WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to change timer settings on my gwg1000 often enough that I was thinking of leaving the smartcrown unscrewed. I was wondering if the watch has ANY water resistance with the crown out? I have a reactor Poseidon that still has a certain degree of water resistance with the crown out. Hoping the G-shock does too?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The Mudmaster GWG 1000 has a dual seal inside the crown pipe. The crown shaft is about the same size as the shaft of the buttons. So by design, the water resistance at the crown shaft won't be any different than at the buttons. By the way the buttons can be turned as well of course.

The way I see it, ironically the 'problem' may actually arise from the crown shaft's ADDITIONAL, 3RD seal that is engaged when the crown is tightened down. While this may give an additional layer of protection, it may create issues when the crown is tightened down while wet.

Because as a WET crown is tightened down, trapped water behind the 3rd seal can be pushed past the double seal at point of the final tightening turn, when the 3rd seal is already engaged.

So while I would have no problems going to swim with my crown open, I would definitely not try to close a crown under wet conditions.

The following picture is a screenshot that I took from YouTuber and G-Shock enthusiast "gshock highfashion" 's YouTube Channel as he disassembles a Mudmaster. The dual seals inside the crown pipe are clearly visible:

I have many spare Mudmaster parts including a crown with it's built in '3rd' seal. Unfortunately I can't find my crown picture with the '3rd' seal at the moment. I hope my word is enough. If I find that picture, I will update this post with it.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
Interesting question. If you hang out in the dive watch subforum here, as I sometimes do, you'll read as I have that the "screw-down" crown function on dive watches is normally 100% unnecessary. That is, the watch's water resistance withOUT the crown screwed down is exactly the same as it is when the crown is screwed in. The screw-down function is there to help keep the crown from getting damaged or maybe opened (pulled out) accidentally when the watch is underwater.

(side anecdote: I was told by Watchbuys, the only Sinn AD in the U.S., that one time they came out with a dive watch model with NO screw-down crown. Customers complained. So they went back to adding in the screw-down function, even though it is NOT necessary on that watch - or probably any dive watch.)

So "most likely," the GWG-1000's crown operates the same way. And Wes51's informative post above would seem to suggest that. What he says about the 3rd seal makes sense, so clearly, don't try to screw the crown IN while underwater.

If it were me and I actually wanted to use my GWG-1000 in this manner, I would call Casio to confirm. I'm sure they can tell you for certain. Then, no worries. ;)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
...The screw-down function is there to help keep the crown from getting damaged or maybe opened (pulled out) accidentally when the watch is underwater...
This is a very good point. I have not thought about this. It makes perfect sense. Because like you have mentioned an unlocked crown must be more exposed to damage than a locked one, so it would make sense to lock the crown for protection. And a damaged, bent crown may be provide a good chance for water intrusion.

I believe the 3rd seal is only used as an extra precaution and perhaps to keep out sand and debris from getting to the crown pipe area. Also the Mudmaster has actually a 4th layer of protection, the plastic ring that is visible in the picture around the crown pipe. This makes the surface that provides a solid base for the closed crown. Overall I think this is an awesome and 'bullet proof' design. I see little to no chance that water can ever pass these seals, crown open or not. Still, as mentioned before, out of an abundance of caution, I wouldn't close the crown while wet.

.. If it were me and I actually wanted to use my GWG-1000 in this manner, I would call Casio to confirm...
I actually did this, I asked in person at Casio West Coast, but the official position is still a cautious and conservative one.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
I actually did this, I asked in person at Casio West Coast, but the official position is still a cautious and conservative one.
Not surprising. :rolleyes: It might be their standard answer out of an overabundance of caution. It's also possible that the person you spoke to doesn't understand the technical aspects of how crowns & seals work, so they just "towed the party line" instead of working to find a true, technical answer based upon actual knowledge of how it works. But what do I know - just one customer out of many. 😅 I can say what I'd do if I worked for them. I'd endeavor to provide a REAL answer based upon facts.

So OP, if Casio is no help, then I guess you're on your own with the advice you received here.

Reactions: WES51

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I couldn't find that crown seal picture, but I remebered posting about it, so with some luck I found that old post:

Picture of the 3rd o-ring seal inside the crown:
I took this picture with my phone of my spare crown that I hamstered for a possible future 'rainy day'. Sorry for the poor photo quality.
If we examine this setup closely, we can see that the dual crown pipe seal must be doing the sealing at the thick part of the shaft, which may provide an even better sealing surface than the buttons have.

·
Registered
333 Posts
in some thread here the guys complain about defective/broken stems of the gwg-1000, while it was unscrewed. it seems fragile. aint no vostok amphibian, better screw that in.

btw interesting info about some dive watches not needing the crown. then again i ask myself, why the crowns have rubber seals inside them, like in a ny0040. wont be just to protect the thread ending.
i think it depends on the watch design.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
btw interesting info about some dive watches not needing the crown. then again i ask myself, why the crowns have rubber seals inside them, like in a ny0040. wont be just to protect the thread ending.
i think it depends on the watch design.
Sorry, maybe you misunderstood the earlier post, or I am misunderstanding yours....not sure. (I AM on my 2nd Twisted Tea, so....you never know) ;)

The point was that dive watches do not need the "screw-down" portion of the crown. They very much DO need the rubber seals, that gives the watch the water resistance. The "screwing down" of the crown is "not" responsible for the watch's water resistance. Some ppl mistakenly believe that it is.

Reactions: WES51
1 - 12 of 12 Posts