WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the whole G-Shock thing and have some questions about the gw9000 mudman. I've never been a digital watch fan, but these are very cool! My question is, how lond dothey last? do the bands wear out quickly, or last a long time? How good is casio's customer service if I have a problem? I'm alittle nervous about spending around 100USD for a digital watch unless it will last a long time.

TIA
Dave

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Well, while I'm pretty new to G's as well, you can get the regular Mudman for $59. If you need some places to get it at that price, PM me and I'll give you some links. Otherwise, they are tough as nails, light, comfortable, the watch should last for a very long time the only issue may be the resin rot. You can get the solar/atomic Mudman for $99, that way you won't have to worry about battery changes and you'll have a more rare mudman.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was looking for the atomic one. They have them on sale at the JC Pennys near me for close to that price. Is the resin rot common? Does it happen fast, or like years down the road?

·
Registered
986 Posts
It should last you for years

Yes Resin rot occurs after many years of use but it should last you for a while. This is if you wear it 24/7 if you wear it off and on it will last longer.

The GW-9000 Mudman is a great watch worth the price of $100 but if you are looking to get it cheaper, then i would suggest you hold off on it until closer to the holidays and you might be able to snag it at Penney's for $80-$90 range during a sale

Cheers

Leon

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for your comments. Thanks for the advice Leon, the day after thanksgiving sale will probably be a good time.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I agree, I remember I got a G-shock for my 16th birthday, and was still wearing it at age 19/20, with no signs of resin rot (and it looked like it would have lasted at least as long again, if I hadn't lost it).

If you go for the GW-9000, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I got one recently, and it's been awesome. Make sure you read up about the battery failure problem with some of the new solar Casios on this forum though - we wouldn't want you to be the unlucky person who had it happen to them after we all recommended this watch so highly to you, hehe. From what I've read, it's pretty uncommon anyway.

Also, if you've never physically held a mudman or tried one on, I'd recommend you do so at a shop first, because some people don't like the stiff buttons on them. They do soften up a little bit after you use them.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
the mudman GW-9000 is certainly a good watch (I have one myself) but nevertheless I wouldn't recommend it to one who isn't in badly need of the "mudresist" structure. the buttons are pretty stiff and way to uncomfortable to use for daly purposes in my opinion. if you just looking for a digital watch and you like the mudman design you may better off with a GW-810D-1A:

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/GW810_Series/product/GW810D-1A/

which is similar in design, and the exact same features (basically its the same module).

I also would like to note that the mudman G-9000 has the better module and features, though its neither atomic nor solar....

regards, holger

·
Registered
762 Posts
As you can see I am a rather big Mudman fan, and had never owned a digital watch until I purchased the white camo muddie. Haven't had them long enough to comment on long term issues, but they are light and comfortable, and do everything I need a watch to do. The buttons do push hard, but I am getting used to it. They seem to be pretty indestructable as far as construction.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the replies! I have tried the mudman and do like it. I'm going to give what little patience i have an exercise and wait for the day after thanksgiving sales and see if i can get it for less.

Dave

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Thanks to all for the replies! I have tried the mudman and do like it. I'm going to give what little patience i have an exercise and wait for the day after thanksgiving sales and see if i can get it for less.

Dave
If you go to Penney's, ask them if they have any discount "scratch off" cards. You get either 10 or 15% when you do the "scratch off" (ya know, like the lotto tickets!):-!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts