WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to make my next G a GW-M5600BC-1JF, but I found that they are not readily available and expensive.

I have both a GW5600J and GW5600BCJ on the way. I do not like the orange/red lettering on the bezel and crystal of the BCJ, but perfer the bracelet band and would most likely want a negative display.

My plan is to combine parts of both watches to get close to the M5600BC by:

1. Swapping the BCJ's bracelet to the J's bezel to eliminate the orange/red lettering of the BCJ..
2. Swapping the BCJ's module for the J's to get the negative display and eliminate the orange/red lettering of the BCJ's crystal.

My main questions are whether or not there would be any problem swapping the modules and whether or not the orange/red lettering will travel with the BCJ's module.

Also, plan to stealth the lettering on the J's bezel for a stealthed look.

I know that may be a bit confusing, but basically I want this:
M5600BC

By combining this: GW5600J

With this: GW5600BCJ

Any input would be appreciated.

:thanks

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I understand what you want to do. You must be careful when swapping the modules, as you may have to disconnect the atomic antenna, which is very very thin. Make sure not to break it. Other than that, it will end up looking exactly the way you want. Just remove the backs, and swap out the modules. Then swap the bracelets, and one will look how you intend it to.

Very good idea for a mod you have there.

I have the BCJ that you have on the way, and actually like the orange touches. I'd be hesitant to stealth the BCJ's bezel, as I think the orange line will then stand out, and there's no other orange to really coordinate with it.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there an actual disconnecting and reconnecting that I must do or is the antenna just sort of hanging off the module?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
bfgreen has done this. I believe it's a very small cable plugged into a very thin connecter, and there might be a very small screw holding it in. Hopefully he can chime in here.

I remember him saying that once it was all done, he'd probably never do it again. I think you can do it if you take your time, and pace yourself. Just don't force anything.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Vintage. That was really helpful. Looks like it is sandwiched in with the other parts of the module so if I am careful I should be ok. I can always close it back up if I chicken out. I will try to take some good pictures of the process and hopefully also of the finished product and post them.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Yes, you can do it. It's just a matter of not going too fast. Remember, one step at a time always.

I'm sure you'll do fine. :-!

And in case of doubt, stop. Post here what's happening. There are some posters here who know this module well and will help you.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
You must be careful when swapping the modules, as you may have to disconnect the atomic antenna, which is very very thin.
Yes I agree I accidentally snapped the multi sensor when swapping the module on a DW-6500, it now has no sensor function and flashes 'error' intermittently!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I just landed a GW5600BJ so it looks like I will not be taking the mod plunge after all.

Somehow I will end up with 3 new G's in this process - go figure!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts