WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if one of the owners would be so kind and measure the width of CASIO's GW5600J-1 strap in 2 locations:

1. Directly above the buckle (the side of strap WITHOUT holes)
2. The other strap - where the holes ARE present (I'd need a measurement in the poriton of the strap that does include the holse; not above holes; not below)

Both measurements in milimeters please.

I'm asking because I was wondering if putting a deployant buckle on a
GW5600J-1 band is feasible. I figure my past bad experiances with rubber / plastic CASIO straps could be avoided or maybe even eliminated if I could put less strain on the strap by replacing stock bucle with a deployant...

BTW - has anybody tried doing such a thing on a rubber G-Shock strp?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi,

I do not have the information you requested, only that the straps are usually quite long, but just wanted to say that the straps on a G-Shock a normally made out of Poly-Urethane not rubber. After a year they still look like new on mine, but I have always a little space between the strap and the wrist.

Also I think that a different kind of buckle does not change the strain on any of the parts. Might be wrong on this though:)

When done with your change please tell us about your expiriences with the new buckle type.

Have a nice day,

Ad.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I can't help with the dimensions you need, but I've just put a rubber strap and deployment clasp on a Seiko, and really wish you could do something similar with a G-Shock. G-Shock bands are often not as 'meaty' as I would like, particularly on models like the 5600 and 6900. Clasps are by far the neatest way to do things, in my opinion, and I'd love to see a way of utilising them on a G-Shock. Unfortunatley, the lug width on G-Shocks wouldn't allow something really nice, like a 22mm or 24mm band.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Not a bad idea...
I just installed a Zulu strap with adapters, but I like your idea too. I'd appreciate a photo when your done.

My 5600E (no doubt the same measurements) is:

19mm at buckle (female)
18.5mm strap (male)

Good luck!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Not a bad idea...
I just installed a Zulu strap with adapters, but I like your idea too. I'd appreciate a photo when your done.

My 5600E (no doubt the same measurements) is:

19mm at buckle (female)
18.5mm strap (male)

Good luck!
Tanks for the info. Will certainly post some photos if I in fact undertake the 'project'

However, looking closely at the photos of GW5600J-1 - it appears that the LCD does not show the date (day/month) but only shows the day of the week. Could someone pls confirm this? This would be a major problem - if not a show stopper for me... I like my digital watches to show time, day of the week as well as date.

DW5600E-1V (non-atomic; non solar version of the 'classic' looking G) seems to have day/date/month on the LCD but it seems that the newer, solar atomic model only has day of the week? Could GW5600J-1 owners pls confirm?

Thnk you,
Michael

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I'm not an owner, but I believe it takes a button press to toggle between day and date. The G-5600, on the other hand, shows both, and for my money that makes it a better watch (looks better too).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Tanks for the info. Will certainly post some photos if I in fact undertake the 'project'

However, looking closely at the photos of GW5600J-1 - it appears that the LCD does not show the date (day/month) but only shows the day of the week. Could someone pls confirm this? This would be a major problem - if not a show stopper for me... I like my digital watches to show time, day of the week as well as date.

DW5600E-1V (non-atomic; non solar version of the 'classic' looking G) seems to have day/date/month on the LCD but it seems that the newer, solar atomic model only has day of the week? Could GW5600J-1 owners pls confirm?
Yep, your are correct; however, you can push one of the buttons while in the main time-keeping mode to toggle between "day of week name" and "numeric month-day". Some folk here don't mind that button operation, others it bothers, and, like you said, it can be a show-stopper for some.

I hope you can get to a JCPenny that has the GW-5600 in stock and check it out in person. While the DW-5600, G-5600, and GW-5600 look quite similar in case styling, there are indeed some subtle differences that one needs to "feel", such as, button depression-action, button placement in the contours of the case notches, depth of the LCD numerals below the crystal, LCD info-text-icon layout, module mode features, maximum stop-watch and countdown timer durations; world-time vs. dual-time vs. no extra time mode, etc.

Read through these manuals, and that should help a little bit on features, but you may want to go to Wal-Mart to handle the DW-5600, JCPenny the GW-5600, and, well, the G-5600 (solar, not Wave Ceptor) is probably only purchased on-line.

G-5600:
http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_manual/wat/en/qw2597.pdf

DW-5600:
http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_manual/wat/en/qw1545.pdf

GW-5600:
http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_manual/wat/en/qw2924.pdf

Good luck picking another G-Shock!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Boris has them - that's where mine came from -

http://www.seiko5ers.com/Casio.htm
Am I reading this right? $125 + shipping for a watch that is NOT radio controlled? Unless one is a collector (and I'm not) I'd find it hard to justiyfy buing an almost identical looking watch with less features for more than twice the price...

On a persnal note - I would not buy a non-raiod contrlled quartz watch - period. But that's just me ;-)

Michael

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Pricing varies greatly around the world. In the UK there aren't many G-Shocks below $125.

$125 = £66. In the UK, a basic G-8000 is around £60, as is a non-solar and non-atomic Mudman, and even a G-100.

None of those are even tough solar, so you can imagine what a waveceptor costs. In that context, Boris's price is fine.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Pricing varies greatly around the world. In the UK there aren't many G-Shocks below $125.

$125 = £66. In the UK, a basic G-8000 is around £60, as is a non-solar and non-atomic Mudman, and even a G-100.

None of those are even tough solar, so you can imagine what a waveceptor costs. In that context, Boris's price is fine.
Understood. I was comparing that price to what and atomic solar GW5600J-1 can be had for in the US: $75 delivered.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
That's the price you pay for an imported model.

Something to remember:

The G-5600 is known for a rather high rate of battery failure, where the GW-5600 is not.

The G-5600 does have a more versatile countdown timer than the GW-5600, if that is required.

I personally prefer the GW-5600. Much better looking overall. MUCH nicer caseback. Atomic Solar rules.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with Buzz. The casback is pretty darn cool.
It's almost like that of "brushed" titanium casebacks, but it's stainless steel. :-!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not a bad idea...
Looks like the 'project' will be a GO after all ;-) I decided to sell the other G I just bought and picked up a GW5600J-1 instead. Before the buckle swap - it costs about half as much as the other watch and I REALLY like the 'classic' look. If only the LCD had one extra row of digits to display date and day of the week at the same time ;-)

Will post photo once the buckle arrives in the mail (and assuming it fits). Should be at some point next week

Michael

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks like the 'project' will be a GO after all ;-) I decided to sell the other G I just bought and picked up a GW5600J-1 instead. Before the buckle swap - it costs about half as much as the other watch and I REALLY like the 'classic' look. If only the LCD had one extra row of digits to display date and day of the week at the same time ;-)

Will post photo once the buckle arrives in the mail (and assuming it fits). Should be at some point next week

Michael
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead...

Just curious if anybody knows if this model, GW-5600J-1, can accept the GW-M5600BC Stealth Bracelet. I may have come across a a great deal on the the J model and I think it would look awesome with the resin/metal band. I know the GW-5600J-1 isn't as wide as the other 5600 models so I assume there could be some fitting issues. Anybody out there try this already? Or can anybody provide some measurements? Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I believe the GW-M bracelet and/or strap WILL NOT fit the GW model. The case, and subsequently the end links, are different between the two models. Casio does (or did)make a metal/resin black IP bracelet for the GW5600. Maybe check with Tiktox in the UK, or Casio SalesandService in the US. The bracelet, btw, is very nice and not inexpensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.