5000 and lost it! Really miss it and hope to buy another.
I wear the Rangeman the most, without a doubt. (I have 7 Rangeman versions!!) I like all of the Gs and Protreks I have, but I'll get into a habit where I'll wear the same few for 2-3 weeks or longer. Then switch them out. Right now it's a Ranger, MTG, GW-5000, and my new favorite Protrek, the PRW-3100G.

I'm wearing my GW-5000 right now! ;-)

Reactions: JohnM

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
M5610 has the same movement as the GW-5000, without the screwback case and DLC, available in several different colors

GW-M5610SD

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Anyone else find it unusual that the gw5000 has no other variations after all these years?
Part of the exclusivity of the GW-5000 is that there are NOT a lot of those watches produced, and they have to be imported from Japan. More versions would mean that it was less exclusive, and would probably lower the artificially inflated price. (Yes, it costs more to produce a G-Shock with a DLC-coated steel case, but it can't cost THAT much more!)

I think the porter collab titanium (gw-t5030) is a variant of gw5000
The Porter collab has a caseback which is attached with four screws, which means it doesn't have a steel case, and which means it's a variant of the GW-M5610: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/new-porter-g-shock-5600-release-2838498.html

·
Registered
166 Posts
Part of the exclusivity of the GW-5000 is that there are NOT a lot of those watches produced, and they have to be imported from Japan. More versions would mean that it was less exclusive, and would probably lower the artificially inflated price. (Yes, it costs more to produce a G-Shock with a DLC-coated steel case, but it can't cost THAT much more!)

The Porter collab has a caseback which is attached with four screws, which means it doesn't have a steel case, and which means it's a variant of the GW-M5610: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/new-porter-g-shock-5600-release-2838498.html
I was thinking about this 30th anniv model.. And its also a porter collab..ü

http://50-gs.blogspot.com/2013/07/g-shock-30-gw-t5030c-1jr-one-watch.html?m=1

Courtesy of sir @Sjors

hawlrite!

·
Registered
166 Posts
M5610 has the same movement as the GW-5000, without the screwback case and DLC, available in several different colors

GW-M5610SD

I like the text layout of this model. Silimar to gw5000, and the heritage dial layout of dw5600s which is more neat and less cluttery.. Unlike the other gw-m's that follow the dw5000 layout which dor me is quite busy.. Though i have few of those that have that layout.. Argggg, this 5600 sickness!

hawlrite!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think he meant the 30th anniv screwback titanium gw-t5030 the one that came in a porter bag and costs a whopping $1000 (which upon checking amazon, now ballooned to $3,000)

and yes! i want that 30th titanium screwback... And no, i dont have $3000 lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Whoops! My mistake -- and this is apparently what happens when some companies do TOO MANY "collabs." I knew I'd just seen one, and didn't know there were two of them!
Well its ok! Even me would not try to remember that piece. Ridiculuosly very very expensive now.

BTW, kinda off topic..can you or do you know what is that android application that i can use to have my mb6 get radio signal? I know it was mentioned here on some threads, i have a hard time finding it or i just couldnt find the right key words finding it. Is that app really effective or useful for sync-ing.

Thanks!

hawlrite!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well its ok! Even me would not try to remember that piece. Ridiculuosly very very expensive now.

BTW, kinda off topic..can you or do you know what is that android application that i can use to have my mb6 get radio signal? I know it was mentioned here on some threads, i have a hard time finding it or i just couldnt find the right key words finding it. Is that app really effective or useful for sync-ing.

Thanks!

hawlrite!
Iirc its called jjy simulator

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yes I love the fact that they produce the GW-5000 in only one form. I wore it this week and so enjoyed the minimalist nature and the classic design.

I was going to correct Mike K but I knew somebody else would.....

Sorry for the poor quality must do better next time....hahahaha

Sent from my...

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes I love the fact that they produce the GW-5000 in only one form. I wore it this week and so enjoyed the minimalist nature and the classic design.

I was going to correct Mike K but I knew somebody else would.....

Sorry for the poor quality must do better next time....hahahaha

Sent from my...
do you need a wife? I can trade mine for that watch hahaha :))

·
Registered
767 Posts
It was funny I wore both of them this week as I have not worn them for a while...
I nicknamed the GW-5000 Clark Kent and the T5030 is Superman I seem to remember somebody on here mentioned that lol.

Sent from my...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts