WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my GW5000; awesome watch and superbly square.:-!

However, anyone knows how long before I have to switch out the solar-charged battery? I hope to get at least 10 years out of the watch without changing the battery, but who knows how long this sort of technology will last?

If it requires a battery change, is it simple enough to do it myself or do I need to ship it to Japan?

·
Registered
238 Posts
It is simple enough to do yourself, I've done a few battery changes on non-solar G's and it looks to me like it it isn't too much harder, I've seen people say the same as me.

People have a wide range of estimates for a CTL1616, ranging from 10 to 20 years, the technology isn't that old so it is hard to say for sure, but I bet you can get at least ten if you keep it charged.

One thing that seems to be a consensus is to keep your watch on 'H' if you want the battery to last.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Never if you treat it right. Most important: no depletion of the battery ever!
I agree with your no depletion point, but the battery can have flaws, or open up and leak, lithium will corrode extremely fast under any amount of oxygen.

Its life is only theoretically infinite, something will happen to it eventually.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
10-15 years I think but as mentioned, don't let the battery go to low keep it up in medium or high, because if it goes low it can mess the battery up, opening it up is simple and switching the battery is also easy so no need to send it to Japan.

....and Congrats.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Fer is about right, the CTL-1616 batteries should last about 15-20 years. If you keep the watch fully charged most of the time, it will last longer. Letting it go down to "LOW" damages the chemistry of the battery which will shorten its runtime from a full charge and shorten it's overall lifespan.

The CTL-1616 battery is more than double the cost of a typical CR-2016 battery, but you're talking about $8 for the lowest street price. They are about $6 from PacParts. And changing them is no different than any other large coin cell battery. Some models have an adhesive sticker that is placed over the battery, but these usually remove with most of the adhesive intact and can be reapplied. They're not crucial to operation, though.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have an old GW-300 from around 2002 to 2003 with the time-honored CTL-1616 rechargeable battery and it's not showing any signs of battery troubles. Basically it's all the owners of these 1st generation Solar-Atomics and other Tough Solar CASIO watches that first used the CTL-1616 battery that are gonna let us know (if they bother) how much real-world life we can expect of these batteries.

I also have a G-Lide from 2005 with the same battery that sat on the shelf as dead stock in a store until totally discharged. After letting it sit on my window sill for several days it charged up to the Mid-level and never went higher, so like others have already said, I wouldn't put a Tough Solar G in a drawer or box and forget about it. Need to keep them somewhere in the light.

Screwbacks like the GW-5000 need a special tool to unscrew the caseback. Some tools can scratch and nick, others won't. Esslinger.com sells a Case Opener called "Friction Ball" which is guaranteed to not damage your caseback--> Watch Back Opener Ball - Case Ball | Esslinger Watchmaker Tools <---Check out the video. Aside from that, by the time you ever change the battery, you'll be overdue for a new gasket. If it's like the old DW-5000 - 5600, it's just a simple O-ring type gasket which you can also purchase from Esslinger once you know the diameter & thickness. Put a little silicone grease on it, screw it back down and you're good for another 15-20 yrs.

You'll probably be needing to replace your resin about the same time the battery gets wonky (If it does).

Reactions: lvt

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
^Friction Ball doesn't usually work for the first twist because the caseback is on pretty tight direct from the factory. But after the first turn or so it's very useful to get rid of potentially scratching the caseback. I use a tool from amazon that was like 4-6 dollars then the friction ball and I tighten it up with the friction ball and then give it a couple of turns with the tool. I completely forgot about resin, you'll probably need a new strap before you need a new battery, assuming you use it.

·
Registered
20,870 Posts
Like others already said, never let the battery drop to low level, it would last a decade without problem. Disable auto light is the most efficient way to save energy.

Reactions: xevious

·
Registered
279 Posts
... Disable auto light is the most efficient way to save energy.
If you wear the watch (and GW-5000 is made to wear) auto light wont harm the battery or battery life at anyhow. The watch just staying on the wrist usually gets enough sunlight to feed way more than auto light, multiple alarms a day and whatever else you can use (If you don't live in England of course :) ).
When I received my GW-5000 i pressed the light button for more than an hour just to move my indicator from Hi to Medium (Just to see the indicator working) . Lost cause. At last I didn't have patience enought to finnish the job. Someone here have to try this some day and post the results.

·
Registered
20,870 Posts
If you wear the watch (and GW-5000 is made to wear) auto light wont harm the battery or battery life at anyhow. The watch just staying on the wrist usually gets enough sunlight to feed way more than auto light, multiple alarms a day and whatever else you can use (If you don't live in England of course :) ).
When I received my GW-5000 i pressed the light button for more than an hour just to move my indicator from Hi to Medium (Just to see the indicator working) . Lost cause. At last I didn't have patience enought to finnish the job. Someone here have to try this some day and post the results.
It depends on whether your watch has the chance to charge, from what I know solar watches only charge when the light source is bright enough. Office lighting ambience and wrist angle aren't always good enough to charge.

Reactions: GrouchoM

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,805 Posts
So mine just died after 12 years. Now we know.
Oh wow. Can we see a pic of the old fella? Have you tried leaving it in sunlight for a few days?

My older one is about 8 years old. I guess I may have to see about getting the battery replace in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GrouchoM

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Oh wow. Can we see a pic of the old fella? Have you tried leaving it in sunlight for a few days?

My older one is about 8 years old. I guess I may have to see about getting the battery replace in a few years.

Hi. The thing is, in the light it charges up to high no problems, but then after a few hours of being in the dark it dies (so basically the battery no longer holds a significant charge).

·
Registered
Rolex Sub 116610LN || Rolex Datejust 126234 36mm Slate dial and Roman markers || G-Shock GW-5000-1JF
2,376 Posts
I don't notice any battery degradation on my 9-year-old GW-5000 yet 🤔. Seems to hold the charge as good as it did brand new.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The average lifespan is greater than 12 years, however some people experience failures sooner. It can be due to operating conditions (extremes of temperature, over-discharge, etc) or it can simply be bad luck.

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,805 Posts
The average lifespan is greater than 12 years, however some people experience failures sooner. It can be due to operating conditions (extremes of temperature, over-discharge, etc) or it can simply be bad luck.
I remember reading that if a solar watch is allowed to drain completely for a long period of time it could kill the battery and shorten its capacity to hold maximum charge.

Reactions: entropy96

·
Registered
Rolex Sub 116610LN || Rolex Datejust 126234 36mm Slate dial and Roman markers || G-Shock GW-5000-1JF
2,376 Posts
I remember reading that if a solar watch is allowed to drain completely for a long period of time it could kill the battery and shorten its capacity to hold maximum charge.

Yep. That's why I keep my solars charged til "H". It takes a long time for it to dip to "M". Only takes around 2-4 days in a window sill with some shade to charge again back to "H" though, but it depends on location. I've seen others here use some sort of UV light charger.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts